Pushing Through Plateaus

Options
I have been on MFP for 3 months now. I am down 30lbs. I have quite a bit more to lose. What are peoples suggestions on pushing through plateaus, or kicking it up a notch to get over this stagnantcy that I have reached in my weight loss. Any ideas would be helpful. I am starting to get discouraged that the scale is not showing much progress.

Replies

• buckobuckobucko
    Options
    I hit a plateau as well at 30 lbs. I changed my goals from losing 2 lbs a week to losing 1 and MFP increased my calories by about 200. Ever since I started having more calories my metabolism has picked back up and I am starting to see a change about. Averaging I would say about 1/2 lb a week.
  • hofosho1020
    Options
    I agree with upping your calories, at least for a while. I upped from 1200 to 1480 and since averaging closer to that 1400, I've dropped 5 pounds under where I was stuck.
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had a plateau from the last week of December through to the end of January. I didn't lose an ounce. I was perfect during the holidays and it was so frustrating to have no results at all. I was so upset but I had MFP friends who helped me push through. But last week I finally lost a little bit.
    I didn't try eating more because I was afraid to, but after reading all of the posts on this site I think it might be a good idea.
  • babbygail
    Options
    I definately will probably end up changing MFP to 1 pound for a few weeks like suggested. It is hard to get that through your brain that you may have to eat more to lose the weight! I have also the last week or two really kicked up my excercising to a higher intensity, so it makes sense that I may have to increase my cals a little bit! Thanks for the support!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Consider varying your exercise routine. Your body, unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, does get very efficient at doing exercises (particularly if you're doing the exact same routine). Change up what you're doing. For cardio, add in intervals or change the type you're doing or try working out twice a day (once in the morning, once in the evening). Are you doing any weight lifting/strength training? I HIGHLY recommend doing that. It increases muscle - this means there's more muscle to burn calories, always a good thing.

Good luck!