How I survived the Super Bowl Party

Options
MikeG2
MikeG2 Posts: 97 Member
Just a quick note on how I managed to make it through a Super Bowl Party: The afternoon before it, I biked for over 40 km (hard, as I am a biking guy) and burned 1300 calories, according to my GPS/HRM watch. I had lots of allowance to eat whatever, and still estimate that I had 1000 calories to spare at the end of the day.

I find that food related events are always managed better when I do a preemptive assault on the calories beforehand with a great workout.

Replies

• tsornoza
    tsornoza Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    good job, i didn't survive. i went over. i have a weigh in on wednesday moring, have to work really hard today and tomorrow to meet my goal.

congrats to you
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    awesome advice- way to plan ahead!! I'm now in damage control mode.. wishing i had done the same as you LOL
  • IttyKnittyBitty
    Options
    Great advice! I tried to do the same-- burn a bunch before the game. I burned about 600 calories. Whew!

Also, I made some healthy alternative snacks for the game. People loved them! Also, I logged most of my snacks (and my dinner) before I left for the party. I knew I had a couple hundred left after I logged everything for the inevitable snacking and tastings haha
  • 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I ate before the super bowl party. And I had a chicken breast with bacon bits and cheese so I was satisfied before I even went. They had some goodies and maid rites but between my supper and 3 cups of water before I left, I was able to not put anything in my mouth at all :) I figured if I started snacking I wouldn't want to quit.
  • TimeToWork
    Options
    I had a great workout beforehand too and started nibbling on the food early rather than late. I drank a lot of water to keep me feeling full. I didn't go over on calories, but I did on sodium.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    I find that food related events are always managed better when I do a preemptive assault on the calories beforehand with a great workout.

Exactly! I am a big fan of the first strike initiative on calories for target rich engagements.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Heh - crashed and burned as far as eating yesterday. I sort of planned on making it a cheat day, but really...I took cheating to a pretty epic level. Those of you who made it through have my utmost admiration and respect. :flowerforyou:
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great strategy. I worked out, but not as hard as I should have. Basically drank wine & ate crap (although it was vegan crap!). I'm starting over again today on diet. Good job!:drinker:
  • lauriejayne813
    lauriejayne813 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great idea, unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to exercise before (and I would have preferred to do so). What I did do is get calorie counts from a few friends on the dishes they were bringing, I brought fresh black bean salsa, and then stuck to the foods I knew so I didn't sabotage myself. I also left myself enough calories throughout the day to do so. Whew! good job all.
  • TSulprizio
    Options
    We made all healthy food - shrimp ceviche, chicken breast and carne asada grilled on the BBQ. Yum-O!
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Ditto! Got a 90 min. walk at 910 cals. Went to the party with 1100 to spare and made it just under. Pretty healthy menu of Seafood chowder and salad, but the pie at the end was irresistable and I did allow myself some multigrain Tostitos with pico and pimento cheese to start.
    P.S. lost .4 lbs on Sunday!
  • weirj89
    Options

Totally Agree - burnt off 600 calories, and spent time preparing healthy snack, also got by on just bits of fruit and veg and water nothing too high in calories through the day, drank lots of water, by the time it came to the Super Bowl I wasn't even that hungry and survived - hard bit now is the leftovers and dragging them through the week
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing... preemptive assault on calories...but still went over. It's OK though...the damage wasn't as bad as it would have been if I hadn't worked out and I plan a couple extra hard burns this week to equal out.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I went over my daily calories. Thus, I am posting from the grave.
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    Great job! I'm regretting all my poor choices from the weekend (birthda party AND superbowl party). However, I am proud to say I only had 1 beer all weekend. That's significant since I usually consume tons and tons of it on weekends.
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note on how I managed to make it through a Super Bowl Party: The afternoon before it, I biked for over 40 km (hard, as I am a biking guy) and burned 1300 calories, according to my GPS/HRM watch. I had lots of allowance to eat whatever, and still estimate that I had 1000 calories to spare at the end of the day.

i totes agree! always try to smash it at the gym before the parties and what not. also, i try to eat a bit before so i don't eat as much when i get there. :]
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You should have posted your plan before the super bowl.... I went way over and I'm off to the gym today. A cheat day every once in a while is OK, right?
  • CenlaCoach
    Options
    We did pretty good. My wife made whole wheat pita chips, we had a good natural hummus, veggie tray, nuts, and some cooked turkey breast that we sliced up. Thx to my wife for this awesome set up!!!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I went over my daily calories. Thus, I am posting from the grave.

hate when that happens!

There are just SOME days when counting calories isn't a priority........................and beer and chips ARE!

I went over. neener neener......................
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Since I was starved after church I ate a good meal so when I went to the party I was still stuffed. I ended up eating a handful of air popped corn and another of peanuts. Didn't even hit my goal for the day and it was to be my cheat day. I have learned if I am not hungry I just won't eat no matter how yummilicous the treats are.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!