end of the road at work :(

Options
Hi

Well it was Monday morning again and once again I lay in bed till late and contemplated whether to go to work or not. I just don't have the drive or motivation anymore :(

Anyone else been in this position?

Replies

• lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was in that same position years ago when I worked full time as an Administrative Assistant. I used to cry before going to work because I hated it so much. I worked as an Admin Asst for 8 years and got sick up typing up someone else's crap and sitting in meeting after meeting taking the notes and transcribing them and working late. I didnt feel like I was making a difference. Yes the pay was great and I got benefits and vacation and all that good stuff but I wasnt happy. When the bank I worked for merged with another bank they gave us the option of staying on or being laid off. I chose to be laid off, collected my severance and unemployment and went back to school full time fo 1 year for Physical Education. After 1 year of going to school full time, I got a job working for a gym and continued school part time. From there I became a personal trainer...where I actually make a difference in people's lives. I got my Certification through the American Council on Exercise and then started woking full time for Planet Fitness.
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    @mulmhmm, I have been there and walked out of a job I hated 10 years ago to do my own thing... what would you like to do if you don't like your current job - then make a plan to get there
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has been there unless they're really lucky. I worked in a factory for 10 years and felt like that at least once a week. The worst was in a mall shoe store - minimum wage and maximum horrible customers - I quit that after 2 months.

Now I have a job I love and I don't wake up in the mornings wishing it was the weekend. Never settle with a job you don't like... life's too short. Figure out what you enjoy then figure out how to make money for doing it. It took me 17 years but I got there eventually. You can too!
  • Jamiegirl2009
    Jamiegirl2009 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was in that same position years ago when I worked full time as an Administrative Assistant. I used to cry before going to work because I hated it so much. I worked as an Admin Asst for 8 years and got sick up typing up someone else's crap and sitting in meeting after meeting taking the notes and transcribing them and working late. I didnt feel like I was making a difference. Yes the pay was great and I got benefits and vacation and all that good stuff but I wasnt happy. When the bank I worked for merged with another bank they gave us the option of staying on or being laid off. I chose to be laid off, collected my severance and unemployment and went back to school full time fo 1 year for Physical Education. After 1 year of going to school full time, I got a job working for a gym and continued school part time. From there I became a personal trainer...where I actually make a difference in people's lives. I got my Certification through the American Council on Exercise and then started woking full time for Planet Fitness.

Are you kidding me, That is awesome!! so amazing. Thanks for sharing. : )
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Can't tell by your profile what your situation is. Living with your parents? Married? Kids?

I, personally, have a family to support and don't have the luxury of "contemplating" whether or not I will be getting up to go to work.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Can't tell by your profile what your situation is. Living with your parents? Married? Kids?

I, personally, have a family to support and don't have the luxury of "contemplating" whether or not I will be getting up to go to work.

I'm with you. I have a husband and two young children so there is not thought about not going to work or quitting. To the OP, you sound like you really dislike your job, have you been looking for a new one? That is what I'd do if I were in your shoes.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    YES every day...laid in bed crying late night cause i knew i had to go to a job i hate this morning.

but i have a family to support and with the ****ty economy...I dont dare quit before ive found something else
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My last job was like that. We were micromanaged and weren't even allowed to talk to our coworkers. I dreaded going into work every single day. I am the wage earner, so quitting wasn't an option, though I did get my resume out and had lots on interviews and even a couple of job offers that ended up not being a good fit. Then that company closed its doors and my family's business had an opening, so I work here now. Not the most challenging job in the world, but it pays the bills and I don't hate it the way I did my last job.
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    I have , and I have had a job where I used to cry pretty much most of the way there because I hated it so much ...but I couldn't walk out either.

The only thing that made a difference for me was formulating an escape plan , the best way to feel better is to take control and start working on a way out of there .. once you start doing that you know there is an end to this miserable episode and life starts looking up again :-)
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Same situation...

Currently on the hunt for a new one, thankfully the economy isn't too bad up here.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! More and more work with no change in pay and a toxic work environment coupled with the turnover of half the people in my office. I cried almost every day and wound up at the doctor practically begging for anti-depressants. Fortunately, I was able to walk away and focus on raising my kids for a while. I ditto the advice to work on an escape plan! No law says you can't look for a new job while still employed. It isn't like looking for a new wife while you're still married :wink: Just don't advertise what you're doing.
  • jessdb19
    Options
    About 4 years ago I was in a dead end job as inside sales/office/tech support/marketing....(SMALL company).

The pay was horrible..(my ONE raise in 5 years was 10 cents...) No vacation, no benefits...I had to work part time at a school in the late afternoons to make up for it. The manager was a *****-we fought constantly. (One time over the fact that Mac and Apple are the same company....her saying that they weren't...) I worked 32+ hours a week, up to 45 hours a week...plus 20 hours at my other job. Sundays my only day off, 7 AM to 7 PM everyday....

I felt stuck (job interview after job interview...) My second job was wholly supportive (a family), which was one of the only reasons I was able to make it to work every day...knowing that my second job would be my reprieve from the first.

I quit to move 4.5 hours away to move in with my boyfriend (now fiance). Jumped around at a few different places, but landed a dream job (Graphic designer/marketing/advertising/PR)!

My advice-keep looking for jobs and don't be afraid to make some HUGE changes to get what you want.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Little tip I once got that's served me well. When you interview for a job, ask them if they wouldn't mind showing you round the place really quickly. To them it just looks like you're interested in their establishment, but what it really lets you do is look at the faces of everyone else who's working there. If people seem happy and relaxed then you've got a fairly good idea that the company looks after its employees and doesn't piss them off too much. If everyone looks tired and miserable, don't take the job.
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My dream is to win the lottery - big big big time! Go into work and tell the bosses to go f' themselves.... tell them what idiots they are and how everyone hates them! Bu then I got up and got ready and went to work :(
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    Hi

thanks for sharing your experiences guys, Its made me feel positive as i do get holidays, sick pay, but i do feel undervalued, I have worked in a place for 5 years and in comparison to others i am not considered. I spoke to my management last week and they obviously do not have a clue about what work i do and what the market actually pays.

Get this, Senior Accountant @ £18k.

The way they justified it was completely wrong. The problem I have is inequality across the business and the fact that management are pretty clueless about how good and proficient i am at my job and them saying they would make my position redundant if i did leave makes me think that I really do not want to be here a moment longer.

I ain't a f*cking MUG lol
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    After 3+ years of unemployment I am thankful to have a job. Yet I have been exactly where the original poster is at. It got so tough to show up to work that I finally just quit.

I would urge you to evaluate why you are dissatisfied. Is it the pay, the type of work, your bosses, or the people you work with? Then I would look at the things about your current position you can control.

If you decide to leave make sure you have another offer in hand before leaving.

I sincerely wish you well.
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    thankyou Aesop :)

I do have a contingency plan which would allow me to do many things that i do with employment now.

So do you regret quitting?
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I have been in this situation before where I just don't want to go to work, where I hated my position, etc.

What I would suggest is seeking a change. You need to keep your mind challenged and try something new... Like in weightloss you probably feel like you have hit a wall (or a plateau)...so it is now time to challenge yourself!
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I am very lucky. I have a good job. It is pretty secure and I work from home. I do have to go on appointments sometimes. The company I work for is great & I can pretty much schedule how I want as long as I get my work done nobody really cares. I have great benefits. Vacation. Sick time etc.

The workload is however becoming less manageable & more & more stressful. There are many days where I dread climbing the stairs to my 'office' to work. I think my dread is more stress of being the bread winner. Knowing that my family is counting on me to have my job. To make sure I work hard & get raises. That if I were to quit we would have no health insurance, minimal income (hubby has his own business that comes & goes in spurts) and not be able to pay bills.

Sometimes I think it is because I am just tired. I also teach preschool gymnastics two nights a week along with all of the housework..

If you are miserable & can support yourself / family on your contingency plan then go for it.