Addicted to AVOCADOS

Options
Lately they're all I think about. I bought four a couple of days ago, and they're gone. I want more than two a day. Would it be terrible if one day the majority of my calories were avocados? Would there be any detrimental side effects to me doing this, at least until maybe I get tired of them?! I'm just eating them raw with a sprinkling of kosher salt, by the way.

Replies

• azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i love love love avacados!!!
  • hkussatz
    Options
    Im in the same boat :). Except I tried making guacamole with a couple of them NOW THATS my weakness :). I doubt you will experience any side effects of so much. Im sure you'll slow down in a couple weeks. Good luck with it! They get expensive
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    They're two for $1 right now for me... they'd probably have to get up to $2 a piece for me to think twice about buying them. It's not even avocado season right now, is it?!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The only downside I see is that you may see red numbers for Fat, if you are tracking that. Maybe mix it up a bit and throw in a starch to pair it with. Ever had a tomato and avocado sandwich? Mmmmmmmmmm
  • micha1984
    Options
    I am a fellow avocado addict. I eat them breakfast lunch and dinner. I eat them solo and I also eat them with a tbls of salsa. They make me feel good and give me the energy I need. They are pricey though. I found them at Sam's Club 5 in a package and they end up only being 75 cents a piece which is a lot cheaper. I don't think the Avocado is bad at all it's a whole food and the fats in an Avocado are good fats. As long as you are staying active you should be find... just maybe mix it up every once in a while to make sure you are getting all the vitamins your body needs. There is a recipe I looked up the other day that included one can of tuna and one half of an avocado salt and pepper. Loved it! I just put it in a low carb wrap it was delicious!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    It's avocado season somewhere. I love them too, but am trying to eat more balanced so I eat like a half of one a day.
  • micha1984
    Options
    Avocados are always in season. :) Another wonderful thing about them :)
  • amymckmuffin
    Options
    Avocados arnt bad, ^^ i loves them too! But you couldnt eat just the, for too long at least. You still need other things in your diet to be healthy like meat and dairy. Try incorporating them into different meals so that you get all the stuff you need.

I love them in pita breads with some ham and cottage cheese ^^.
  • micha1984
    Options
    MMMM cottage cheese!!
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I've started putting them on my egg sandwich in the morning, with a little Trader Joe's honey goat cheese. Holy cow, SO GOOD!!
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Avocados are delicious! I wish I could eat them all day but because they are high in calories and fats (I know they're healthy fats) I can't eat them all day. :-/
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    And I have just returned from a store that had them on special for 39 cents each. Yeeehaaa! I will try to mix it up, though, definitely... :)
  • kmg748
    kmg748 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So what do you do with them. How do you prepare them. Wash cut up, do you need to cook them I have no clue. LOL
  • janjtaylor
    Options
    So what do you do with them. How do you prepare them. Wash cut up, do you need to cook them I have no clue. LOL

don't cook them although some mexican food recipes do....I don't care for them like that but I love them "raw" ...

Sliced on a homemade hamburger (97/3 or better beef) or ANY sandwich.

Eat them by themselves straight out of the peel

Use the seed indention to fill with a good chicken salad or tuna salad

Homemade guacamole - easy!

or put them in a bullet/ninja/food processor and chop with tomato and lemon or lime...or both!

sometimes I just chop them up with a tomato and a little lime juice and fresh cilantro for a fresh salad...

Chop up with onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno for a fancy pico for tacos....

fish tacos with lime, avocado and tomato....

any low fat taco you prepare for yourself....lettuce, tomato, avocado...
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Love some tuna in an avocado!
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love avocados too..47 cents each at ralphs. I need a tree!
  • Kendrawinn
    Options
    They're two for $1 right now for me... they'd probably have to get up to $2 a piece for me to think twice about buying them. It's not even avocado season right now, is it?!

I bought 4 of them yesterday..... they are 29c in Aldi here :love:
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I threw some on a salad last week and fell in love. Now I don't want a salad without them.
  • DanaKinney
    DanaKinney Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds like ya'll are craving fat and there are a lot worse ways of getting it. Just watch out, cause it will limit your diet and eat up your calories pretty quickly.