Belly Fat

Options
Looking to lose my belly fat and get all toned.
Not necessarily looking for 6 pack abs but firm, smooth, sexy - YES!

I do Zumba 4 x's week, plus treadmill and strength training M-F.

Any Help?

Replies

• lilfurson
    Options
    My doctor told me cardio exercises like running / swimming. Anything that works the upper and lower body together.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin' on. There's no way to spot reduce. It will come off in time.
  • sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    No suggestions but I'm would like to know what people suggest. The belly is where I carry all of my weight.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin' on. There's no way to spot reduce. It will come off in time.

BINGO
  • renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    No suggestions but I'm would like to know what people suggest. The belly is where I carry all of my weight.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Working out is essential to a fit body, but I heard a quote the other day... "You can't work off a bad diet". What you eat has everything to do with the amount of fat you store. You can work your butt off, but unless you are super strict in what you eat and your calorie allotment, you have no chance of ever seeing your abs.... Make sure you're monitoring your food intake and adjusting it to how your body is responding to the exercise. It may take some tweaking to find the perfect balance. Definitely add strength training if you haven't already.
  • ronnikins
    ronnikins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So how do I know what foods I really should be eating & avoiding? I'm wanting to stop the storing fat and start burning it!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I didn't start losing belly fat until I started lifting heavy and doing high intensity intervals training. Plus I changed my diet. I try and eat 1g for every lb of lean body mass. Eat less fat, trying for .5g of fat for my body weight then rest I don't care as much about.
  • Mustangsally33
    Options
    I didn't start losing belly fat until I started lifting heavy and doing high intensity intervals training. Plus I changed my diet. I try and eat 1g for every lb of lean body mass. Eat less fat, trying for .5g of fat for my body weight then rest I don't care as much about.

What time of HIT Training did you do ? I started two weeks ago and am finally losing some lbs and seeing results but I am just curious what you did ? I also do Weights..........
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

What time of HIT Training did you do ? I started two weeks ago and am finally losing some lbs and seeing results but I am just curious what you did ? I also do Weights..........

I do 15 minutes, (after a 5 minute warm up) 1 minute fast intervals and then 1 minute recovery and repeat until 15 minutes is done. I either use the treadmill, running outside or on the elliptical. Then I follow it with a slow pace for 20 more minutes.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    So how do I know what foods I really should be eating & avoiding? I'm wanting to stop the storing fat and start burning it!

You should concern yourself primarily with total calorie and macronutrient intake for the day.

Choose foods you enjoy eating and choose foods that hopefully keep you satisfied (for example, if you enjoy a nicely seasoned tilapia and some steamed broccoli, you can eat a BUTTLOAD of this for low calories and it will keep you satisfied for a long time since you can eat massive plates of it for low calories).

But I wouldn't think about food avoidance. You should instead learn to "fit" foods you enjoy into your calorie and macronutrient budget for the day.

Generally speaking, just use "some common sense" with food selection. Eat mostly whole and nutrient dense foods and limit (but do not avoid) junk food.

I wouldn't make it any more complicated than that, unless you have a medical condition or food intolerance/allergy that dictates otherwise.
  • Thinkthinstaythin
    Thinkthinstaythin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can try to get a toned belly. by everyday doing planks. bicycles and variations of crunches. You need to work all parts of your core!!!! Also, no soda not even diet it adds to your belly not drinking it. If you do will show a significant difference.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You can try to get a toned belly. by everyday doing planks. bicycles and variations of crunches. You need to work all parts of your core!!!! Also, no soda not even diet it adds to your belly not drinking it. If you do will show a significant difference.

Where did you get the above information?
  • Thinkthinstaythin
    Thinkthinstaythin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you say it does not help it does. I have from personal experience. Nutrition is important as well. If you say it does nothing for you it does nutrition is just as important as exercise.
  • johnson121810
    Options
    I have seen huge differences with Julian Michaels 6 week ab workout and also her 30 day shred workout dvds. Before I started doing her dvds I was running, walking, mountain biking, lifting weights, etc.... but I was having a hard time losing it in the belly area. I would suggest her dvds. Plus, you can do them at home and they only cost $9.00 at Target. :) Always a good thing when it isn't expensive! Good luck and hang in there!
  • tiffpage
    tiffpage Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really feel for you because I have the same problem. I bought some books on abs and have a boyfriend with the best set of abs I've ever seen in my life, including in magazines. I talked to him a lot about this and what I'm doing is working. Here's the deal:

1. Diet-you should kick processed foods as much as possible and carbs like white bread and pasta. Eat a salad everyday for a meal. Load up on cottage cheese and greek yogurt. Eat berries too. Eat 5 times a day. Actually read what a portion is before you eat.
    2. Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
    3.Do cardio 5-6 days a week. Make sure you change up the type of cardio you're doing. Running, cycling and swimming are great for abs. I do each every week and I do the stairs and the eliptical.
    4. No pop, fast food, fried food, diet food, artificial sweetener or candy. I use stevia or agave nectar now for sweetener and for baking.
    5. If you eat rice, eat brown rice and only 1 serving. Pasta is the same. Stick to whole wheat. I only eat these once a week or less
    6. Other breads that I eat more regularly are whole wheat wraps, spinach wraps and ezekiel bread
    7. Do not eat anything 2-3 hours before you go to bed.
    8. Get enough sleep!
    9. Do an ab workout targeted at your abs 2-3 times a week. I started an abs class at the gym that has REALLY changed things and I know why...we do a lot of ab exercises with dumbells. Crunches and leg lifts with a 10 pound dumbell will really work those suckers.
    10. If you need more motivation you can send me a friend request. I'm on here lots and have tons of great recipes.
  • ronnikins
    ronnikins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I really feel for you because I have the same problem. I bought some books on abs and have a boyfriend with the best set of abs I've ever seen in my life, including in magazines. I talked to him a lot about this and what I'm doing is working. Here's the deal:

1. Diet-you should kick processed foods as much as possible and carbs like white bread and pasta. Eat a salad everyday for a meal. Load up on cottage cheese and greek yogurt. Eat berries too. Eat 5 times a day. Actually read what a portion is before you eat.
    3.Do cardio 5-6 days a week. Make sure you change up the type of cardio you're doing. Running, cycling and swimming are great for abs. I do each every week and I do the stairs and the eliptical.
    4. No pop, fast food, fried food, diet food, artificial sweetener or candy. I use stevia or agave nectar now for sweetener and for baking.
    5. If you eat rice, eat brown rice and only 1 serving. Pasta is the same. Stick to whole wheat. I only eat these once a week or less
    6. Other breads that I eat more regularly are whole wheat wraps, spinach wraps and ezekiel bread
    8. Get enough sleep!
    9. Do an ab workout targeted at your abs 2-3 times a week. I started an abs class at the gym that has REALLY changed things and I know why...we do a lot of ab exercises with dumbells. Crunches and leg lifts with a 10 pound dumbell will really work those suckers.
    10. If you need more motivation you can send me a friend request. I'm on here lots and have tons of great recipes.

Some pretty good advice - thanks!

I do eat pretty much the same all week, weekends are terrible for me though.
    Here's what I'm eating nearly everyday:
    1 bowl of oatmeal, 90 cal.
    3 cups of coffee, w/creamer
    scoops (Baked Tortilla scoops w/salsa & cheddar melted in each one)
    assorted fruits & Veggies & cheese sticks for snacking
    Dinner is different each night
    Of course, I'd love to have a glass of wine every night

I love salty more than sweet.

I've been keeping my calorie intake between 1200-1300 every day.

Last Summer I was walking in the mornings & evenings either w/friends or on my own. Can't wait to get going on this again.

I do Zumba class 4-5 x's a week, plus I have Zumba/Dance music on all day long, when I know the routine to one I stop what I'm doing and do it! (get up from the pc & move my body). I wear weighted gloves during the Zumba classes too.

I know I need to get back to the gym, there I was doing either the treadmill, eliptical or bike (I would switch it up). On Tues. & Thurs. I would do my weight training.
    I drink 6-8 glasses of water every day.

So, any tips on what to change up?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Oh boy...

What does eating 5 times a day have to do with belly fat reduction and why cut out carbs like white bread and pasta?

Not needed and possibly excessive

Why? Would eating the above prevent you from losing belly fat?

Lollercoaster, why only brown rice?

Lol que? what does that have to do with losing belly fat?

Also not needed, you can do all the targeted ab work you want, doesn't really matter if your abs are covered by fat

Really all these tips and rules are just making something that should be kept as uncomplicated as possible overly complicated
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

8. Get enough sleep!

*headdesk*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options

8. Get enough sleep!
    Don't know where to start with this. ALL my clients break these "rules" and have no issues with fat loss. Keep it simple. Get in your macro/micro nutrient essentials, exercise, get rest, reduce stress, and be in calorie deficit. That's it. No secret.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition