Cardio with very sore legs?

Options
I went hiking for 5 hours on Saturday, and then took Sunday off because I had worked out everyday last week and I was sore, but now it's monday and my legs and butt are still super sore but I want to get back to my daily cardio. I don't think I would be able to do the elliptical or treadmill like I was doing last week at the gym because of this soreness. Are there any good cardio workouts I can do that won't make my leg muscles burn more than they already do?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I run on sore legs nearly every day. Start the workout slowly and give it five to ten minutes. If the soreness fades and you start feeling good then keep going. If the soreness stays or gets worse and your legs feel dead then quit the workout and give it another day of rest.
  • thickmomma0519
    Options
    It sounds like you over did it. Go for a walk, not hike, at least until you've recovered enough that you feel you can pick back up some of your routine. I suggest ankle weights if you want a more intense walk.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds bizarro, but working out while you are sore (and had a day of rest in between) might actually help you feel better. Just don't overdo it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You could probably still do the treadmill and/or elliptical, just keep it slow and low resistance then get a REALLY good stretch in afterwards. Your calorie burn will be lower but your muscles will thank you.

I pretty much did just that today. Joined in on a lower body strength and cardio class yesterday so everything from my butt to my ankles is practically throbbing today. I knew it wasn't a day for running or anything too intense so I did a cardio kickboxing DVD workout (Jillian Michaels biggest winner set) and it was perfect. A couple of the moves were painful but I pushed through and got a good stretch afterwards and I feel so much better.
  • daffodil23
    daffodil23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm a newbie so I didn't know if I could trust these tired legs, but I trust all of you! I'll try to push through it and see what happens! Thanks everyone!
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to echo what a couple others have said...walking can actually help ease the soreness and stiffness. Start off slow and work your way up to whatever feels comfortable. Afterwards, take a nice warm bath. The heat of the water stimulates blood flow, which can help repair your muscles a little faster and reduce soreness.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    When my legs are super sore, cardio helps me feel better.
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Walking, and also how about the row machine?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who suggested the rowing machine...if you really think your legs are too sore for anything else. However, I would personally do the treadmill or if you gym has the Arc Trainer, I would do that.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike with resistance set to level 1. Worked for me the last few days after I hurt my calves Thursday night. I went an hour at a pretty good speed and got my heart rate up with no impact.
  • mrs_lanza
    Options
    I also run on sore legs. If my legs are sore and I run on them, it normally makes the soreness go away.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    soreness and pain are two different things. if it's just sore, you can pretty much exercise that right out once you get into your workouts, or do some low impact things like walking and I like Jillian M. dvd boost metabolism, it's simple for the most part when i don't feel like a bunch of jumping around
  • OKmac3
    OKmac3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have found swimming laps has helped me...swimming has no impact but really gets your heart and blood flowing
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Epsom salts soak, ibuprofen and working those legs will help. :)
  • dwakco
    dwakco Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try a foam roller and roll the lactic acid and soreness out of your legs with the foam roller. Great to do post cardio workout and the next day. Almost as good as a massage! Also, try a recumbent stationary bike on the recovery days. It's easy and will get your legs to going and you won't miss a day of working out.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    That is so me right now, met with my personal trainer on Saturday and my legs are still sore. I rested yesterday but I do plan on getting on the Elliptical today, in the past I've noticed that once I'm on the machine the soreness fades a bit and I'm able to work through it. I know my soreness won't be gone till possibly Wednesday and for me that's just too long to wait without a workout. Start off slow.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    If I never ran on sore legs, I would never run.

I run the day after every race, just a recovery run to get my muscles moving - sure it's uncomfortable, but I've found that it helps me get over it. If I wait a day, then the soreness just keeps building.
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I bought an elliptical/bike combination. When my legs are sore, I use the bike. Low resistance. It usually goes away.
  • samhelen
    Options
    The pain and soreness is due in part to lactic acid build-up in your muscles -- this sounds crazy but works, take a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and put it into at least 8 oz. of water and sip on it until its gone -- you can do it after every workout if you'd like. Also, everyone else is right -- unless there's some sort of intense pain or extreme weakness, just work through it, you'll actually feel better tomorrow if you do.
  • melrose09
    Options
    I know it sounds bizarro, but working out while you are sore (and had a day of rest in between) might actually help you feel better. Just don't overdo it.

This is 100% for me. When I'm sore, the best cure is to get moving again I take it a little easier, but if I don't move at all, the soreness lasts twice as long