Half marathon training

Options
I am a new runner - I only ran my first 5k last fall. However, I have quickly come to love running & have committed to a half marathon by the end of April. I am following the Galloway training method for new runners. Today was my 9.5 mile run. My issue is that for my last 3 long runs, I either get finished, or in today's case, near the end & get horrible stomach cramps. Not side stitches but cramps in my stomach. I usually run first thing in the morning & thought previously that I didn't have enough on my stomach; however, today I ran about an hour & a half after eating a good lunch & experienced them again. Has anyone else experienced this & offer me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• gleechick609
    Options
    When I get cramps, I chew on one of my GU chomps and drink H20. It seems to help me. My issue is, I sometimes feel like my stomach is going to fall off of my body when I run. *LOL* It is such a weird feeling!

I have noticed after my long runs, I can't eat anything for a few hours. Otherwise, I get sick.
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey beautiful - I have the camelpak and so hydration isn't an issue for me. Yesterday, I took a GU gel before I started and one at the halfway mark, which was around 45 minutes in. For the last two runs, I get home and just veg for a good hour - maybe I'm not giving myself enough credit for what I just accomplished! :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I too get stomach cramps, rather like period pains, on longer runs, it's not hydration, and I find energy gels make it worse, so will watch with interest.
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I hope someone can help you with this. I get a nervous stomach before long runs & haven't experienced any type of cramping during the run - yet! I've yet to use Gu and have been using Jolly Ranchers as fuel. Galloway told us in his clinic that most people just need the quick feed of sugar for your mind to stay awake so that's what I've stuck with. He uses jelly beans but I prefer the Jolly Ranchers.
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When I first started running longer distances training for a half last spring, I would get stomach cramps during a run and had a few potty emergencies (runners trots hardcore). I had pretty bad cramps and had to visit the 'little blue house' during my spring race. I wasn't sure if it was related to hydration or fueling or something else. But I didn't really experience any issues during my fall training. Maybe some minor cramping but nothing significant. It may have been having a stronger running base. But I'm also hyper-vigilant about doing stuff to avoid that problem, mostly I take care to eat bland, easily digestible foods not only before the run but the day before a long run. I also make sure I'm really hydrated the day before a run, as well as the day of. But most importantly for me is get a BM out before a run. If I'm running early, I wake up even earlier to make sure things get flowing. I took an immodium just before my fall race (but after going in the am) and felt fine during the run, but it did stop me up for the rest of the day. Small price to pay for not having cramps or the runs during the race! Sorry for the overshare, but running & pooping are kinda like chocolate & peanut butter, they go together.