Aggravated.

Options
After reading many people's posts about getting over their plateau by eating more I decided to attempt this to get over mine. I changed my weight loss to 1lb a week and ate at those calorie goals instead of what I had been eating at. I not only didn't lose weight, I gained it. Is this normal when you make such a change? It's only been two weeks since I did this so maybe I just need to continue it? Seeing a gain on the scale was really aggravating though.

Replies

• LittleMissDoll
    Options
    I think if you increase your calories for a few days and then go back to what you were doing before, it jump starts your body out of the plateau, you could just be retaining more water as well, I wouldn't worry about it
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    After reading many people's posts about getting over their plateau by eating more I decided to attempt this to get over mine. I changed my weight loss to 1lb a week and ate at those calorie goals instead of what I had been eating at. I not only didn't lose weight, I gained it. Is this normal when you make such a change? It's only been two weeks since I did this so maybe I just need to continue it? Seeing a gain on the scale was really aggravating though.

When you make dramatic changes, it's common to see weight gain of up to 5 lbs. You really need to monitor for a month. Also, do you workout. If so, do you eat back at least part of those calories?
  • PenguinPrincess
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week, and yes I do eat at least half of them back. Sometimes more.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week, and yes I do eat at least half of them back. Sometimes more.

Can you open your diary? We can evaluate it. Also, how are you calculating your exercise calories?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Yes a gain usually happens if you were underfeeding yourself then increase calories.

FYI with only 13lbs to go your goal should really be 0.5lb/week loss, this way you will avoid losing a large % of lean muscle. The best way to increase calories is add 100 cals to your goal and stay there for 3-4 weeks then up it by another 100, until you get to your new intake.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yes a gain usually happens if you were underfeeding yourself then increase calories.

FYI with only 13lbs to go your goal should really be 0.5lb/week loss, this way you will avoid losing a large % of lean muscle. The best way to increase calories is add 100 cals to your goal and stay there for 3-4 weeks then up it by another 100, until you get to your new intake.

Great catch Eric, I didn't even notice her ticker.