Bad backs and fitness / exercise

Options
The thing that really inspired me to get fit, exercise and lose weight is that I recently found out I have a degenerated disc in my lower back (L5/S1). About a month ago I'd hit a point where I could barely walk because the pain was so bad. Today, I'm doing yoga every day (morning and evening sometimes) just to keep my back functioning properly. If I take a day off, by that night I can't walk anymore.

So far, yoga is the only thing I've found that I can do. Running is out of the question. I can do a slow treadmill and walk for short periods, but I definitely can't pick up heavy weights. I can do pushups, I've just discovered, so that's another thing I can add to my routine.

My question is: is anyone else in a similar situation and what exercises have you found to be both effective and not painful? Thanks!

-jd

Replies

• janluke
    janluke Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't have a bad back but have you tried swimming. All your weight is supported so maybe not too much strain on your back. Very little pressure on your joints and you can work as hard or gentle as you like
  • rblrosie
    Options
    Have you ever tried acupuncture? I had terrible back pain. Acupuncture has totally saved me! Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Recumbent bike? I second, swimming or aqua-aerobics. Related to push ups - planks - are great for your abs.
  • Hawksbillus
    Hawksbillus Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Those are great suggestions, thank you. I've suggested to my wife that we put in a swimming pool, but she seems skeptical of that idea. I'll try to find someplace local and nearby where I might swim regularly.

I hadn't even thought of acupuncture. I don't really know much about it. My doctor has me doing something called "Prolotherapy" in which he is injecting sugar water into the muscles of my back. The idea is that this causes an inflammation and irritation to the muscles which encourage additional muscle growth. I've gone through one treatment so far. I'm supposed to go in for monthly treatments for about 6 months or so. I'm skeptical of this treatment, but my doctor is also an old friend of mine and I trust him, so we'll see...

Thanks again!
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Along with the yoga and swimming, & whatever else you decide to incorporate, you can punctuate it here and there with Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos. This MFP page has free YouTube video links if you scroll down the page:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/432035-swat-january-walk-with-leslie-sansone-workouts
  • cherryb75
    cherryb75 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My recumbent bike has really helped my low back/hip pain. When we moved a few months ago I was in bad pain--hurt to get out of bed, to do much of anything. I can't have that because I have a toddler to chase after. I made myself start doing 30 minutes a day at a light pace, or at least every other day. Now I'm up to 45 minutes moderate (I watch an episode of Lost while I'm doing it, lol). I hardly hurt anymore.

Worth looking into. :)
  • complexes
    Options
    Actually, this same thing happened to my boss, and she tried acupuncture. She swears by it. When it first happened to her, she was literally flat for a week before she figured out how to fix it. You can always give it a shot, nothing to lose.