1200 Calorie Diet and about to add Exercise

Options
I've been on a 1200 cal diet for a month and I would like to add some exercise so that I can tone up and also so i can have a little more freedom in what i eat. I know that I'll need to "eat back my calories" so that my body doesn't go into starvation mode. I am a little scared to delve into this next phase because I don't want to hinder the great progress I've already seen (avg loss, 2 pounds a week).

Anyone out there in the same boat? I'd love to have some advice on how to start adding in some low intensity exercise. Anything i need to be aware of before doing this? Ulimtately i know that exercise is going to help my metabolism and I'm hoping it will give me additional energy. I am currently sedentary for most part!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• gregersons
    gregersons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was on a change in eating habits diet for about 3 months before I started adding in exercise, and I lost over 20 pounds doing it! Since then I have started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. It is intense but only 20 minutes. While doing this I am on day 10 right now, I have only lost a pound since I started working out, but I have lost 3 inches in my waist, one in my thigh, 1.5 inches on my hips! Because of the lost inches I dropped a pant size as well. I know that we are all set on the number on the scale, but what about the number on that pant size!!! Good luck in whatever you choose to do, just don't forget to pick up with weights along with doing the cardio.
  • lbhaeger
    Options
    when you started exercising, did you just jump right in....or did you start small and build up?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Get a pedometer and aim for 10,000 steps a day! Best way to start. So many people are surprised at how little they walk in a day. I just jump into it, but that can cause injury. Do what your body says you can. Go as hard and as long as you can without a lot of pain. Soreness later and the next day is fine, but you shouldn't hurt yourself while you're doing it! Your body knows best.
    If you're concerned about it, talk to your doctor about it. They are the next best after yourself that can help you know what you should and shouldn't do.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I decided to focus on logging calories and staying within my calorie budget for January to build up the habits. Now I am in the process of adding in exercise. My weight loss slowed towards the end of the month, but that was expected since I knew the last 10 days of the month would include a visit from TOM, a vacation and a 3-day onsite meeting with limited control over the types of foods I was consuming. I ended up down 1-2 pounds by the beginning of this month.

Now I am adding in the workouts, striving for 3-4 a week of intervals and strength training. And continuing on the 200 squats plan.

I've been on an off with exercise over the past couple of years. And I've also found that low intensity exercise is pointless for weigh loss for me. (I wish I was kidding when I said this, but I started a new job a couple of years ago, added 3 miles of walking daily to my routine...and an extra 1-2 lattes per week, and GAINED 15 pounds after a year. My calorie intake maybe changed by 400 calories over the course of a week)

As a result, I know that for me it pays to do intervals and weights for the best progress,

I'd recommend the following 3 plans to start:
    100 pushups (you can start with knee pushups and build up to full pushups): http://www.hundredpushups.com/
    200 squats: http://www.twohundredsquats.com/
    couch to 5k: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    plank a day: http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/joining-the-plank-a-day-challenge-is-a-great-ab-workout-2515599.html

These all start small, build up, and require no real equipment other than some space and some running shoes.

Or if you don't like running (me! me! me!) you can add 20 minutes of walking 3-4 times a week. I mentioned I am all about intervals, so here is a quick sample plan.
    week 1: 10 minutes regular, 2 minutes fast, 8 minutes regular
    Week 2: 8 minutes regular, 2 minutes fast, 8 minutes regular, 2 minutes fast
    Week 3: 6 min reg, 2 fast, 6 regular, 2 fast, 6 regular, 2 fast
    Week 4: 4 min reg, 2 fast repeat 4 times
    Week 5: 4 min reg, 2 fast repeat 5 times
    Week 6: 3 min reg, 2 fast: repeat 6 times
    Week 7: 2 reg, 2 fast: repeat 7-8 times

Over time you'll find the "regular" speed walks will become easier and faster. You can continue on 2 and 2 forever. Or make the "fast" running like in couch to 5K. Or you can do the same thing on a treadmill or your favorite cardio machine.

Good luck!

Don't do too much at first or you'll burn out quickly. But don't be afraid of a little soreness either.

P.S.: I really reccomend adding squats ASAP. They help strengthen the muscles around your knees, protecting them, so all of the exercise you will do will be much easier with the added strength. And as a bonus, your legs and butt will look better/higher. You'll see results pretty fast with squats since your legs will firm up and probably slim down a bit. And of course you'll be able to do more quickly. Women generally have pretty strong legs so this works to your advantage. :)
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I am also on the 1200 Calorie diet and I will be starting Bootcamp Feb 21. I don't plan on eating my "earned calories" but if I feel hungry I will snack on 50-100Cal foods (fruit or nuts).
  • lbhaeger
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! I think i am going to start by adding in some 20 minute exercises and also start using a pedometer! I just need to get moving!
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I found nerdfitness.com and I like his Beginning Body Weight Strength Training Routine. You can do it at home without any special equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhHhDNjtxM

Strength training helps you keep your muscle (or add more) as you lose fat, while only cardio loses the muscle with the fat.

I'm your height and weighed about your weight at Thanksgiving. Then I started counting calories and going to the gym almost every day and I'm down almost 20 lbs now.
  • lbhaeger
    lbhaeger Posts: 5
    Options
    Im just now seeing your post, amy! Thanks for pointing me towards nerdfitness!! Also, i wasn't aware that you still lose muscle when you do cardio alone. That's good to know!

Amazing job losing 21 pounds since November!!! That motivates me:)
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Start of slow and work your way up I would start out by walking just putting in a little extra effort using stairs when you can, baby steps to ease into it. Then start adding other exercise into your daily routine.

As for if you hit it hard right out of the gate you will get discouraged and not want to continue to exercise or workout. So being slowly and work into high intensity programs or weight lifting. Even some light yoga work outs to start would be a great idea.

Example:
    Light walk leisurely pace 2.0 mph for 5- 10 minutes
    Some simple yoga stretching 5- 10 minutes (can find ideas on you tube)
  • futuremrsh_71412
    Options
    Im in the 1200 calorie boat too but started out with exercise from the beginning because I struggle with eating just 1200 calories. I end up eating some of the calories back that I loose from exercise but its typically to compensate for 200 or 300 calories. I do a lot of Zumba, which is a ton of fun and an easy way to get some exercise in. I take a class one day a week and then use Zumba for the Wii four days of the week. I also try to get a walk in during my lunch time if it is nice out or do a quick 10 minute exercise video on youtube. I find if I exercise I fit in my clothes better than not exercising, plus I sleep better at night!

I lost about 16 pounds before Thanksgiving and Christmas and gained it all back so now I am really on a strict push to loose that weight plus some. I am getting married in July and want to rock my dress with a healthy body!! Good luck!
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great! I started out slowly, by walking a bit, then more, and now I do 7 miles a day minimum on week days.

I noticed that my appetite increased, so eating extra calories is not an issue. I also sleep better, and find that drinking lots of water is easier because I'm thirstier.

I'm also happier, more toned, have better co-ordination and stand taller because my muscles are growing.

Just go at your own pace. I lost 35lb on walking alone because I didn't want to do strenuous exercise at the time. I do now, and the added benefits are amazing.

I also really recommend yoga!

Good luck!
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    If you have access to Curves and can afford it I highly recommend it. When I first started working out I was totally intimidated by the gym and didn't know what to do with weights at home. Curves was a great workout, 30 minutes, women only. I lost weight and toned up a lot. I can't afford it anymore so I work out mostly at home (Jillian Michaels videos or pilates).
    I also recommend the elliptical machine. It's low impact, easy to use, and a great cardio burn as long as you push yourself.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories, and also have been averaging a loss of 1.5 to 2 lbs a week. I do exercise about 4 to 5 days a week but i do a variety of things. I walk 3 miles if the weather is good. ( I live in the unpredictable midwest). If it's not, I will use our Wii and do dance games or a fitness game for an hour or jump on the elliptical. I do circut training with weights once a week too. I also horseback ride. I don't think it matters what you choose to do- as long as it's something almost everyday. I think it's really important if you want to maintain later once the weight is off. Start out with something you like to do and build up from there.

I do not eat back my calories if I can help it. Sometimes I am really hungry and will eat 100-200 more calories on that day. Usually veggies and some protein. Personally, I know I can't keep at 1200 calories forever, so I am hoping that when I do get the weight off and I do add back my exercise calories consistently- I will just be able to maintain. If I ate mine now, I wouldn't lose. However I realize everyone is different. So you may have to experiment a little to see what your body does. I'd love to be able to consistently eat 350 more calories a day and not gain...or stop losing! Your on the right track! Great job on your losses so far! Exercise will make it even better!
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This was me last summer. I started exercising (and eating back my calories), and started looking and feeling a lot better.
    A good way to start is to just take a brisk walk for at least 30 minutes every day.
    Then, I did sit-ups, free weights, etc. four times a week, and yoga 3x a week. That mind sound like a lot for a beginner, but honestly, there's no better way to do it. I boosted my calories to 1350 a day, and would eat back calories burned in yoga and calisthenics. (I always ate plenty after yoga...MFP gives the most modest approximation of calories burned for yoga I've ever seen.)

Anyways, 1350 is a good place to boost your baseline up to. If you're lifting a lot, maybe go higher. You might start losing weight slower at first, but remember that your body is making muscle now, and it needs more calories (expecially protein) to do that, and that throwing a starving body into cardio routines is just going to wreck it.
    It will pay off!
  • shibarpitamandal
    Options
    I m a girl of 22 and I m new here, I was always with habituated with exercise such as 30 minutes jogging and 30 minutes skipping and I did nt control any diet,,, and I was 57_58 kg,s , but suddenly I left my habbit of skipping and I am greatly addicted to sugar, milk tea and I have gained 13 kgs, I m feeling so depressed,, what type of diet and exercise can help me to loose this extra weights?
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    I'm on a 1200cal. diet sort of. You need to add calories for your lifestyle burn as well as what you will need to eat back from exercise. I'm a couch potato so I add 200 calories for lifestyle burn and 300cals for my exercise. So, my caloric intake is 1700cals. per day.

I walk an hour a day which translates to 3.0mph for one hour. Enter walking for your exercise and then choose walking 3.0mph for one hour. You will burn off 2lbs. per week.
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    I'm on a 1200cal. diet sort of. You need to add calories for your lifestyle burn as well as what you will need to eat back from exercise. I'm a couch potato so I add 200 calories for lifestyle burn and 300cals for my exercise. So, my caloric intake is 1700cals. per day.

I walk an hour a day which translates to 3.0mph for one hour. Enter walking for your exercise and then choose walking 3.0mph for one hour. You will burn off 2lbs. per week.

Correction -> don't log your exercise. 1200cals + lifestyle burn + exercise burn = daily caloric intake