Tiredness

Options
When training to lose weight and generally get fitter, how long does it take for your energy levels to increase because I am tired ALL the time.

Replies

• Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    For me, never lol on work out days I'm always tired especially towards the end of the day......think everyone will be different but just think that if your tired after your workout then your doing something right!!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    When training to lose weight and generally get fitter, how long does it take for your energy levels to increase because I am tired ALL the time.

I am starting to be tired all the time too. Maybe it's because we're not getting the right balance of nutrients...? Perhaps, its our sleeping pattern? What do you do during the day? Do you work all day? I have a full-time desk job.
  • Spooney45
    Options
    I'm a full time medical student so I'm mostly sat down but I am tired all day every day, have a fairly healthy diet and a decent sleep pattern so I'm a bit stuck.....
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    First up check your iron levels are OK and you sleep enough. Then ensure you get at least one full rest day a week and never do two super-tough workouts on consecutive days. Finally ensure you refuel with the correct balance of nutrients. If you're doing a lot of cardio, for instance, a low-carb diet may make you feel run down.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    How are your vitamin D levels? When I'm Vitamin D deficient I am very tired and depressed.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump.

I want to know too because I have the same issue. Some days all I want to do is sleep, which I can't. I hate drinking coffee or soda with caffiene because it makes me feel yucky and jittery.

Having a protein shake in the morning seems to help me a little bit - protein with a banana and some PB and maybe some ovaltine. I just started that last week. It also helps curb my appetite and cravings for the day. I defintely know when I don't have one.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    full time medical student sounds stressful. Are you Taking care of yourself mentally Taking mental breaks like meditating really helps remembering to fully breathe. Sleeping enough fully at night and taking your vitamin. Good Luck.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Food is energy.
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough sleep and eating properly. Remember food is fuel.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Other than diet (which is the most likely cause), over training may be an issue. If you're training too much, your body will pretty much shut down to repair itself. If you've been working out hard for several weeks, take a day or two off to see if your mood and energy levels improve.
  • kebrina1983
    Options
    Check your blood pressure...if it is too high, it can make you feel very tired.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I think it might be because I'm not getting the right kind of sleep. I usually go to bed at 10:30pm and get up between 6:30 and 7am. I am 23 years old. That should be plenty of sleep for my age.

I might add it is REALLY REALLY difficult for me to get up in the morning. I've never been a morning person, but since I started this job it has been exponentially harder for me to "wake-up" and get out of bed in the morning. There have been times I've called in late because I needed to sleep more. I've found that just an hour more of sleep and I could jump out of bed with no problem. Frankly, its quite annoying!
  • gregersons
    gregersons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If it is persistent I would go to the doc and have some lab work done. I did, and it came back Vitamin B deficient. I take an over the counter vitamin B 12, but I wouldn't do it unless the doc says.
  • annagracem
    annagracem Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing. I found out that my levels of vitamin B12 and vitamin D were low. Now that I'm taking them I feel a lot better.
  • smileybooliz
    smileybooliz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    How are your vitamin D levels? When I'm Vitamin D deficient I am very tired and depressed.

Definitely go get your Vitamin D levels checked. Except during the summer months, the skin makes little if any vitamin D from the sun at latitudes above 37 degrees north or below 37 degrees south of the equator. People who live in these areas are at relatively greater risk for vitamin D deficiency.

I had mine checked at my well care visit at the doctor and I was at a 7!! Which is way, way low!! I've been on prescription levels of Vitamin D and feeling better and less tired.

Here are the different ranges on the Vitamin D levels:

Vitamin D levels in serum
    25 (OH) D Level ng/ml (used in USA)

Deficient less than 8
    Insufficient 8-20
    Optimal 20-50
    High 50-90
    Toxic greater than 90

Here's an article explaining this if you're interested in reading it.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/time-for-more-vitamin-d.htm

I hope this helps!!:bigsmile: