Ezekiel Bread?

People always talk about this sprouted grain Ezekiel bread...I didn't think it was available around here but I saw it at a specialty grocery store the other day and almost bought some. But I wanted some insight first...every multigrain bread i've tried has been awful. I don't mind the taste but the texture is absolutely horrid. So what is the sprouted grain bread like? Is it soft?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    If you don't like whole wheat bread, you'll hate Ezekiel
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    If you bought a loaf why don't you just try some? Hah..

Well I just tried this bread myself, had toast with pb&j this weekend using the ezekiel bread. I found it kinda more like white bread in that it was quite thin slices, and not so thick and like chewy? as most whole grain breads tend to be.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,237 Member

Ok so here's where the other questions come in...I've found several "whole wheat" breads that I like. It's more or less soft and tastes decent...but I hear that a lot of whole wheat breads are basically processed and just as bad for you as white bread. So I'm not sure if I've really experienced actual whole wheat bread. The only thing for certain is multi-grain bread is awful to me.
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    I buy it frozen and toast it before eating it.
    I think its great. If you let it thaw out its pretty soft, but I have never had it that way.

I use it make tune fish or turkey sandwiches I have even used it with veggie burgers.
    I like it and is the only bread we keep at home.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    On occasion, I enjoy sprouted grain bread! ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.... with avo & balsamic creme!! :love:
  • I tried this bread and found it very dry. Taste wise I would say more like white bread.
  • sarabelle0
    sarabelle0 Posts: 49 Member
    I always toast it since it comes frozen and I love it. I only eat sprouted breads and this is one of the better ones. I also like their sprouted tortillas, so so much better for you then flour/corn tortillas. They do tend to break easy but the nutritional content and taste makes up for it.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,237 Member
    If you bought a loaf why don't you just try some? Hah..

Well I just tried this bread myself, had toast with pb&j this weekend using the ezekiel bread. I found it kinda more like white bread in that it was quite thin slices, and not so thick and like chewy? as most whole grain breads tend to be.

I didn't buy it...just saw it.
  • UponThisRock

Ok so here's where the other questions come in...I've found several "whole wheat" breads that I like. It's more or less soft and tastes decent...but I hear that a lot of whole wheat breads are basically processed and just as bad for you as white bread. So I'm not sure if I've really experienced actual whole wheat bread. The only thing for certain is multi-grain bread is awful to me.

Bread isn't a nutritional powerhouse, no matter what kind you get. I wouldn't call it "bad for you," no food is inherently bad for you outside the context of you overall diet.

So as long as you're getting fiber and other nutrients from elsewhere, it really doesn't matter what type of bread you eat.
  • I use this bread. Not the BEST bread i ever had but not so bad toasted.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member

You're not going to like it(if you don't like multi-grain...there is no way you'll like Ezekiel)...and eating whole wheat or even white bread isn't going to kill your health. The main thing to recognize is that white breads won't make you feel full for long and that they aren't packed with nutrients...but they won't make you fat unless you eat too many calories. :drinker:
  • If you have the money and 20 minutes a week I'd recommend a bread machine! I got one for Christmas and have been making homemade whole wheat bread every Sunday for the week. Takes about 20 minutes to assemble the ingredients (and I have complete control on what I put in it) and 4 hours later you have bread :)
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    It's what happens when sponges and cardboard breed.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    It can be dry for sure. I usually buy it frozen (though Trader joe's sells it not frozen) and I keep it in my freezer since I don't eat it everyday. I usually have it with eggs if I'm wanting a little bread or have a big workout coming up. I like it, but I pretty much like any food.
  • UponThisRock
    It's what happens when sponges and cardboard breed.

LOL. Pretty much this.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    It's good toasted or I make it as french toast. More filling than "regular' bread/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Whole wheat bread you might like (not pricey at all) - Bimbo brand sold at WalMart is very similar to white bread (has a white bear on the package). This may not have the most impressive "whole grain" stats. But, this was my "transition" bread. I do like whole grain breads now.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member

Yep, that's what I'd have to say as well.

However, Ezekiel makes a cinnamon raisin version, that when toasted is awesome, I was really surprised by how tasty it was.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    toasted? wonderful!
    untoasted? so NOT good!
  • BritFitB
    BritFitB Posts: 106 Member
    It's delicious, but I like whole wheat that is all-natural. For me, it's the only option. It is worth a try, I usually freeze an extra loaf and pull it out when I run out of the first loaf!