Weights? Reps or Heavy?

Options
Im confused...basically I need to lose weight and tone up...(Lose a lot of weight)

should I be lifting heavy weights?
Or should I do more reps with light weights?

Replies

• PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If you want muscle tone lift heavy.

e.g. 3 sets of all you can do for 3-5 reps. If you can complete 3 sets of 5 then it's time to bump up the weight.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Im confused...basically I need to lose weight and tone up...(Lose a lot of weight)

should I be lifting heavy weights?
    Or should I do more reps with light weights?

Ha, this is kind of a loaded question. The short-answer is both. Certain lifts should be heavy and certain lifts can be moderate to light. To really get a good understanding my best advice to you would be to read "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippletoe, OR "5/3/1 - 2nd Edition" by Jim Wendler, OR go to Stronglifts.com and read-up on 5x5 training. 5/3/1 is available as an eBook and is a quick read, not sure about Rippletoe's book(s). I am personally biased to 5/3/1but Rippletoe is also very intelligent about lifting.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    The new rules of lifting is a good read too
  • cooter2533
    Options
    Personally I do 3 sets and 6-10 reps, if I get 10 reps I normally up weight to try to get 6-8. Certain compound exercises I will do 4-5 sets, also remember that form is very very very important, don't "cheat" to get more reps or weight I.e. rocking back and forth your whole body when doing curls
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Heavy relative to the rep count. I can lift X amount for five reps, but not eight.. so for eight reps I would use a lighter amount which would still 'seem' heavy by the last rep. Higher reps (8 or more, my opinion) can build muscle, but are more practicle for endurance type training programs.

In order to lose weight and "tone up"... the diet does that.
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    If you don't know a lot about weight training I would suggest this program. I have been using it and I know a lot of people who have had great results on it. :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
  • Jay_3
    Jay_3 Posts: 9
    Options
    Heavy relative to the rep count. I can lift X amount for five reps, but not eight.. so for eight reps I would use a lighter amount which would still 'seem' heavy by the last rep. Higher reps (8 or more, my opinion) can build muscle, but are more practicle for endurance type training programs.

Im not sure what your getting at with the rep count but you make out it doesnt matter what it is from the first two lines, High rep are 15 up and thats when more endurance comes into it as you will be solely using slow twitch muscle fibres.

Yes diet plans a big part into getting lean (tone up as some people like to call it) but the more muscle mass you have the more fat you burn. Fact.

I'd advise periodization so do a strength programme like 5x5 for a few weeks then switch to a higher rep programme maybe 8-10 rep range. Your body will get used to any programme after 3 weeks that doesnt mean it will stop being effective but not as effective as it used to be and you need to shock your body by changing routines.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options

Im not sure what your getting at with the rep count but you make out it doesnt matter what it is from the first two lines, High rep are 15 up and thats when more endurance comes into it as you will be solely using slow twitch muscle fibres.

Yes diet plans a big part into getting lean (tone up as some people like to call it) but the more muscle mass you have the more fat you burn. Fact.

I'd advise periodization so do a strength programme like 5x5 for a few weeks then switch to a higher rep programme maybe 8-10 rep range. Your body will get used to any programme after 3 weeks that doesnt mean it will stop being effective but not as effective as it used to be and you need to shock your body by changing routines.

Allow me to simplify.. for sake of discussion, let's say my one rep max for a lift is 200 pounds. The same lift, my five rep max may be 180 pounds, 8 rep max 150. The point is, I'm reaching failure (lifting to failure is for another day) by the end of the set. The variable here is the amount of reps. If I chose to use a higher rep count set I must use a weight I can lift that many times yet still heavy enough to fatigue my muscle.

As far as ones body 'getting used to' a routine after 3 weeks (3 weeks for everyone, regardless of any possible variable??) this is a symptom of poor diet, neglected recovery, and lack of work in the gym.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Im not sure what your getting at with the rep count but you make out it doesnt matter what it is from the first two lines
    but you make out it doesnt matter

I AM the one who isn't sure what you are getting at.... try English please.
  • Jay_3
    Options

Allow me to simplify.. for sake of discussion, let's say my one rep max for a lift is 200 pounds. The same lift, my five rep max may be 180 pounds, 8 rep max 150. The point is, I'm reaching failure (lifting to failure is for another day) by the end of the set. The variable here is the amount of reps. If I chose to use a higher rep count set I must use a weight I can lift that many times yet still heavy enough to fatigue my muscle.

As far as ones body 'getting used to' a routine after 3 weeks (3 weeks for everyone, regardless of any possible variable??) this is a symptom of poor diet, neglected recovery, and lack of work in the gym.

If you do the same thing for too long your body gets used to it. If you change it about then it wont it has nothing to do with poor diet as i said you will still progress but........ooh you no what i dont care do what you thinks right keep reading your flex magazine but if you do decided to put the jay cutler posters away look up charles poliquin
  • Jay_3
    Options
    Im not sure what your getting at with the rep count but you make out it doesnt matter what it is from the first two lines
    but you make out it doesnt matter

I AM the one who isn't sure what you are getting at.... try English please.

I wont listen to anyone who has such poor symmetry as you yet still decides to post a topless picture.

EDIT: and it gets better looking at your profile your into steroid yet you have no need for them...
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options

If you do the same thing for too long your body gets used to it. If you change it about then it wont it has nothing to do with poor diet as i said you will still progress but........ooh you no what i dont care do what you thinks right keep reading your flex magazine but if you do decided to put the jay cutler posters away look up charles poliquin

I accept your concession. It was an enlightening debate.
  • Jay_3
    Options

I accept your concession. It was an enlightening debate.

I have no time for people like you
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Both! It keeps your body guessing.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Just don't get training ADD. By that I mean changing up program so frequently, I think this often gets misunderstood. Remember, "shocking" your body really means changing the stimulus. You can change that by changing weight, reps, sets, rest periods, even tempo. Your program doesn't have to be 100% low reps heavy weight or 100% high reps and light weight. Many top strength coaches will combine them. Meaning they will prescribe on Chest Day for example that you Bench Press (big compound movement) with a near Maximal Strength load (3 - 5 reps) and then your other chest exercises are moderate weight (like 8-10 reps). There's a lot of debate in this thread that could be confusing if you don't really understand eveything yet, I suggest doing your own research by reading one or two experts on the matter.

Women seem to like Mark Rippletoe's "Starting Strength" who is very well educated in this field and very accomplished. Jamie Eason, a little too foo-foo for me but she delivers results for women. Jim Wendler is my favorite. John Meadows at MountainDogDiet.com is awesome too. John DeFranco has done amazing work too.

Educate yourself, try something to see how you like it, and adjust from there. :)

Edit: Don't let the type of exercise method scare you into thinking you're going to get huge instead of lean like you want. Diet dictates the results moreso than the training itself.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If you can do more than 12-15 reps, then you are wasting your time. Your last rep should be to failure.

I prefer lower reps and higher weight though because it will make you stronger. I usually fail at 6 reps.
  • JNick77
    Options
    If you can do more than 12-15 reps, then you are wasting your time. Your last rep should be to failure.

I prefer lower reps and higher weight though because it will make you stronger. I usually fail at 6 reps.

Consistently training to failure is not great and cause you to wear out your CNS which is worse than just wearing out your muscles; not a good idea. It has it's merits and place in training but not all the time.