super bowl left overs

Options
2»

Replies

• hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I don't know of many places that can take homemade foods to redistribute. Liability for poor food prep and care make it difficult to do.

Some of the things you listed can be repurposed easily as well. For example, I often put hot wings on my salad to give it a kick, not to mention the protein. A little blue cheese dressing makes it well rounded (depending on your taste and calories for the day).

For chili, I would take some carrots, celery, or even potatoes and saute them up and add them to the mix. It decreases the amount of calories per bite, and if you portion it and freeze it you have who knows how many meals there.

I like to use guacamole instead of mayo on some sandwiches.

Also - Track down those boys and take them a care package of the sweets! Major kudo points for you if you do.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    That's a big reason I made all our superbowl snacks healthier versions. We had a bit left over and I had a slice of pizza (150c) and 1/2 serving of taco dip (100c) with homemade w/w tortilla chips (90c) and that was lunch. That's it for the pizza now and just 1/2 a serving of taco dip left and some 100c packs of guacamole.

Is there any way to salvage some of it? Guacamole can be a pretty healthy addition to salads and snacks and if you have wings left, can you strip the skin and use the meat to make wraps? Chili can be frozen. Any full fat dressings or dips should get pitched.

Good luck getting rid of it all, the easiest option is to have those boys come get the food, i'm sure they'd be happy to have it! :)
  • efox02
    Options
    not an option... i am a student and thats a lot of money spent on food that wont be thrown out... too wasteful.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I HATE throwing food out! Really? There's no shelter or anyone else who'd want food? Throwing perfectly good food away is DISGUSTING!!!!

I would take it to work or a shelter. Or call the boys. That's the best thing. Call the boys and have them "come visit" you ;)
  • nooodll
    Options
    I decided in the middle of the night that it's not my responsibility to eat all of the leftovers and to get back to my calorie counting today. I'm going to toss most of it, but take one dip to my gardening class on Friday and let them eat it:) This time I'm determined to lose the weight and those calories are not worth it!
  • scrapbookdiva2
    Options
    lol ok athough I would throw out most of it, unopened bags of chips store for a futuer party, sweets can be frozen, if there is other food that can be made into healthy meals ie. chicken into soups or sandwhiches it's ok to keep. But really if it is unhealthy snack food it was purchased for the party, and really isnt GROCERY worthy in my opinion and should be tossed!

Giving it away is another option, but you are just passing on your problem to another person who may also be struggling. File under "G"
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Take it to work and sabotage your co-workers!

There. Fixed it for you. :wink:

Yeah Right! ..... one of my co-workers brought in a chocolate cake (gone already) and a ginormous cookie. Not some crappy store bakery either ... this is/was the good stuff. Oh, well I'll do better tomorrow.
  • efox02
    Options
    Also im pretty sure it was an excuse for my roommates to eat the full fat stuff.. i mean i guess it tastes better but its not like the lowfat/fat free stuff tastes any worse. also a lot of shelters wont take open things... they wont want our vat of guac in a pie tin...thank you for so many suggestions and so fast. I will try to take some to work tomorrow...
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Donate it to a homeless shelter or chuck it.

Is tossing it wasteful? Perhaps. But if it were Halloween candy, you might just chuck it. Think of it the same way. It is all junk and it has no place in your regular diet.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    not an option... i am a student and thats a lot of money spent on food that wont be thrown out... too wasteful.

Ok, so are you asking for permission to eat the junk?

What is the difference if the boys had eaten last night or you throw it away? Either way, it's gone.

If you must, repurpose the foods and eat them in smaller portions with healthier options...like the wings on the salad idea.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Take it from a reformed office eating junkie--DO NOT EAT ANYTHING THEY BRING IN!! Don't eat the leftovers from the meetings. Don't take tastes of the cookies and brownies. Skip all that stuff. Oh yeah, and avoid the office candy too.

Eat your planned meals and skip the junk. Eat the junk when your plan allows it only.

Another really key thing--when you eat sugar in the office, you will crave sugar in the office. Resist -- after a few days you won't care (as much) anymore.

Cheers!
  • efox02
    Options

Ok, so are you asking for permission to eat the junk?

What is the difference if the boys had eaten last night or you throw it away? Either way, it's gone.

If you must, repurpose the foods and eat them in smaller portions with healthier options...like the wings on the salad idea.

No i am not asking for permission to eat junk, if i wanted to eat junk i wouldnt be asking for suggestions on how to not eat all this junk. And food being eaten and food being thrown away are two totally different things. I am asking for freezing suggestions - thank you for the chili idea, and healthy alternatives - thank you for the salad idea, not wasteful suggestions.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I am trying to think of more ideas for you. Is there anything else you are trying to repurpose aside from what you listed? For example, what kind of sweets?

I really liked the idea of making the wings into wraps. I would scarf that!

The chips might be crushed and used as bread crumbs - that would also keep you from munching on them in the mean time. Keep in mind though that the fat and salt will follow them, but the servings would theoretically be smaller.

Also I feel like you could use the onion dip to thicken some soups. I would try that in my kitchen, doesn't make it a good idea though!