Best yoga dvds for beginners

I was wanting to try yoga or pilates. I was looking for something to do on days I cant make it to a gym. any suggestions on dvds you guys have tried.
ps. I am a complete newbie at both yoga and pitates so it will have to be something for beginners. Thanks!

Replies

• lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Bob Harper has a Biggest Loser Yoga for Weight Loss DVD that is really good.
  • purplepunker321
    purplepunker321 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks I looked into Jillians yoga dvd but it was decribed at hard core yoga. I wasnt sure if that was what i was looking for.
  • I love yoga and started a couple of years ago with some simple videos. Now I do power yoga for an hour and can do many poses I never thought possible. I started with Sara Ivanhoe 20 minute makeover series. Since they are only 20 minutes, I would do them at the end of doing one of my other videos, or when I was short on time. I still do them once in awhile. Ellen Barrett is great for Pilates/Yoga mix - her Yogini workout. Again, I do it in addition to the other more intense videos I have. Just know that when you start doing yoga poses, your wrists might hurt. You will get past that. I was afraid at first that I might have to give it up because of the wrists, but they do get stronger and I don't even notice it anymore. After you get more used to the yoga poses, you can move on to Rodney Yee and some of the more difficult, longer videos.
  • purplepunker321
    purplepunker321 Posts: 8 Member
    Ellen Barrett Pilates/Yoga mix, does it have a beginners dvd? It sounds like something i would try. And thanks about terlling me about your wrists, I sure I would have been worried if I didnt know it was normal.
  • She has a series of videos that are 45 minutes long and incorporate Pilates type exercises. Some standing and some floor work. The one with the yoga mixed in is called Yogini. I like to do the hard core type exercises, like Jillian MIchaels or Bob Harper. But I think the Ellen Barrett videos are good for beginners or for the days when you don't want to do hard core, or even on rest days. Although I like Jillian Michaels, I tried her yoga and wasn't thrilled. I like the Bob Harper yoga, but it is definitely a strong workout and probably not for a beginner.
  • Ttrishaa
    Ttrishaa Posts: 15 Member
    I started doing yoga by looking on youtube and found Esther Eckart's channel "yogatic". She has a ton of videos and at least two beginners series. She's one of the few yoga instructors I've come across that I like.