Help, Chalean Extreme

Options
I just got a new still sealed set with all the extra's for $40 on CL :happy: \ (she even had the beachbody shipping invoice still in the box!)

I am planning to start Saturday after I am done with Level 3 of the 30 Day Shred.

Is it ok to start out with the bands to be sure I like it before investing any more $ in the program?
OR
if I was going to start with weights what lb weights would be the best to purchase to get started?
Also what would usually be the MAX lb weights you would use for the program?

Thanks

Replies

• AngieMcHenry
    AngieMcHenry Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have this and have really enjoyed it. I had never lifted weights before and we had a few dumbbells around that were my husband's. I don't think I would like the bands, but I haven' t really tried them. I use from 8lb, 10lb, 15lb, and 20lb weights so far. I am getting ready today to start the third phase (lean). You might try the bands to see if you can get the resistance you need from them and if not, just start over with weights.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I have heard the bands are killer for this, but I had weights so I went that route.

I had 3, 5, 8, 10lb then purchased a set of adjustable weights that went up to 25lbs.

I use the 3lb for warm up and burn intervals.

I just finished the Burn phase where the highest I used was 15lbs.

Good luck!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kel, just the feedback I was looking for. I have a 5lb so I may try them first and go on from there
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    As I'm skint and don't have much room either, I bought a selection pack of bands. There's 5 in total with varying degrees of resistance. Some of the moves are fab with them, but deadlifts, rows and bench presses tend to be a bit meh IMO. Perhaps I'm not doing it right?

Because its low rep, you might get bored with your 5 lbs quite quickly. I have some dumb bells that I started off using (4.4 lbs and 6.6 lbs). I found them only really effective on moves that worked the shoulders.
  • nailed479
    Options
    I would do whatever you are comfortable working with. Personally I don't care for the bands. I just started today and I use 5, 8 and 10 lbs weights, I think I might up them next week, some of them were a little to light for me.
  • AlissaAngelo
    AlissaAngelo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You will find that you are needing heavier weight... you will need at least 10 lb weights for your lower body exercises. It will be surprising how strong you are. As you reach the second phase, PUSH, it's very likely you will need even heavier weights. I use all the way up to 25 lb weights when I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme.

Good luck to you, it's an awesome set of workouts!
    Alissa
    www.AlissaAngelo.com