Where do you find the time?

kjllose
kjllose Posts: 948 Member
Hi Skinnier_me, where do you find the time to make all these great recipes? I come home and I'm tired and the last thing I want to do is cook. Are you a chef? Where do you look for your recipes. Karen

Replies

• kjllose
    Hi Skinnier_me, where do you find the time to make all these great recipes? I come home and I'm tired and the last thing I want to do is cook. Are you a chef? Where do you look for your recipes. Karen
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    I'm a stay at home mom so when my 1 year is taking her nap or keeping herself busy & my 6 year old is in school, I get on and look for recipes that sound good to me.

Most of the recipes I find do not take long at all to prep/cook.
  • kjllose
    Thanks for the info, I want to check out that site. I drive a schoolbus for a k-12 school so I have lots of little ones on my route to watch out for. But all my own kids are in college so you think I would have more time for the cooking and less of it. I try to make all my meals from scratch since I think it is healthier than prepackaged stuff but boy there are days where I would just like to pop something in the microwave and veg. I usually grill alot of my food. The stuffed sole you put on the site( at least I think it was you) was very good. I bet your kids just keep you very busy. I know mine did at that age. Thanks again for the web site. Karen
  • Some days, I just don't want to cook but I agree that it is much healthier to make your own meals at home. So, I make extra portions of some things and pop them in the freezer for the "Let's eat out" days. It is much more economical and healthier.
  • Skinnier_Me
    I know what you mean.
    I've slowed down the cooking b/c we're trying to moveso I have been eating more frozen foods(Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers, Healthy Choice). I am addicted to Lean Cuisine's Steak, Cheddar & Mushroom Panini. It is so tastey even though I don't like mushrooms. I just pick them out.
    I was indeed the one that posted the sole. The fish roll-ups is very good too and so fast and easy to make.

My 6 year old is so very easy to care for. She has been that way since she was a baby. She has a great imagination and can play by her own for hours but my 1 year.... she's the total opposite. She will sit on the floor and will point to the floor to sit you down next to her to play. We're usually outside jumping on the trampoline or swinging.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Oh, I posted the Roast chicken with lemon and oregano a few weeks ago along with the Chicken Primavera Pizza. The ingredients for the pizza are the extra left overs from the Roast chicken recipe so right there you have basically made 2 meals at the same time.
  • I've slowed down the cooking b/c I am in the middle of huge home improvement projects! Same type of problem you have, I'm sure! :-)

I also plan salad-based dinners a few times a week. That way I can make a big, basic green salad on Sunday or Monday, use it as a side dish or lunch a few times a week and add to it to make a dinner. This week I did a chicken taco salad (chicken breasts w/seasoning, green onion, cilantro, tomatoes, red bell pepper, reduced fat cheese, a sm. dollop of guacamole and lots of salsa) and an italian salad (reduced fat provolone & mozz, kalamata olives thinly sliced, red onion, mushrooms, orange bell pepper, a few slices ea. black pepper salami and prosciutto julienned.) I don't need much of the meats (or olives) for the italian salad so I used regular. A little goes a long way. I just wanted a bit of the flavor. I do use a very small amount of italian dressing, as well.
  • dragonfly183
    dragonfly183 Posts: 73 Member
    i used to love to cook but I've noticed as I I've gotten older I'm just not into it anymore.
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    I have three kids a six year old a 16 months old and 2month old well as you can imagine the bigger ones are fussy They each have to have something different the 15mnth old curently will only eat fruit and mac and chesse my older one is going through a soup stage and my husband god love him is one of those naturally fit people. He eats what he wants when he wants and you could still do laundry on his stomach and he never excersises. He loves his meat and potatoes. So needless to say i feel like a restaraunt especially when my meals get technical.
  • kjllose
    I thought it would get easier when the kids grew up and moved out but, my middle child and her significant other are living with uswhile they get their house built and between her classes at graduate school and his ( he works a midnight to eight shift) I find it hard to make something everyone could eat. So now they are all responsible for making their own or eating what I have made. Which tonight was wonderfully quick and easy. I shish ka bobbed shrimp and succhini and yellow squash on the grill with lemon butter. Also grilled tomatos and green peppers. Have to use the stuff up from the garden. Supper took about a half hour to prepare and I hate to spend alot of time cooking. It was fairly inexpensive calorie wise. I ate more in snacks calories wise than I did at supper lol.
  • ukbrat1
    ukbrat1 Posts: 10
    Made a great East Indian Soup last night
    1 large onion chopped
    16 okra
    1 super large tomato
    1 jar of madras sauce
    1/2 cup water
    simmer on low for about 40 minutes
    serve in deep bowls with toast
    My husband raved about it
    With the Madras being very hot and spicy it seemed to fill you up
    If the Madras sauce is too hot try a Korma one
    If you cannot or do not like Okra try cauliflower or some other veg.
    I think I will make this again as it was super quick and easy
This discussion has been closed.