Fruit only for Breakfast?

Options
Hey everyone:

I was just curious if anyone here has done the fruit only for breakfast way of eating?

Has it worked for you?

Thanks for any POSITIVE advice/guidance!

13870666.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nope. i dont find fruit very filling, so its not something i would try.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I can't stay full on fruit only for breakfast. Plus, I don't handle the blood sugar spike well first thing in the morning. I need some protein and complex crabs to keep me going.

All I can say is try it and see how it works out for you. We're all different!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Nover heard of that, but I will say I need more than fruit for breakfast to keep me full. I workout in the morning so I need some carbs and protein in the early morning hours. :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That's a way of eating? :huh: I do eat fruit with breakfast every day, but I also have an egg and coconut milk.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Doesn't suit me - my stomach reacts badly to sugary things, especially on an empty stomach, and also I find protein based breakfasts help keep me fuller for longer.

This is not to say that it wont suit you, though!
  • pokeypeep
    Options
    I have fruit but with yogurt.
  • orangecap
    Options
    I eat fruit every breakfast in the way of a smoothie. One banana, a bit of fruit, milk (skim), sometimes a touch of protein powder and maybe a bit of yogurt (if I have it). It's roughly 265 calories. Keeps me full too and you can mix it up. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone:

I was just curious if anyone here has done the fruit only for breakfast way of eating?

Has it worked for you?

What's the logic behind this, that sugar/carbs are evil and if eaten later in the day turn right to fat?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'd be starving in an hour. I need protein.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i had melon for breakfast last week and was starving after about 30 mins! usually i have porridge with fruit or wholegrain toast with cottage cheese, they are much better :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    A little bit of fruit with breakfast is okay, but you should still be adding some protein... Maybe yogurt & fruit?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My first personal trainer suggested it around 6 years ago. I tried it but it was not enough for me. I have to add yogurt and a couple of tablespoons of granola in order for me not to be hungry.

I refuse to go hungry, period.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do tend to have fruit but it's frozen berries (thawed while cooking the breakfast) layered over the french toast or pancakes, or in a yogurt or on top of the oatmeal / porridge...

Fruit alone... some mornings I'll have a banana and not much else. But I couldn't hack it daily being the only breakfast.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Tried it, but after an hour I'm ready to eat my arm.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Are you asking about a "fruit-only" breakfast, as in the only thing you eat for breakfast is fruit? Or about having fruit only at breakfast, as in fruit is off-limits at other meals or times of day? I read it the first way, but I think someone else read it the second way. Thanks :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I was having smoothies the other week and gained weight. Too much sugar I think. Kept me quite full, but porridge works better x
  • loriamcq
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Unless you're eating every hour or two I dont think it's a good way to go. I also eat yogurt with granola and fresh berries at least 3 mornings a week and that keeps me satisfied for around 5 hours.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    The days I have fruit only for breakfast are the days I have the most energy and feel generally awesome!! You have to eat more than one piece of fruit though to hold you over. I feel it's best to have a piece of fruit or 2 every hour for the first few hours of the day, then I'm good to go until lunch. If you still feel hungry, have another piece of fruit.

I haven't been motivated to do this everyday though. Some days I have a protein shake, some days oatmeal or porridge. But having a fruit morning a couple days a week feels great to me!
  • c16barrios
    Options
    Have you notice a change in your difestive systeme or weight loss?
  • c16barrios
    Options
    Hey everyone:

Has it worked for you?

What's the logic behind this, that sugar/carbs are evil and if eaten later in the day turn right to fat?

Not completly... I just read that it helps with your digestive system, metablism, and to lose weight.