Ezekiel Bread?

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,237 Member
    If you don't like whole wheat bread, you'll hate Ezekiel

Ok so here's where the other questions come in...I've found several "whole wheat" breads that I like. It's more or less soft and tastes decent...but I hear that a lot of whole wheat breads are basically processed and just as bad for you as white bread. So I'm not sure if I've really experienced actual whole wheat bread. The only thing for certain is multi-grain bread is awful to me.
    You're not going to like it(if you don't like multi-grain...there is no way you'll like Ezekiel)...and eating whole wheat or even white bread isn't going to kill your health. The main thing to recognize is that white breads won't make you feel full for long and that they aren't packed with nutrients...but they won't make you fat unless you eat too many calories. :drinker:

This pretty much answers everything...I understand the more processed breads convert to sugar faster and make you feel hungry sooner...which is why I was hoping to go this route. Sounds like the ezekiel bread is not the way to go for me though. Any suggestions on what to look for on the package of a whole wheat bread to ensure its not crap? Currently we've been buying the target brand whole wheat or the franz whole wheat.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,115 Member
    I use the sprouted tortillas to make homemade pizzas. I like the tortillas never tried the bread though.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    I love Ezekiel products- the bread, the English muffins, the hamburger buns, etc! I have found that the best way to keep it soft when heating is just about 30 seconds in the microwave. Heating it in a toaster can result in that nasty 'cardboard' texture.

If you can't go for Ezekiel- try looking for Joseph's brand flax pitas and lavash. These are VERY soft, really tasty and are low carb/high protein.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    toasted? wonderful!
    untoasted? so NOT good!

I have to agree. I love mine toasted with a little all natural peanut butter, or made into a egg sandwich with a little cheese and bacon on it.
  • Divajj914
    Divajj914 Posts: 29 Member
    Ezekial is a bread that is sprouted from seeds. it's always frozen and I've found that Organic Whole Wheat is good enough for me... but I do encourage you to try things for yourself because everyone is different! :-)
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    I've never had the bread, but the english muffins are really good!
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    I highly recommend Ezekiel bread. Being vegan, its about the only bread I eat. I love a tougher, crunchier type of bread and I go even further and burn my toast so it works out quite well for me.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 615 Member

Yep, that's what I'd have to say as well.

However, Ezekiel makes a cinnamon raisin version, that when toasted is awesome, I was really surprised by how tasty it was.

Yes, on the Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,237 Member
    it's always frozen

At the store by me it's not frozen...sold in with the rest of the bread.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    People always talk about this sprouted grain Ezekiel bread...I didn't think it was available around here but I saw it at a specialty grocery store the other day and almost bought some. But I wanted some insight first...every multigrain bread i've tried has been awful. I don't mind the taste but the texture is absolutely horrid. So what is the sprouted grain bread like? Is it soft?

I've loved whole grain, 7-grain, etc, type breads for a long time so eating Ezekiel Bread has been easy for me. I guess it comes down to preference. See if you know somebody that likes Ezekiel Bread, buy it and if you don't like it give it to them.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    I usually get the pita bread, but I find I can digest it easier and it dosnt leave me bloated like regular bread does.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member

Yep, that's what I'd have to say as well.

However, Ezekiel makes a cinnamon raisin version, that when toasted is awesome, I was really surprised by how tasty it was.

Yes, on the Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel.

Yeah, this is like my one real treat that I'm allowed to have 2 or 3 times a week. Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread with a tbsp of Almond Butter.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    I can eat it toasted, but not untoasted....Its a pretty bland bread.
  • Nenalosesweight
    Nenalosesweight Posts: 2 Member
    My boss eats this ALLLLL the time....he make like some type of roll up with avocado, bacon, and other stuff. I've tried it before and I can say I am NOT a fan. tastes like cardboard. just saying :)
  • Nenalosesweight
    Nenalosesweight Posts: 2 Member
    I'm sorry he doesnt eat the ezekiel bread....he eats the tortillas
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I :heart: cinnamon raisin ezekiel bread. Toasted. With peanut butter and marmelade. :love: :drinker:
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    I love the stuff, but I prefer my bread to seem a distant cousin of cardboard/oatmeal cookie (disgusted by white bread). If you like Wonderbread, you'll hate Ezekiel. There's a lot of "white whole wheat" out there now, though. It's made with whole grain too, just using a different type of wheat than traditional wheat bread.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    it's always frozen

At the store by me it's not frozen...sold in with the rest of the bread.

That's really surprising... I've only ever seen it frozen and I assumed that was how it was always sold!

Just found this on their website: "Food For Life products are marketed on a frozen basis to the natural food marketplace and shelf life will depend upon the date products are thawed (except for the local Southern California Supermarket chains where they are distributed on a fresh basis. Note: While most Natural Food Stores display Food For Life products in the freezer, there are some “higher volume” stores who market Food For Life products off their store shelves or in the cooler or dairy case. It is advised to request the date the products were first thawed to determine life expectancy according to the guides below:

Life Expectancy:
    Frozen (0°F) - 9 months
    Refrigerated (45°F) - 2 weeks
    Fresh (75°F) - 5 days

If products are purchased within these time periods from either the date of production or the date thawed, we recommend refrigerating or freezing for longer periods of keeping."
  • Try the cinnamon raisin kind (if you can find it - they have it at Trader Joe's) and spread fat free Greek yogurt on it. I have this for breakfast several times a week and it's really good! I don't think it tastes any better or worse than traditional whole wheat bread. It does go bad more quickly, so keep it in the freezer!
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    If you are wanting a whole wheat bread, the first ingredient should be whole wheat flour. If it says "enriched" anything (which means they took out all the nutrients and added back some of them) don't buy it. If sugar is in the first five ingredients, I'd also beware. I like the Orowheat Whole Wheat & Flax, but their 100% Whole Wheat is also yummy. I do like bread with some texture though (oat-y, nutty), rather than gluey soft breads, though.