My Ab Workout

Options
Hi MFP Friends!

I've had a lot of requests for tips on strengthening abs so just thought I would post what I do to keep my abs in shape.

Mondays: 10 minutes worth of planks (front, side, twisting, and one foot)

Tuesdays: Rest abs

Wednesday: Rest abs

Thursdays: 15 minutes of weighted abs using 10-15 pounds for twisting planks, peak contraction pulses, and double crunches

Friday: Rest the abs

Saturday: Full 60 minute Abdominal workout (example below)
-10 minutes of warm-up on a cardio machine
-30 second side plank into one minute front plank (repeat for each side)
-20 peak contraction crunches with 10 lb. plate/ 20 lower ab roll-ups with 5 lb. ankle weights/ 20 bicycles with 5 lb. ankle weights/ followed by 45 sec FAST peak contraction double crunches (repeat 3 time around)
- 12 ball pikes (repeat 2 times)
- 20 twisting planks/40 front plank toe taps/1 minute single leg front plank (repeat for each side)
- 40 crunches with 10 lb. plate behind the head/20 bicycle crunches with no weight (repeat 5 times with 10 second break between rounds)
- 20 ab rolls ups with 5 lb. ankle weights/20 crunches with 10lb. plate behind the head (repeat 3 times with 10 second break between crunches)
- 20 peak contraction crunches with 10 lb. plate/ 20 lower ab roll-ups with 5 lb. ankle weights/ 20 bicycles with 5 lb. ankle weights/ followed by 45 sec FAST peak contraction double crunches (repeat 3 time around)
- 12 ball bikes (repeat 2 times
- 45 second superman holds with no weight (repeat 3 times)
STRETCH & WATER!

Sunday: REST the abs!

I also have a recent blog post about abs: http://squarepegs.typepad.com/whats_cooking/2012/01/getting-to-the-core-of-absolutely-fabulous-abs.html

Also remember ABS are strengthened in the gym, but diet is critical for allowing that strength to visibly show!! You CAN'T spot reduce, but you can strengthen by muscle/muscle group. Getting strong abs takes a combination of light/moderate cardio, strength training, and eating right! Have a great day- hope this helps!

Replies

• frankhuerta
    frankhuerta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great stuff...thanks for sharing!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    So are you saying you only strength train your abs/core? This would be very bad advice if its true...

Or is it on your "rest abs" days you are doing other types of lifting? If so do you allow for lifts that work the abs as well on "rest ab" days
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I strength train every day- but this is specifically what I do for my abs. My full workout routine is:

Mondays: 60 minutes cardio/abs/ heavy full chest workout
    Tuesdays: Zumba + heavy full bi/tri and legs
    Wednesday: No cardio- heavy shoulders
    Thursdays: 30 min. light cardio/abs/ heavy full back workout + supersets on abductors and adductors
    Fridays: No cardio- supersets on biceps and triceps
    Satruday: Full ab workout
    Sunday: Full body HIIT + Zumba
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Thanks i figured you did, i mostly wanted everyone else out there to see you did. I'm sure someone would have read your work out and said "ok that is all i need to do to drop 30 pounds and have great abs"