Assistance PLEASE! This is getting ridiculous.

Options
Here's the not so skinny on my weight loss story thus far. Imagine that someone said to you--for the next two plus weeks, you will adhere to a 1,200 calorie diet. You will weight train three times a week, and engage in some form of strenuous cardio exercise four days a week. And in return, you will gain and lose the same two pounds the entire time, and you'll start week three off with an additional two ounces of poundage more than you originally started off with.

Welcome to my world.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm fluctuating the same two couch potato pounds I've carried since I gained this weight. My dieting weight does the exact same thing as my non-dieting weight--exact same numbers when I eat what I want and don't exercise. It's depressing.

I did just start back to the gym with this newest attempt at losing weight--but I had been walking and hiking on a weekly basis before that--I just upped the time and the difficulty of my hikes. It's funny, I've tried other diets in the recent past, Wheat Belly and the 17 Day Diet to name a few. Pounds would start to melt off--I lost nearly 9 pounds on each--but then I'd have a bad reaction from carb starvation and give up. Now that I'm logging every morsel and religiously exercising in some fashion every day, I can't permanently lose an ounce and in fact, have gained two ounces more than I originally started out with.

I realize that a little over two weeks is not a vast amount of time, but one would expect to see SOME sort of change by now--in my weight, in the way my clothes fit--SOMETHING!

But I've got zip, zilch, nada. Oh wait, I do have a 1.3% loss of body fat according to the gizmo my trainer uses, but even that could be wrong. I'm not sure how holding on to a steering wheel type device actually measures body fat to begin with.

Some folks on the site say "eat back your exercise calories." My trainer makes me replace my evening meals with protein shakes and tells me to stay the course. Well, the course isn't working and I need help.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Eat atleast your BMR. You may gain at first but it really helped me tremendously when I was lifting and hovered at the same weight for 7 weeks. It was a night and day difference how I felt as well. I know the notion of eating more sounds scary but I truly believe it helped me. Also yes you do need to be eating your exercise calories back.

And i think ive said this to you before... Eat real food for dinner or after your workout! Honestly, who wants to dri k shakes forever? And how are you teaching yourself proper eating habits.....

Best of luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Have you tried actually measuring yourself with a measuring tape? You're right, two weeks isn't so long but you're also right to expect some sort of reduction in weight during that time. I completely understand your frustration, having gone through a similar experience myself 6 months ago.

Frankly, I'd take the body fat reduction to be a positive change. Give it a little more time and see if you've still lost more with your next measuring. In the meantime, break out the measuring tape and record your measurements here. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat by volume so your weight might stay the same but your measurements will decrease if you're replacing fat with muscle.

ETA: I honestly think the shake thing at night is a bad idea. You should be learning to eat properly and you aren't going to be drinking shakes for your nightly meal when you hit your goal weight. Hopefully, the shakes aren't something you are purchasing pre-made with some sort of proceeds or commission going to the trainer or I'd be highly suspicious.

Also, if you aren't netting 1200 calories a day (calories consumed - calories burned in exercise), you should definitely re-consider upping them so you are.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    I have no advice other than good luck. Hopefully all your hard work starts to pay off soon.
  • kathyblake
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water? And, remember when doing a tough program at gym you are probably trading fat pounds for muscle pounds. Muscle weighs more and more muscle burns more calories. It is certainly healthier! Keep plugging away...it will pay off.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is really not nearly enough time to see a big change, unless you have alot to lose. I gained at first too, just b/c I was gaining muscle. In time, that muscle will burn off more calories throughout the day. Stick with it and it will pay off!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not generally enough for anybody, especially some who is working out at much as you are. You definitely need to be eating back your exercise calories. You lose weight by creating a calorie deficit - calories burned minus calories eaten. Ideally this deficit should be no larger than 1000 calories a day and the less you have to lose, the smaller the number should be. I'm 5'6", weigh currently 155 lbs and I eat anywhere from 1600-1800 calories a day and am still losing weight. You have to fuel your body to make it work for you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    undereating
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I know it gets harder at our age as well.

Some factors that are making it hard for me:
    I have PCOS (a very common insulin resistance endocrin disorder)
    I have peri-menopause (can you say hormones out of whack? holy moly!)
    I recently realized I have gluten intolerance which can also cause weight gain

On another note, 1200/day is way too low for most people - unless you have quite a bit of weight to lose.
    I can't tell what you should be since I don't know your height, weight, goal weight or activity level but I would look at that again.

Here is a good guide to following if you're setting your calorie net:

75lbs or more: Choose to lose 2lbs/week
    40-75 pounds: Choose to lose 1.5lbs/week
    25-40 pounds: Choose to lose 1lb/week
    15-20 pounds: Choose either 1/2lb or 1lb
    Less than 15/20 pounds: choose 1/2 lb/week

I also changed my settings to eat higher protein, lower carb --- 40% protein, 30% carb and that helps me a lot.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Watch Dr OZ Top 10 Shocking Health MYTHS: http://www.doctoroz.com//videos/shocking-health-myths-pt-1

Some people who can't lose the last 10 to 15lbs is caused by an allergy to milk or wheat. The symptoms are stalled weight loss, bloat and fatigue. Milk protein is hidden everywhere: Canned tuna, protein shakes, deli meats, cold cuts and bread.

Try avoiding any milk products for 3 weeks. See if that helps. Watch the show, there are more details and explanations there.
  • hjohns65
    hjohns65 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Eat atleast your BMR. You may gain at first but it really helped me tremendously when I was lifting and hovered at the same weight for 7 weeks. It was a night and day difference how I felt as well. I know the notion of eating more sounds scary but I truly believe it helped me. Also yes you do need to be eating your exercise calories back.

I recently did the same thing upped my cal intake to my BMR what a difference! At first I was like that's a lot of cals to be upping- but if you fill it with good healthy foods your not going to notice a hugely negative impact- well okay at least i didn't. Good luck!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

And i think ive said this to you before... Eat real food for dinner or after your workout! Honestly, who wants to dri k shakes forever? And how are you teaching yourself proper eating habits.....

Best of luck!

I agree with all of this. That is the one thing that jumps out when I look at your diary: you aren't providing your body with enough fuel for you to drop any pounds. I also got stuck for almost 2 months before I FINALLY accepted that I needed to eat more. You definitely aren't gaining muscle if you are working out hard on 1200 calories a day, so that doesn't explain the lack of loss. If anything, you will lose muscle (and fat too) by not eating enough.
  • Babs540
    Babs540 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Your trainers BMI scale is probably right and your replacing fat with muscle which weighs more. Also, ask your trainer about your body's 'set-point-weight' and how you can trick your body past this point. Our bodies get comfortable at a certain weight and will try to maintain it regardless of your training. But a steady and consistent workout routine with good food, water, sleep and exercise will prevail eventually. Hang in there. Results aren't always immediate.
  • azjlmar123
    azjlmar123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Follow Bluefever (ask to be her friend). Her meal plan worked for me (i was the skinniest ever in my life). I like cardio but lifting weights is what is the trick for me to lose ANY weight. I could run 20 marathons and still be the same weight. LOL Just a thought. I have struggled with your exact situation for the last year. I had forgotten that the key to my weight loss and inches loss is weight lifting (not heavy weights). I was 126 when i did that about 6 years ago. I am 142 now and am starting that regime again. i KNOW i will be back down to 126 by early summer cuz that is the ONLY key to my success. Good luck. Its lots of oatmeal, egg whites and other proteins. I am supplementing my vitamin source with Visalus (cuz it works for me and i hate taking pills).
  • meldaigle
    meldaigle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have never replied to any blogs in my entire life! I completly understand what you are saying. I went through the exact same thing!!! I have plateaud for like 6 months after loosing a few stupid pounds (on and off)

Here is the best advice you will ever get: Go to your facebook and ''like'' the metabolic effect page! It is the absolute best. They also have a book : the new ME diet. It's easy, simple and a completly different approach to fat loss. It goes so much further than eating less and exercising more!! It is the ONLY thing that has worked for me.

Also another recommendation, when you go out for a walk, listen to the cutthefatpodcast they are really great and will surely help a lot!

Don't give up! I know it's hard right now! It's all about learning about your metabolism and understanding how to truly loose fat! Good luck!
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for responding.

I should tell you that I am 5'8" with my small frame currently residing in 172 pounds (36.2%) of body fat.

My ideal weight, which I was at less than 2 years ago is 138 while (working out and hiking). I was 50, nearly 51 years old (just turned 53). I wasn't "skinny-fat" either. I had nice, well defined arms, legs, and abs.

What happened? Well menopause for one...my hormones are wacky and I can't get a single doctor to listen to me, OB or endocrinogist.

I currently have my settings on MFP at 1.5 pounds a week and it is what set me forth on the 1200 calorie diet and my trainer is the one who is encouraging me to stay with it.

Really though, if I burn through 1,000 calories in a day on one of my mega hikes, and I'm only eating 1,200 and my trainer is telling me not to eat any back--that just seems to be a recipe for disaster. Makes me question her credibility and my gullibility.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    MFPs setting for 1200 calories a day is assuming that you WILL eat back your exercise calories because the calorie deficit you are looking for is why your calorie count is so low to start with. I think I would definitely be questioning my trainer.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Really though, if I burn through 1,000 calories in a day on one of my mega hikes, and I'm only eating 1,200 and my trainer is telling me not to eat any back--that just seems to be a recipe for disaster. Makes me question her credibility and my gullibility.
    This is probably the most important thing you've said. Dieting is not a cookie cutter plan. If you're burning 1000 calories you should definitely be eating a lot more than 1200 that day. And at 5'8" you should be eating more than 1200 to begin with. I'd question her credibility, as well.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It's only been two weeks... If your body isn't used to that much exercise you will be retaining water to repair your muscles.
    I started nearly 3 weeks ago, 1200 cal diet, gym 3 times a week (weight training and C25K) and my weight has dropped by about 1/2 a pound.
    I think I'm retaining water for muscle repair and building more muscle... I feel fitter and I am losing inches.
    Have you been measuring yourself? I measure my hips, waist, upper arm and thigh.
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I measured a week ago but I haven't done so again yet.

It seems that if I were losing inches, my clothing would fit differently--but I'm still stuffed into my jeans like a sausage in a casing.
  • Prefessa
    Options
    Kelekat:

Been there and its sucks....I tried Biking 90 miles a week a few years ago which should have given me 2 lbs a week given my diet....at the end of 3 months of biking in the heat of the summer I lost 3 lbs...it was like the first law of thermodynamics didn't exist.

You need to find a doctor ASAP that will listen too you and do some blood work....what Happened in my case is I had the early stages of Type II diabetes, a Vit B12 and Vit D deficiency. Once these things were corrected through medicication (FYI it took months!!) the weight flew off in big gobs!

Now blood sugar issues is just 1 of dozens of things that can grind weight loss to a halt. Thyroid issues, estrogen issues, food alergies, iron deficiency, Leptin downregulation(Adaptive Thermogenisis) and others will do the same thing. My Doctotor put me though a 1/2 day worth of blood work, plus did a full metabolic workup that incuded determination of BMR through respirometry.