Lactose Intolerant

Options
Hi all,

I have just found out I'm lactose intolerant. I had no idea how much of my fave foods would be off limits.

I am really missing ice cream.

Can anyone give me recipes or advise on how to live with this annoying issue.

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have just found out I'm lactose intolerant. I had no idea how much of my fave foods would be off limits.

There are several brands of soy ice cream...they are actually very good. Give them a try.
  • OkieGal
    OkieGal Posts: 23
    Options
    I sympathise as I recently discovered this too and it's a pain in the butt! Soy might work for you, sadly it makes me vomit almost instantly, even worse than the lactose!!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Oh I LOVE soy icecream!!! Try "Soy Delicious" brand. The cookies & cream rocks my socks off. :tongue: I actually just don't like the taste of cow milk so I use vanilla soymilk in my coffee, cereal, oatmeal, and for cooking I'll replace milk with plain soymilk if I don't have any regular milk on hand (my husband drinks it). I've heard that sometimes yogurt and cheese don't bother lactose intolerant people because they're lower in lactose, and there are also medications you can take before you eat dairy that will take care of the problem so you can pretty much eat whatever you want afterwards. My experience with soy cheese was *NOT* good. Yuck yuck yuck. :sick: I do not recommend it. Good luck!
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you can tolerate soy.

Unfortunately, like Okiegal, my body doesn't like soy much either.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options

How about Rice Milk? Or Goat milk? Is that the same lactose-wise?
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Hi all,

They do make pills that you can take before you eat dairy that help your body digest the lactose.

I sometimes get a reaction to dairy, but it's usually things that are higher in fat. For example, if I stick to skim milk, I can drink it all day long, but 2% does horrible things to me. I can eat Edy's slow churned ice cream, and Baskin Robbins, but Dairy Queen and Coldstone Creamery make me instantly and violently ill. I have no problem eating yogurt, and cheese is fine as long as I don't eat a lot of it. Is it possible that this is true for you too?
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am not lactose intolerant but I am allegric to cow's milk so I can relate. Be sure it isn't an allergy, there is a big difference.

I miss icecream too. In fact I was just complaining about it last night :grumble: Luckily I can have frozen yogurt which isn't quite the same but close. Do you like sherbert? I had some great orange sherbert a few weeks ago? Also, I have heard there are pills you can take if you are lactose intollerent. Why go without icecream if you don't have to?:flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Goat's milk also has lactose. But since I am allergic to cow's milk I drink it all the time and it is great. It's suppose to be healthier than cow's milk too, although I haven't reallt researched it.
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm not really sure about this?
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

They do make pills that you can take before you eat dairy that help your body digest the lactose.

I sometimes get a reaction to dairy, but it's usually things that are higher in fat. For example, if I stick to skim milk, I can drink it all day long, but 2% does horrible things to me. I can eat Edy's slow churned ice cream, and Baskin Robbins, but Dairy Queen and Coldstone Creamery make me instantly and violently ill. I have no problem eating yogurt, and cheese is fine as long as I don't eat a lot of it. Is it possible that this is true for you too?

This used to be true for me... but all I have ever drank is skim... so I don't know how this happened. My doctor told me that I am at the age where I can get this and I just had a 6 day stomach virus. he told me that it might have made me more sensitive to dairy and I noticed the symptoms more.

As far as cheese, I have tried eating it (I have been a bit in denial here...) and I get so sick... like up all night sick.
  • momonkey678
    Options
    Iv been lactose intolerant since junior high, the lactate ultra pills work really well. I cant eat anything dairy with out them, but as long as I have a pill I can have Ice cream cheese what ever. Dont get the chewable ones they are nasty! I get them at costco tons cheaper than any where else that sells them. and if you do soy milk go for the silk brand its the only one I will drink (the chocolate is really good)
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Hi all,

This used to be true for me... but all I have ever drank is skim... so I don't know how this happened. My doctor told me that I am at the age where I can get this and I just had a 6 day stomach virus. he told me that it might have made me more sensitive to dairy and I noticed the symptoms more.

As far as cheese, I have tried eating it (I have been a bit in denial here...) and I get so sick... like up all night sick.

Can you eat yogurt? If you can, maybe try eating one of the pro-biotic kinds for two weeks and see if that helps. If the symptoms started after a stomach virus, there's a good chance that you have simply lost a good amount of the "good bacteria" in you intestines that help with digestion. If you are wary of yogurt, you can also get live pro-biotic supplements at health food stores. And even if it doesn't help, it certainly won't hurt.
  • lisaj950
    lisaj950 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Breyers makes a lactose free Vanilla Ice Cream. It is very good. I add chocolate chips to it! Lactaid also now makes Ice Cream - currently I have found Chocolate, Vanilla and Butter Pecan. Also very good
  • pinkhuntinggirl13
    Options
    I have been diagnosed lactose intolerant by the doctor. I described my symptoms to her (gas, stomach pain, etc.) and she referred me to have a lactose test (which is horrible, but doable) and then she found that I am in fact lactose intolerant (when they test for lactose they also test for gluten intolerance). Nowadays, it's fairly easy to avoid dairy products with such a wide selection of non-dairy products available. There is lactose free sour cream, milk. Soy cheese, yogurt (which is actually pretty good...the cheese not so much). Goat products are also lactose free, I LOVE feta and goat cheeses so that's perfect for me but I've never tried goat milk. Of course, there's also lactaid available in a large variety of sizes. No name products work just as well but are about half the price. Because I have such a severe intolerance I have to take 3 Ultra (9000 unit) pills each and every time. However when I started it wasn't too bad and I only had to take one 1500 unit. Do NOT take more than 3 Ultra pills at one time, if you've worked up to that and it's still a problem then you need to cut dairy from your diet. Any questions, just send me a message!