For people who can run a mile...

Options
Hey, I was wondering for the people on here who can run a mile who don't feel like they will pass out right after, how did you do that? I mean I know if you push yourself enough you can do it but it's really hard for me and I'm not even overweight but I am trying to lose about 15 lbs. I want to eventually be able to run a mile and feel great even it's just on a treadmill.

Replies

• Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Build up slowly, you will get there!

The Couch to 5k running programme is great for something to aim for. Can get it as an app too.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    would be worth checking out the couch to 5k programme. i started off last may barely able to run 3mins,now i manage 9miles +
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was wondering for the people on here who can run a mile who don't feel like they will pass out right after, how did you do that? I mean I know if you push yourself enough you can do it but it's really hard for me and I'm not even overweight but I am trying to lose about 15 lbs. I want to eventually be able to run a mile and feel great even it's just on a treadmill.
    I just started running until I couldn't run anymore. Then walking/resting, then running again.

I hit 6.5 miles on Thanksgiving, 5 w/ out stopping.
  • NancyDrew26
    Options
    The Couch to 5k program is very good for someone trying to get into running. Try checking it out. :]
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K. Seriously. Just google it and the program will come up.

Last March I couldn't run more than two minutes without struggling...now I'm training for a half-marathon and running sixteen miles per week. :D And it all started with the Couch to 5K.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I run and walk in intervals. 3 minutes running, one minute walking, averaging about an 11:40 minute mile for a 5K and 12:30 minute mile over a half marathon.

If you really want to be able to run a mile straight, or more, I'd also suggest the Couch to 5K program.
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Definitely try couch to 5K, its a great program that slowly builds up your running slowly. I started C25K end of november and finished it a few weeks ago. I had done no running before starting C25K, but I was reasonably fit having done the 30 day shred and lots of walking. I ran 9km yesterday, so it really works. Definitely recommend this program.
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the tips!