Moderate drinking and weight loss

Hi all,

I've been reading a bit about alcohol and weight loss, and some things I've read indicate that alcohol causes your body to convert sugars more quickly to fat, so you should STAY AWAY FROM IT while trying to lose weight. Other things I've read have said that it's just another form of liquid calories, and as long as you're drinking within moderation and counting those calories, you should be fine.

I do drink periodically, but it's usually 1-2 drinks maybe 2 nights a week (if that), and I definitely count those calories when I drink. I want to be clear that I'm talking about "a glass of wine with dinner" a couple times a week, not a Saturday night bender accompanied by a hangover on Sunday. I'm curious if anyone has cut out alcohol and seen a difference in how quickly they're losing, all other things being equal? Or have you been able to continue to drink moderately and still lose?

Replies

• TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    I drink a little over moderately ((Check the diary if you want)) and still managed to go from 140 lbs to 105 lbs.. I did change my eating habits a lot and starting working out more. I'm trying to stop drinking during the weekdays, which is easy...

Just count the calories and don't worry about it :) If you stopped it would obviously help. But you can't replace those drinks with higher calorie snacks.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Yes of course you can. Just count the calories
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    I drink a few times a week, also moderately, and I've been losing just fine. I haven't really looked closely enough to correlate weeks I don't drink vs weeks I do with weight lost that week, but there hasn't been enough of a difference for me to notice.
  • I find that the issue with alcohal is the more i drink, the more I eat. So, rule of thumb is restrict myself to 150 calories a day in alcohal and eat before I drink. Good luck!