Affects of low protein diet

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/health/research/low-protein-diets-may-be-costly-to-lean-body-mass.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimeshealth&seid=auto

Nothing ground breaking here except thinking about the consequences of a low protein diet when you are in calorific deficit. What do you think will happen? :wink:

Would be interesting to know the demographics of people used in this study as well as any exercise protocols. Also, would be much more beneficial to know g/lb of LBM or BW rather than straight %'s.

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/307/1/47.abstract

And it sounds to me like this is a study on protein intake and overeating (weight gain)?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    yes. So while overeating & not consuming enough protein, they lost LBM which is not what we want as it lowers BMR & therefore TDEE.

If the body is being underfed & not getting adequate dietary protein then it is going to use more LBM for energy which is NOT what we want.

Hence, adequate protein intake & resistance training to give you're body a reason to keep those muscles :)
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Very good post Chris, thanks for sharing :) always wondered about this
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    I was pretty sure this was a known thing for most people. Guess not, keep your body high in protein and you wont get any catabolic effects.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Ah, I am reading through the article now - you are correct.

Oh how I wish vegetables and fruit had more protein. :ohwell:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Ive been in a caloric deficit for months with about 5-20 grams of protien. Just sayin
  • chrisdavey
    Ive been in a caloric deficit for months with about 5-20 grams of protien. Just sayin

Good luck in your quest for yoyo dieting.
  • Ive been in a caloric deficit for months with about 5-20 grams of protien. Just sayin

So you are saying you probably lost more lean body mass than you should have? Protein is important and essential.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Looking at the JAMA abstract, I find it interesting that the study defined a "high" protein diet as 25% of calories from protein. The "low" protein participants were on a *very* low protein diet -

"...participants were randomized to diets containing 5% of energy from protein (low protein), 15% (normal protein), or 25% (high protein)..." (http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/307/1/47.abstract)
  • Ah, I am reading through the article now - you are correct.

Oh how I wish vegetables and fruit had more protein. :ohwell:

my thoughts exactly!!! that's why i'm a huge fan of chobani <3
  • chrisdavey
    Looking at the JAMA abstract, I find it interesting that the study defined a "high" protein diet as 25% of calories from protein. The "low" protein participants were on a *very* low protein diet -

"...participants were randomized to diets containing 5% of energy from protein (low protein), 15% (normal protein), or 25% (high protein)..." (http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/307/1/47.abstract)

agreed. It would be much more beneficial if we knew g/lb of LBM or BW rather than %'s as these obviously change with total cal intake.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member

Well I find that offensive. I cannot digest protein correctly. As a matter of fact when I consume over 20-25 grams per day I have horrible stomach pains, bloating, and Naseous feelings. I've gone from 31% body fat to 20% body fat and I lift heavy in the gym. I've had no problems gaining muscle.

Way to assume I'm "yoyo dieting" because my lifestyle doesn't coincide with yours.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member

Well I find that offensive. I cannot digest protein correctly. As a matter of fact when I consume over 20-25 grams per day I have horrible stomach pains, bloating, and Naseous feelings. I've gone from 31% body fat to 20% body fat and I lift heavy in the gym. I've had no problems gaining muscle.

Way to assume I'm "yoyo dieting" because my lifestyle doesn't coincide with yours.

You might not have gotten that kind of response if you'd mentioned your special circumstances right off the bat instead of just stating that you eat very little protein complete with a 'just sayin' at the end as if it's something should work for everyone.
  • chrisdavey

You might not have gotten that kind of response if you'd mentioned your special circumstances right off the bat instead of just stating that you eat very little protein complete with a 'just sayin' at the end as if it's something should work for everyone.

Yes that is correct. (that just sayin' term irks me a bit actually :tongue:)

I speak from my own personal experience re the yoyo dieting BTW.

Good luck anyway.