Anyone else dairy free?? ..

Options
Just wondering how you get your daily intake of calcium, I am fairly new to being Dairy free (5 weeks in) and still working stuff out.. I know the easiest way would be to take a calcium supplement but my doc wants me to stay away from that if I can...

So how do you make sure you are getting enough calcium??

If any dairy free peoples need a new friend, add me, always interest to see what you are eating!!!

Replies

• JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The recommended daily intake is somewhere near 1000. I am managing about 750 plus without dairy. I used this site to first work out what my intake was for most days.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3071/1

Then I looked for as many high calcium foods that I could add.
  • rahrah82
    rahrah82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help Jade.. will check the website out and see where I can up mine .. what kind of foods do you eat to get to 750?
  • nutrition_nerd8
    Options
    i'm dairy free, i get calcium from fortified foods and leafy greens and supplements. my issue is i can't seem to get enough protein (I eat meat but I'm in college and try to eat organic so it's not a lot of meat)
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk....and get some of my calcium from that. :)

It's low in calorie and high in health benefits.

http://www.silkpurealmond.com/why/

I haven't cut out dairy completely but with my lactose intolerance, I've been looking into limiting/decreasing them amts. :)
  • rahrah82
    Options
    i'm dairy free, i get calcium from fortified foods and leafy greens and supplements. my issue is i can't seem to get enough protein (I eat meat but I'm in college and try to eat organic so it's not a lot of meat)

Hey :o)

What kind of fortified foods do you eat? .. I have the same problem with protein, without having a protein shake or bar I usually don't have enough.. someone told me you can get dairy free protein powder though.. might be worth looking in to?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm cow dairy free, but I can have goat milk products. I do take a food based calcium supplement, and it's not derived from any dairy at all. I have to take it later in the day because I'm on Levothyroxine for thyroid, but this stuff is great. Look for food based calcium at the health food store.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    We are dairy free. I drink almond milk. My calcium is always over 200%.
  • rahrah82
    Options
    I drink almond milk....and get some of my calcium from that. :)

It's low in calorie and high in health benefits.

http://www.silkpurealmond.com/why/

I haven't cut out dairy completely but with my lactose intolerance, I've been looking into limiting/decreasing them amts. :)

I drink soy.. but that doesn't give me enough.. maybe I should think about switching.. My doc started me on a lactose free diet to start with but i was still feeling blahh having lactose free products so went dairy free a month ago and feel great :o)
  • rahrah82
    Options
    I'm cow dairy free, but I can have goat milk products. I do take a food based calcium supplement, and it's not derived from any dairy at all. I have to take it later in the day because I'm on Levothyroxine for thyroid, but this stuff is great. Look for food based calcium at the health food store.

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into tomorrow :o)
  • rahrah82
    Options
    We are dairy free. I drink almond milk. My calcium is always over 200%.
    [/quote

just from almond milk??
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Nuts and seeds?
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has less calories per cup than normal milk and same calcium so its super easy to drink a lot and get enough calcium.
  • Diyan
    Diyan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was completely dairy free for a year while I nursed my first son. I used mostly rice milk to supplement what I got from vegetables. Now I mostly drink almond milk. But the calcium in almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, etc are from the same source as many calcium supplement pills - do you know why your doc wants you to avoid them?

Do you use the food diary? You can set it to show how much calcium you're getting per day.
  • rahrah82
    Options
    I was completely dairy free for a year while I nursed my first son. I used mostly rice milk to supplement what I got from vegetables. Now I mostly drink almond milk. But the calcium in almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, etc are from the same source as many calcium supplement pills - do you know why your doc wants you to avoid them?

Do you use the food diary? You can set it to show how much calcium you're getting per day.

I changed my diary so I can tell how much calcium I am getting in a day.. My doc wants me to stay away for some stomach issues.. I'm working on it, still low though