Know anything about cameras?

Options
Alexstrasza
Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
I want to buy a nice digital camera. I want one that takes very crisp and smooth pictures. Like *almost* professionally smooth. It doesn't need to have a bunch of fancy settings, it's just for family use.

Right now I have a nikon coolpix or something. It's red and a more common one I think. It just doesn't take very good pictures at all and stalls a lot.

Know of any good ones for around $0-150?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the prices are like the US, but the Fuijfilm Finepix range are worth a look. Good crossover cameras with some of the features of an SLR, but still usable as a point and shoot.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the prices are like the US, but the Fuijfilm Finepix range are worth a look. Good crossover cameras with some of the features of an SLR, but still usable as a point and shoot.

I was looking at a fujifilm finepix on ebay, wasn't sure if it was worth it, but I think it is. I looked up some reviews and they had all good things to say.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    There is a ton that goes into photography. You really need to expand on what you are taking. If you want that almost professional look, you to raise your budget to around $500-1500

You cant go on just optics alone.

If you want a basic digital and something simple for point an click (1 picture at a time - stills with decent lighting) Sony or Canon.
  • Etiqueta
    Etiqueta Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had a Fujifilm Finepix before I bought my Canon Rebel T3 and it was a nice camera.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I had a Fujifilm Finepix before I bought my Canon Rebel T3 and it was a nice camera.

I'm still using a Finepix S2000. Perfect for my needs - a little outdated as mine is 10mp, but perfectly servicable.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, all the the highest end cameras & DSLRs will have a delay between the shutter button press & the actual shutter moving.

JM
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Please do not buy a Fugi camera. Stick to Canon. Wait for a sale. Its worth it.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sony Cybershots are very nice.
    I've had two (lost the first one), I also have a Sony A55 DSLR for my more Pro pics
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I shoot my "pro" stuff (local bands, portraits etc) with a Canon Rebel T1i, but for quickie stuff like nights out with friends I have a Panasonic Lumix, easy to use and it was in the $150 range. My old "point and shoot" was a Canon G11 and it was AMAZING...but it was stolen...darn, I miss that camera. It wasn't cheap though--it was $450 back in 2008. The Canon Digital Elph series is also pretty awesome as far as point and shoots go.
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have a Sony A350 and I paid $800 for it. For a more simple camera I like Kodak cameras. Try to find one with 12-15 Mega Pixels and a steady shot feature. It will give you clearer pictures.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Please do not buy a Fugi camera. Stick to Canon. Wait for a sale. Its worth it.

I'll add Nikon (higher end stuff) and Pentax here too. It's worth a few more dollars for a higher end camera on sale. What's your budget?

I have bought lightly used from a company in Atlanta. They stand behind their product (I had a problem with a lens, and they sent another without question and I returned the original one back in the box the replacement came in) 100%. At least take a look, you can save a couple hundred off new retail by buying slightly used. My D90 came from them and it has no problems.

www.KEH.com

JM
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    if it says nikon, canon, or sony, it's decent for the price.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you want super smooth professional-looking photos you need to multiply your budget by about 10 and spend some time taking photography courses and practicing. Cameras don't work exactly like your eyes and the automatic settings are often wrong (especially in indoor light). You have to learn the limitations and how to work around them. I've seen beautiful iPhone photos and terrible DSLR photos. The difference was the photographer.

Forget about specs. You're not gaining anything with high megapixels on a small sensor. You have to trade image quality and distortion for long zooms. Read online reviews and look carefully at sample pictures from reviewers and people on sites like flickr. Check to see which ones are quick and have good battery life.

I like the Canon point and shoots under $200 but it's not your only choice.