very slow weight loss... please help

Options

Replies

• mama_beth
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked.
  • Whimpy10
    Options
    I have been reading all the little threads and they have been very encouraging
  • liz2512
    liz2512 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    fruits have a lot of sugar in them, maybe try more vegetables and less fruit
  • wanderingpollock
    Options
    I'm seeing a couple things in this post. First, you said that you COMPLETELY changed your diet. I could never eat what you are eating in a day. It would totally freak my body out. Plus, I wonder how probable it is that you can stick to that way of eating? It could probably a mind/body thing. If you've completely changed your lifestyle your body may be having a hard time adjusting to such a dramatic change. Second, you said that you are doing upwards of 45 mins of cardio followed by weight training. It sounds like you have completely gone gung ho, which is great, but there again your body is trying to adjust to this dramatic change. The first thing it is going to do is hold on to all of its resources. You might try doing a cleanse. Even a simple lemon water cleanse may help or a full on colon cleanse. I would also pay close attention to your protein/carb/fat amounts. If you notice an imbalance you might try to equalize it. Also, you might back off a little bit on the weight training, and start eating some of your "old" foods. I know it sounds crazy, but your body just may be in a state of shock from so many changes at once. Whatever you do, don't give up. It will happen.
  • wanderingpollock
    Options
    Wow, really. I'm 5'10 and would be a twig at 175lbs. But do remember that if you are weight training it will add weight to you.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I know from my own previous attempts at weight loss that when I go from being inactive & eating poorly to exercising every day & eating at my goal, I don't lose. Or I do but very, very slowly. So slowly that I get discouraged & frustrated & go right back to my bad habits. This time around, I started dieting to get that part under control before I incorporated exercise. I was going to wait until 30 lbs lost through diet before adding exercise, but I hit a plateau at 25lbs. Then I ended up gaining back 2 pounds, which doesn't sound like a lot but it felt like the end of my world. That's when I brought exercise in. I've only been at it for a week so far, but I've lost what I gained back plus some.

My advice is to learn your body & what works for you. Calorie fluctuation & having some days higher in protein or carbs than others, having rest days from the gym...those are things that I thought sounded like advice that was going to slow down my progress & keep me fat, but they're working.

Good luck!
  • tb_lawkid13
    tb_lawkid13 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I suggest that you go to the doctor and make sure you don't have any thyroid problems, or any precursors for heart disease or diabetes. That could affect how your body uses calories and how you burn. Also, if you have high muscle mass already, its harder for you to loss the fat. I had a trainer that told me once that its harder to get your body into "weight loss mode" because your body starts out in "conditioning" mode. Just like folks that lose a lot of weight then plateau. Its harder to lose.
    But, to co-sign with pretty much this whole thread....DON'T GIVE UP!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Have some of your friends check out your food diary. "Tons of fruit" can mean too much sugar.

How's your sodium?
  • cking99rn
    Options
    i think you cut the easy carbs out... (rice, yogurt) substitute with....vegatables...ease up on the muscle building becasue muscle weighs more than fat...so you may not lose although you would be shrinking....how long have you been dieting?

Nurse CAROL
  • dawnmcgee
    Options
    I would suggest cutting your calories back,sounds like you are taking in enough calories to maintain.Just a suggestion and mayby beef up the cardio a bit:)
  • carmenpincott
    carmenpincott Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Don't give up. You didn't gain it overnight either.

BINGO!

Yeah - it creeps on us slowly, but somehow we want it gone quickly!
  • ktossas
    Options
    in case this might be helpful: if you have an opportunity to workout in the mornings, try to do your cardio then (maybe eat a banana or something smaller to hold you through the workout). that way, your body would've burned all the carbs overnight and when you do your cardio in the morning, you'll be sourcing straight from fat calories. If you workout in the evenings or after a meal, do a short warmup and do weights first. This anaerobic workout will source the calories from the carbohydrates you just ate and by the time you do your cardio, you'll be burning fat calories. I have also struggled with super slow weight loss, particularly because similar to you, I am in a health BMI range and after two kids and nearly 40, well, is not as easy. One thing that really made the weight come off for me was to decrease (remove if you can) the dairy intake. Dairy is generally bloating. Also, as we get older many of us become mildly lactose intolerant which means your body has an immune (swelling, or fluid retaining) response to it that does not necessarily make you sick. Try to incorporate the whole lean protein, lower carbs deal. Have you explored mild food allergies? That also makes us hold on to weight.

Meanwhile, hang in there. As someone else said, you didn't gain it overnight. You said you're doing this for health reasons and health is not a seasonal goal, right?

together in health!
  • StephanieWhite17
    Options
    I increased my protein but I also switched to organic whey and I also cut out all processed foods and anything with artificial ingredients. I also increased foods high in anti-oxidants and go organic when I can. It seems to be working for me. I'm not sure if you have gone this far yet but as I'm sure you know if your body can't break it down it will inhibit weight-loss. Sounds to me like you are making healthy choices though!
  • TeneshiaS
    Options
    i'n in the same boat. Ive been on here for 30 days now and have only lost 9lbs. i'm at 1200 calories a week. and i walk 5 days a week. I weight my self every sunday and the scale is saying i'm only loosing .2 i'm freaking frustrated. I wonder am i eating too little calories do i need to up it WHAT?
  • teachmond
    Options
    Don't give up :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    i'n in the same boat. Ive been on here for 30 days now and have only lost 9lbs. i'm at 1200 calories a week. and i walk 5 days a week. I weight my self every sunday and the scale is saying i'm only loosing .2 i'm freaking frustrated. I wonder am i eating too little calories do i need to up it WHAT?

9 pounds in only 30 days? thats awesome

you people are killing me. that is a great loss for 30 days!

what the hell? did you gain it that fast? HELL NO YOU DIDNT!

keep going...as you lose weight the loss rate slows down...we are a complex body...it takes time to adjust to the new better fuel
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Some of the posts I am just seeing are crazy. With all due respect, weight loss has nothing to do with, carbs, sugars, or anything else for that matter. What matters is calories consumed.

Yes, calories matter, but then you go on to suggest a totally free day where you pretty much eat whatever you want. For some people that might work. For others, it's the beginning of the end.

And, calories matter, as do the quality of the calories. If you track your food, it is possible to notice that you are out of balance, eating too much sugar, or too much protein or too many carbs. Personally, I don't see the point of fad diets, but if someone says they're eating a lot of fruit, what does that mean? It IS possible to eat too much sugar. Or too much of something else. If you eat too much fiber after eating a low fiber diet, you might not feel very good. Or too much sodium can make you retain water, making you feel uncomfortable and discouraging you in your weight loss goals.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. You are not eating nearly enough. You are netting less than 1000 calories on most days and you are working out a lot.

You need to eat your exercise calories back.

If you have your MFP goal set at a loss of 2lbs, you need to change that too. Especially if you are already at a normal BMI.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    May I ask how many calories are you eating a day. It sounds like you are exercising a lot. Are you eating back your exercise calories? I dont know what your diary looks like but based on what you said it doesn't sound like a lot of calories. When I first started I didn't realize that I had to eat back my exercise. On many days I was below 1200 calories. Once I adjust to eat back my exercise calories, I started to loose. Good luck!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of great advice here! But more than anything else, you need to find what works for you. For instance, I have to eat a high protein diet. I eat lots of high quality, low fat protein (doctor wants me getting 100-125g a day). Everything else is low calorie and low carbohydrate. It's what works for me. Protein shakes, salads, chicken-turkey-pork are my friends. But this won't work for everyone!
    Some people take longer than others to lose weight. I can lose pretty quickly until I hit a "healthy BMI" and then I struggle with every ounce beyond that. And wow, I can put it back on way faster! This last creep upwards was the longest one, but I have put on 30 pounds in a few weeks. It sucks! I do suffer from hypothyroidism, but I was able to lose weight best before I started getting treatment for it!
    Keep at it! You will get there!