I don't eat enough protein

Options
I don't eat enough protein. No where near enough actually. What are some good places to get protein from? Thanks yal

Replies

• mrsbrightside4
    Options
    Beans and eggs are good protein foods. After working out, I drink a protein drink that has 25g.
  • janeeley68
    janeeley68 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Meats, nuts, or beans are really good sources.
  • AngelJordan
    AngelJordan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am not really a fan of meat, will eat fish though (tinned stuff) for most lunches. Sometimes i have almonds also. Am thinking i might have to have a protein shake to boost it. Today i only got 40 protein! Can you buy protein shakes from supermarket?
  • bjfrezell
    Options
    Greek yogurt is good for protein. Milk and eggs also have a decent amount of protein.
  • BigDaddy822
    Options
    I only use BSN products but before I did I used a protein supplement called Body Fortress. They sell it at krogers and Walmart. Its only like 15 bucs for 2 pounds of protein. I worked really well for me.
  • jpfrimmer
    Options
    meat
    eggs
    milk
    nuts
    peanut butter
    beans
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    if you need other supplements there's always protein shakes or bars
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    You can get whey protein shakes at almost any grocery or drug store. Tuna is a great source, also milk, eggs, cheese, greek yogurt, nuts, any kinds of seafood. Good luck to you. Oh, and my personal opinion is that Unjury protein tastes the best.
  • larke15
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so I had this problem to, but I really started to pay attention to what foods were higher in protein. I eat egg whites, vegetarian sausage link, rice, black beans, veg. hot dogs, veg. baked beans and other meatless vegetarian products (I prefer Morningstar Brand)
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have had the same question... how to get more protein... so I searched the boards & came up with many lists of
    food, which I now have in a note-pad document, that I can view easily when I am wondering what I can do for a little more protein in my diet today. Here's my list:

high protein ideas:
    cottage cheese, greek yogurt, turkey burger, turkey bacon, eggs and almonds
    chicken breasts, whey protein powder, Eggs and egg whites, hard boiled eggs, egg salad
    healthy meatloaf? Use extra lean ground turkey, beef or pork, seasonings, onions, celery,

2% Cottage Cheese is probably the best non-meat natural food (90 cal for 13-15g of protein)
    Cottage cheese is cheap and loaded with protein. I scoop a cup of 1% cottage cheese, with tsp of vanilla flavoring, packet of slpenda, tsp of cinnamon, and almonds
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I only use BSN products but before I did I used a protein supplement called Body Fortress. They sell it at krogers and Walmart. Its only like 15 bucs for 2 pounds of protein. I worked really well for me.

I use the Body Fortress whey protein. I love it. I also like the Jillian Michaels protein powder...I use the chocolate. It doesn't have as much protein as the body fortress does BUT is fewer cals. You can also get the pre-mixed drinks usually in a 4 pack....I like the myoplex vanilla....I pour it over my oatmeal instead of milk.

If you are not much of a "meat" person you should probably do protein powder. Beans and other stuff have protein but you would have to eat sooo much to come close to meeting your goals, yes they have protein but not as much as your meatsand nuts do.
    Greek yogurt is great too..if you don't like greek ygurt make yourself learn to like it.....add dark chocolate chips to it and go for the ones with fruit in the bottom to get started. It IS very much like eating sour cream but after a while I actually prefer it now to other yogurt.
  • Scottnichola
    Options
    Meat. Greek yogurts ... some have 50% of protein for the day... Quinoa ... you can find it at more whole food stores. Highest of any plant source protein. You sound like your eating a lot of carbs and maxing out your calories?
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I use the Body Fortress whey protein. I love it. I also like the Jillian Michaels protein powder...I use the chocolate. It doesn't have as much protein as the body fortress does BUT is fewer cals. You can also get the pre-mixed drinks usually in a 4 pack....I like the myoplex vanilla....I pour it over my oatmeal instead of milk.

If you are not much of a "meat" person you should probably do protein powder. Beans and other stuff have protein but you would have to eat sooo much to come close to meeting your goals, yes they have protein but not as much as your meatsand nuts do.
    Greek yogurt is great too..if you don't like greek ygurt make yourself learn to like it.....add dark chocolate chips to it and go for the ones with fruit in the bottom to get started. It IS very much like eating sour cream but after a while I actually prefer it now to other yogurt.

To help the Greek yogurt I add 2 Tbsp of granola to it. Adding a little crunch helped me get past the thicker texture. I bought a bunch on sale and then my kids wouldn't eat it. It did have fruit in the bottom as well.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    lentils!
  • Scottnichola
    Options
    The "body builder " protein is great mixed in with oatmeal in the morning. You get good protein and complex carbs and fiber.... it is one of the best hunger fighters I have found... it keeps me satisfied a long time in the morning.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    lean meat, egg whites, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, beans, quinoa, milk
  • CSummers316
    Options
    I have recently added a small muscle milk to my diet on workout days. Helps boost up my protein but I am even having trouble boosting it. Might have to make sure I have more eggs on hand looking at some of these replies.
  • AngelJordan
    AngelJordan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Meat. Greek yogurts ... some have 50% of protein for the day... Quinoa ... you can find it at more whole food stores. Highest of any plant source protein. You sound like your eating a lot of carbs and maxing out your calories?

No i have to push to even meet my calories most the time. I am not too fussed on carbs, they are often under but i am way under on protein, which i understand is better for the muscles etc ?

Thanks for all the great tips everyone!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt every day, and drink a protein shake most mornings. I also consume eggs, nut butters, raw nuts, almond milk, tofu, beans, and lentils. Usually I'm just shy of my protein goal. The days I eat a piece of salmon or half a can of tuna my protein levels are through the roof, so it balances out.
  • jhunt90
    Options
    Turkey and almonds are my big one- mostly almonds because I can take them with me wherever and they're a good snack and low on the GI :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have had the same question... how to get more protein... so I searched the boards & came up with many lists of
    food, which I now have in a note-pad document, that I can view easily when I am wondering what I can do for a little more protein in my diet today. Here's my list:

high protein ideas:
    cottage cheese, greek yogurt, turkey burger, turkey bacon, eggs and almonds
    chicken breasts, whey protein powder, Eggs and egg whites, hard boiled eggs, egg salad
    healthy meatloaf? Use extra lean ground turkey, beef or pork, seasonings, onions, celery,

2% Cottage Cheese is probably the best non-meat natural food (90 cal for 13-15g of protein)
    Cottage cheese is cheap and loaded with protein. I scoop a cup of 1% cottage cheese, with tsp of vanilla flavoring, packet of slpenda, tsp of cinnamon, and almonds

If you're watching sodium though - beware of cottage cheese! 1 Cup has almost half your daily sodium.

Greek yogurt is actually one of the best nonmeat choices --- but only if you're buying the right kind.
    If your greek yogurt has more sugar than protein, its the wrong one. Look for something like Fage 0% or Chobani 0%.
    They are both closer to 20g a cup. Also protein shakes are a great source of protein -- I drink 2-3 a day and love them.