Too much protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• snowchj
    snowchj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Since it's pretty much a waste to consume more than 30g protein at any one sitting, that makes it even harder to have too much. If you're downing protein shakes with 60g protein in them, thats just a waste.

Not true, protein get broken down to aminos which can consume more then 30g, then left overs get pumped around til it eventually turns to urea, then excreted but it's a long long process. The 30g is a myth. It all depends on your body's stores and how much it needs to be filled. IF you are actively working out that will be much higher then if you are sedentary.
    \

I beg to differ and there is plenty of research on the topic.

Wow there is a lot of misinformation in this thread. The 30g of protein per meal rule is a myth. Here is a well-sourced article on the topic.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

Bottom line: there is no practical limit to protein consumption in a single meal.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Since it's pretty much a waste to consume more than 30g protein at any one sitting, that makes it even harder to have too much. If you're downing protein shakes with 60g protein in them, thats just a waste.

Not true, protein get broken down to aminos which can consume more then 30g, then left overs get pumped around til it eventually turns to urea, then excreted but it's a long long process. The 30g is a myth. It all depends on your body's stores and how much it needs to be filled. IF you are actively working out that will be much higher then if you are sedentary.
    \

Are you really trying to argue that protein turns into Amino Acids? *Shakes head* Yeah one of us has research on their side ;-)
  • sbiddles
    sbiddles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting about this. I am over on my protein everyday and it was starting to worry me. Tomorrow is my first weigh in. I've been at this for one week now. Wish me luck!
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    I know that too much protein can be bad for you, but what constitutes "too much"? Right now I am 5g over with Breakfast and Lunch and I was thinking of drinking a protein drink later this afternoon that has 18g of protein. Does anyone know a good answer for this?

You're getting bombarded with a lot of "information". You are asking about going over on protein by 5g here, and 18g there. That's nothing. You don't need to worry about it one bit! :) Athletes who are concerned about muscle mass typically eat a minimum of 1g of protein for every pound of body weight. I weigh 210lbs thus I try to consume about 210g of protein daily.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

\

Are you really trying to argue that protein turns into Amino Acids? *Shakes head* Yeah one of us has research on their side ;-)

YAWN. Sorry but some link on a website called "wannabebig" doesn't make me want to read it. That's not why I drink protein shakes... I drink them for nutrition.

Here you go..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/352713-limit-protein-to-20g-per-meal?hl=over+30g+protein#posts-4766706
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Wow, there is a lot of stuff here... the MFP article linked above I'd trust. They used clinical research papers to back up what is said. Scientifically sound. Honestly, 30g of protein at a sitting is all one can digest. This is an anatomy/physiology thing. The rest gets passed through your system as waste. While protein does get broken down into amino acids, it's a rather slow process, in the greater scheme of things. While the max amount each person can have varies somewhat, it's not huge, maybe a gram or two. But other than how much you can have per sitting is discussed, how much you can have over the course of a day depends on your specific needs, how many calories you can have, how much exercise you do and so on. 40-30-30 works for some, others more protein, others less.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet for medical reasons. the MFP protein goals are way too low, even for their so-called low-carb diet.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass is a good goal to shoot fo,r especially while losing weight, to maintain muscle.

It's too many calories that get turned into fat, not just excess protein. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you won't gain fat, not from protein, fat or carbs.
  • snowchj
    snowchj Posts: 45 Member
    Options

\

YAWN. Sorry but some link on a website called "wannabebig" doesn't make me want to read it. That's not why I drink protein shakes... I drink them for nutrition.

Here you go..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/352713-limit-protein-to-20g-per-meal?hl=over+30g+protein#posts-4766706

Can I assume this means we're ignoring both the article and the 12 different scholarly citations associated with it? I mean that wouldn't be my first recommendation, but you have apparently lost a hundred pounds, so you must be doing something right.

In the meantime, since we're judging information by its domain name, we should recognize that the board topic you've linked to is the work of John Berardi, who is perhaps best known as a regular contributor to Testosterone Nation (www.t-nation.com). Here's a picture of him...

http://www.kevinneeld.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Hockey-Nutrition-John-Berardi.jpg

Pretty ripped dude. I wonder if he "wants to be big?"

Berardi is a respected writer to be sure, but one of many. His work turned heads because, as far as consensus goes, most agree that there is no maximum effective protein intake during a single sitting. I'd also like to add my voice to the chorus of posters recommending one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

If all this still isn't enough, please navigate here for more information...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

\

Here you go..

Can I assume this means we're ignoring both the article and the 12 different scholarly citations associated with it? I mean that wouldn't be my first recommendation, but you have apparently lost a hundred pounds, so you must be doing something right.

In the meantime, since we're judging information by its domain name, we should recognize that the board topic you've linked to is the work of John Berardi, who is perhaps best known as a regular contributor to Testosterone Nation (www.t-nation.com). Here's a picture of him...

http://www.kevinneeld.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Hockey-Nutrition-John-Berardi.jpg

Pretty ripped dude. I wonder if he "wants to be big?"

Berardi is a respected writer to be sure, but one of many. His work turned heads because, as far as consensus goes, most agree that there is no maximum effective protein intake during a single sitting. I'd also like to add my voice to the chorus of posters recommending one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

If all this still isn't enough, please navigate here for more information...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

I agree, I mean those bodybuilding sites wouldn't have a clue about protein and it's uses. Especially all the scholarly articles on those sites. It's going to be a contested topic no matter what, it still comes down to what you are doing and how active you are. There is no way to set a set number on how many grams of one thing someone can take. It's completely an idiotic statement to make. No body, training, muscle mass, and more is the same. The fact anyone tries to label a set number everyone can digest shows a complete lack of understanding of the human body.