Help with Cream sauce recipes

Options
Hey, does anyone have any healthy cream sauce recipes for pastas and stuff like that? Or know where to find some?

Replies

• CVAB
    CVAB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Maybe heat up a light cream cheese, thinned out with some skim milk.
    That's how I made white sauces when I didn't have a lot of time.
  • chauser1022
    Options
    Replace the cream with vegetable stock and silken tofu.
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I replace the cream with fat free half and half.....works great in every recipe i've substituted it in. Also i add a few tbs of it to mashed potatoes,grits,pan sauces,etc. which makes them creamier and fluffier. Cooking light magazine website has a great alfredo sauce recipe also
  • angelicazaldivar
    angelicazaldivar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I make homemade alfredo sauce with fat free evaporated milk, corn starch, fresh parm and fresh romano, parsley, nutmeg, & black pepper. its really easy:

1 1/2 cup evap milk
    1 T corn starch
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    3/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    3/4 c freshly grated romano cheese
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 T dried parsley
    1 pinch ground nutmeg
    salt/pepper to taste

Directions
    1. Mix evap milk and corn starch in a medium sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly; simmer for 5 minutes, then add garlic and cheese and whisk quickly, heating through. Stir in parsley, nutmeg, salt & pepper and serve.

** i personally adapted this recipe from its original: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/alfredo-sauce-2/detail.aspx
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I had chicken with a cream sauce for dinner last night actually. Used in smallish doses, you can still cook with cream but not destroy your calorie count.

The recipe I made last night was a mustard cream sauce. It consisted of wholegrain mustard, extra light cream, white wine and garlic. I don't have the quantities ratios with me, but if you want to give it a try just ping me a message and I'll give you the recipe.

BTW, a generous serve of three chicken tenderloins and the sauce still only comes out at less than 350 calories. :)
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I appreciate it!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've seen charts with how to substitute cream & cream type things with greek yogurt - maybe try googling it?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've tried the evaporated milk option and decided that it's just not the same and that I'd rather have real cream.
    I was going to buy that "cooking cream" from Philadelphia but reading the label put me off - there's barely any real food in there!

I buy pure cream (with no thickers or gelatine or starches, read the label, light cream is full of this stuff!) and just use less of it. I tend to cut the cream to about 1/4 and the recipe is still good. If it needs more liquid I'll add stock or wine or pasta cooking water.

More often though, I make pasta with tomato based or veggie sauces, and keep the creamy sauces as an occasional thing.