Share with me your experiences with HIIT, interval training.

After struggling now for around a month trying to figure out what got me fit in the first place, I'm going to add 35 minutes (total) of 2:1 ratio interval training. I'll still do my weights, but I won't spend 45 minutes in the weight room everyday.I'll reduce it to 30 minutes.

Anywho, I've been doing a lot of reading about high intensity interval training. From what I've read from studies, it takes a woman about three months, 3 times a week with an hour of HIIT to loose a signification amount of body fat and gain lean muscle mass.

Hummmm......I don't have an hour to do just that. Chances are I would get bored with that. Is 35 minutes 5 days a week good enough for ramping up my metabolism and get in better cardio health? I want to say that I can out run any 25 year old again come May.

So what has your experience been? Are you exhausted afterwards? Or later in the day? Do the result seem pretty fast? I think fast is when it's starting to show in about a month or so.

Anyone want to tell me anything?

Replies

• My current workout is HIIT related. I do a running/walking workout for 25-30 mins and then a bicycling for 20 mins. I like to swtich from running to bike because I get bored easily. I started off slow and have been able to work my way faster and faster. It's been a great experience. I haven't really been exhausted afterwards or later in the day. In fact sometimes when I do it in the morning I feel more awake and ready for the day. As far as results go I've lost 12 pounds in a month. I think you'll see good results if you keep pushing yourself, changing things up and not getting stuck at one setting. For example I started off running at 9.0 for 30 seconds and walking for two mins and repeating that 5 times. I have worked my way to running at 9.5 for 35 seconds and walking for a 1.5 mins.
  • oh and yes your 35 mins 5 days a week should be good enough for ramping up your metabolism. Most of the research that I have done says that 20-30 mins of HIIT is good enough to see results. In fact that's one of the pros of HIIT is that it can be a short work out but you get the same benefits if not more than a steady state cardio session.
  • I do pilates and lift weights, but I also do HIIT on my elliptical. I change it up so I don't get bored, alternating three different routines. One day I'll do 18 minutes with a 4 minute warm up and cool down, and 10 minutes of HIIT, 40 seconds easy and 20 seconds hard. Another day I'll do Tabata, which is where I do a 4 minute warm up and cool down, and 4 minutes of 20 seconds hard and 10 seconds easy(this kicks my butt). Then I'll do a routine where I do a 4 minute warm up and cooldown, and 10 minutes of intervals, with 1 minute being easy and 1 minute being hard, though I do not go as hard as if it were only 20 seconds. I never do more than 18 minutes on the machine, but I have seen great improvement in my body and endurance.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    i started doing hiit about a month ago, and i noticed results right away. i have more energy overall, and though i'm hungrier, i'm more easily satiated and i feel i can do less cardio to maintain my weight. i do about 30 minutes of hiit 3 times a week on the elliptical. 5 minute warm up, then a series of 4 hills and valleys, repeated 3 times, for 2 minutes each. i'm not much for running so i haven't tried it on the treadmill.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Thanks a million times over, people!

As I am a member or a health club, I'll be able to use several types of cardio equipment to keep me from getting bored. Although I slide off the thing and my bum hurts when I use it, I'll start with the bike. I've been kinda power peddling for the last week or so anyway. When I gained roughly 20 pounds over the holiday season in 2009, this darn bike jump started things for me to get back on the tread mill and run.

Thanks for mentioning the elliptical. For some reason, use that those things elude me, which gives segway to the stair master. Another thing I don't normally use. I'm a bit primitive; bike/threadmill.

How often do you change equipment? When you get bored or is it planned? Does that sort of thing matter?

Thanks so much for your input.
  • They say that you should change your workout program up like every month or two to keep your body guessing but I think if you like an exercise why not stay with it. At least for me I would rather do something that I liked doing and would do it more often than something that I didn't like doing. And when you're trying to lose weight it's really about sticking with something. So if you really like an exercise stay with it, just every week or 2 push yourself a little more. If one week you are biking at 17mph for a min and then 15 for 2 mins switch it to biking at 20 mph for a min and then 18 mph once you feel comfortable. You'll be amazed how quickly your body can adapt to your fitness routine. One week it may seem hard but the next it might come easy to you. Plus the harder you go the more calories you'll eventually burn
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    HIIT training is the only training that never leaves me bored. 45 minutes on a cardio machine doing the same speed? I'd rather gnaw off my left leg and escape!

HIIT was one of the biggest things I missed when I became too ill to workout. The variety, the challenge- it's amazing. I also love that I can combine so many different types of exercises- or just stick to the same treadmill if I don't feel like wiping down tons of equipment that day. It's just about- for me- the challenge of slow, med, fast, slow, fast, cooldown- how fast can I go VS how long can I stand upright on this machine without losing my mind.

The weight loss I gained from it was impressive as well- I was working on strength first and figured weight loss would follow if needed (and it did) so I enjoyed the challenge the most, I'd say. I hope you like it as much as I do- it really did open up my training to a whole new world.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Thank you so much for your help. I did this this morning. Not a full capacity, but I felt great afterwards. :flowerforyou: