Options
    well i love plain oatmeal with a packet of splenda
    or
    i love love cinnamon and raisin
    or
    strawberries
    or
    low cal maple brown sugar

i saw somewhere on here someone puts a lil butter and fancy cheese i want to try it just am nervous lol
    it is so versatile def not like paper lol what brand or what did you do ???
  • telsen1
    Options
    Have you ever made the Baked Amish Oatmeal, just google it , its wonderful. you can add applesauce for the sugar replcement and replce almost anything with a healty substitute. I bakethem in cupcake form and bring them tto work with me. I add raisens and other dried fruit. There are so many variations.
  • buckobuckobucko
    Options
    Maple and Brown Sugar with Bananas on top is awesome.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I buy the instant prepackaged servings, maple & brown sugar. I just bought a new package apples & cinnamon, low sugar. 110 calories a packet. I usually eat the oatmeal without milk.
  • GoinOrganic
    GoinOrganic Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    what does everyone put in their oatmeal so it doesnt taste like wall paper paste?!

My favorite oatmeal is longer cooking or oat groats, with cinnamon, 1/4 cup chopped raisins cooked in with the oats so it sweetens it, and 1oz of diced almonds on top. I find this will hold me until lunch with no cravings for snacks...
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i am making the old fashioned oats. no flavor at all

If it tastes like wallpaper paste, you don't know how to make it.
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. i am gonnt try pb2 tomorrow morning.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    huh? You don't like the taste of wallpaper paste???? *weird* teehee

I usually add 1/8 cup crasins.

Banana and walnut is good too, if you have lots of extra calories.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    Just finished a bowl with a tbsp of honey and 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    what does everyone put in their oatmeal so it doesnt taste like wall paper paste?!

First, try making steel cut oats rather than rolled. They're less processed, so they have more tooth and a nuttier taste.

Second, I usually stick with brown sugar. Honey and cinnamon are good. So are almonds or walnuts.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I microwave 1/4 cup of frozen (homegrown) strawberries for 1 minute, mash them, add 1/3 cup uncooked quick cooking oats, 2/3 cup water, a little splenda and microwave for 1 min. 30 secs. I loveeee it!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Also, have you tried steel cut oats? They are a lot better than plain oats. I make up a large batch that I eat on all week. I chop up an apple, add the oats and then microwave for a minute-2. Or I use frozen blueberries and do the same. I sweet with xylitol, as it may help with gum disease, which I have early signs of.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I agree, I only eat steel cut oats now-splash of milk and tsp of brown sugar. Yum.
  • ajb108
    Options
    cinnamon, peanut butter, raisins, cocoa powder. Alone or all together, it tastes great. Or if you want it more savory, an egg, scrambled, with a bit of black pepper.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. i am gonnt try pb2 tomorrow morning.

PB2 and maple syrup - Yum!

If you have steel cut oats - you could toast them a bit to bring out a nuttier flavor. I use Coaches "instant" steel cut - these are already toasted.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I like to add PB2 (powdered peanut butter) with chocolate. It's like 45 calories for 2 tbsp and adds protein as well.
  • awoodwaring
    awoodwaring Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I only like groats, now (unprocessed oats). DS used to gag on regular oatmeal.

I make them in a rice cooker and have them programmed to be ready in the morning. We like ours with a little butter, cinnamon and brown sugar (a tsp is plenty).
  • marisa_munches
    Options
    My two favorites are 1 Tbsp of almond butter and some kind of fresh fruit -or- fresh pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and a touch of real maple syrup.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I make my porridge (oatmeal) in the microwave using rolled oats and water, then add skim milk powder, peanut butter and fruit - usually either chopped apple or banana. Cinnamon sprinkled on top is great too.
  • loraeschafer
    Options
    When making old fashioned oats, I love chopping up bananas, blueberries, strawberries, and/or raspberries. A little teaspoon of vanilla extract and dash of cinnamon are essential!

If I'm in a rush, however, I like buying the Apples & Cinnamon flavored Trader Joe's Instant Oatmeal. Add water and microwave it. It has a nice flavor and tastes great without even adding anything! Highly recommend. Only 130 calories a packet.