?gastric bypass?

Options
Hi, I'm Becky from New Hampshire. MFP has been recommended to me by my nutritionist. I am on a weight loss journey that starts with my initial goal of 18lbs weight loss before Gastric bypass surgery scheduled for the end of April. Trying to get organized and create a support system. Is anyone else out there on the path to GBS or been there?
This looks like a great site, we'll see how it works!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    Is there are point in losing weight if you're about to get the surgery anyway? I mean you'll lose plenty of weight afterward, and if you can lose 18 lbs before then it kind of makes one wonder why you are getting the surgery.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Is there are point in losing weight if you're about to get the surgery anyway? I mean you'll lose plenty of weight afterward, and if you can lose 18 lbs before then it kind of makes one wonder why you are getting the surgery.

Bariatric surgeons often require patients to follow a restrictive diet before gastric bypass surgery to help them lose weight. When the surgeon performs the procedure laparoscopically, a minimally invasive approach through small abdominal incisions using a tiny videocamera and special instruments, preoperative weight loss shrinks the liver and permits easier access to the operative site. Losing just 15 pounds reduces the time spent in the operating room as well as the time needed to recover. A review of the records of 881 gastric bypass patients at a large bariatric who underwent a six-month preoperative program between 2002 and 2006 revealed that those who lost at least 10 percent of their excess body weight experienced fewer complications than those who lost less weight preoperatively, according to a December 2009 article published in "Archives of Surgery."
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Becky from New Hampshire. MFP has been recommended to me by my nutritionist. I am on a weight loss journey that starts with my initial goal of 18lbs weight loss before Gastric bypass surgery scheduled for the end of April. Trying to get organized and create a support system. Is anyone else out there on the path to GBS or been there?
    This looks like a great site, we'll see how it works!
    :flowerforyou:

Hi Becky...MFP is a great source of support. Just a heads-up that a lot of people may want to debate the surgery issue, which is their choice.

I myself have a lot of weight to lose (lost 31, have 70-100 to go). I would never encourage or discourage anyone regarding surgery. You have to do what works for you.

Best of luck, and add me as a friend if you like.

I think that the act of logging your food every day and drinking plenty of water will really keep you on track.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky, and welcome! The poster has a great point. Look around the boards and you'll find quite a few active members that have manged to loose over 100 pounds by using My fitness pal. Be sure and give it a fair shot before you go for surgery. Regardless of your decision, good luck and best wishes.....
  • santamommy
    Options
    I would see how much you can do being a part of MFP first...these people are a wonderful support team and people are losing weight that had never been able to do it before.. All you need to do is friend people who are serious about losing weight and log everything everyday and you will be glad you did.. :) Make your surgery your very last resort.
  • ladygodiva70
    ladygodiva70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Losing weight prior to having gastric bypass also reduces the fat on your liver which makes the procedure easier for the surgeon!

I had the surgery in 2008 and do not regret it for a single minute. The key to remember is it's a tool, not a cure. You need to take it very seriously and remember that it's a major surgery, not something to take lightly. I lost and gained 100 pounds twice before resorting to gastric bypass. My heart couldn't take much more of the yo-yoing and having a bp of 210/150, I was a walking stroke waiting to happen.

Today I'm physically fit. I ran my first half-marathon last September. I'm nursing a heel spur, but I plan on running a full marathon in 2013. I'll always need support when it comes to eating, which is why I rely on friends and a local support group - even 3 1/2 years out.

By no means did I simply jump on the gastric bypass band wagon. Even after I was accepted for surgery, I gave it one more shot. I lost 120 pounds and gained 140 pounds. I went through the process for surgery again. In all, it took me 8 years to get my surgery. IF this is what you feel is best for you, and you've weighed the pros and cons, and you've tried pretty much everything under the sun without success... Congratulations for doing what's best for you and good luck!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am post-op roux-en-y completed in 2003. It's been a journey, and I am now at the point where I lose weight like normal people, but the surgery was a great kick-start. Just remember that the surgery is just a tool to help manage appetite, you still have to change your eating habits and develop a new relationship with food.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    My husband had that surgery 7 years ago and never looked back. Best thing he ever did for himself and he said he would do it again in a heart beat!
    Good luck and have a great journey!
  • Semperfione
    Options
    Hi Becky, Welcome...and yes this is the right place to come for help and support. You are on a journey now that will change your life for good if you only let it. Apply yourself and allow people to help you thru the tough times.

I understand you have to take off the 18 lbs before surgery. This is to detox your kidneys and your liver in order to set your body up for the weight loss later, which I know you know this, but others here may not.

Wishing you the best and please be careful, do as your doctor says and stay safe with your new life style, it works for sure. Keep us posted as how your doing if you don't mind. Add me as a friend here if you would like, will help as much as I can too.

Rob
  • Marsha427
    Options
    I wish you the best, whatever you decide. Either way takes a life long commitment to succeed. Surgery doesn't work for those who aren't committed. I have a friend who had it, lost 75 pounds, then decided she'd rather eat big. Now she's bigger than ever.

I'm always reminding myself that the pleasures of food last for the moment, but the side effects are constant. Good luck!
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    bump
  • ShaSimone
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. You are in a good place to start your journey, the peeps on here are AWESOME!! Accountability and support is what makes it really effective, In My Opinion.
  • tlcprn
    tlcprn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    very nicely put... thank you so much for the educated, articulate reply!
  • tlcprn
    tlcprn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    hi Liroez!~ GREAT job with your wt loss, thanks for bumping and sharing!