do you have any good tricks for measuring peanut butter?

Options

Replies

• fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    i have been using MFP for 447 days. What is so difficult about using an individual measuring spoon then taking a straight blade spatula or a knife to level off all excess quantities. You're nit-picking about the quantity. Yes, peanut butter is sticky and so are many other products. You are either totally committed to becoming heart healthy or~~you are not.
  • richelle67
    Options
    I was just told about pb2. You can buy it on amazon or at bellplantation.com . It is a low calorie low fat peanut butter. I am ordering mine tomorrow cuz I gave up eating peanut butter as it is high in calories and fat, which I would rather use on other food.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    measure it once. Take a mental note of how much that is.

Put twice as much on next time :tongue:
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    First I need to know if the peanut butter is faux or real.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have never added PB to oatmeal but after reading all of the posts it seems logical that you could
    * measure the PB with a measuring spoon
    *pour the measured amount of hot water required for the oatmeal into a bowl
    *stir the PB covered spoon into the hot water until it dissolves or softens
    *add oatmeal to the PB infused liquid
  • stablesong
    Options
    I have a set of silicone measuring spoons. I can fill it with a knife, level it, and just pop it out by pushing in on the back of the spoon.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Spray the spoon with Pam - or just wipe it out with your finger.
  • cherriechiu
    Options
    A 1.5" ice-cream scoop (the kind with a squeeze to release handle) holds exactly 1 tbsp.
  • kwahom03
    Options
    something my boyfriend does (which i think is gross but it really doesn't do anything to the peanut butter) is to take a measuring cup fill it with water and plop the peanut butter in until it goes to your desired measurement..if that makes sense.

but a tablespoon is about 1 small spoonful. you can always do the finger swipe with it :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I was just told about pb2. You can buy it on amazon or at bellplantation.com . It is a low calorie low fat peanut butter. I am ordering mine tomorrow cuz I gave up eating peanut butter as it is high in calories and fat, which I would rather use on other food.

^^^This!! It tastes better than the tub o' PB, and sooooo fewer cals!! 2TBSP is 45 cals!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I scoop with my hand = 1 handful
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Try dipping your spoon in boiling water, it might make the PB slide off easier (I know this works for honey).
    I just use my finger to scrape the PB off the spoon and then lick my finger!
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Me too :-)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Spray the spoon with Pam - or just wipe it out with your finger.
    And of course, what you lick off your finger totally doesn't count.

This corollary also holds for spoons and knives.
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't mess around when it comes my beloved peanut butter. It's the one thing I make sure to budget into my day.

I use a tablespoon measuring spoon, pack that sucker full, turn the spoon upside down and slide it off the edge of the jar so that the excess stays in the jar. I use my finger to scoop it out of the spoon, lick my finger off, then lick the spoon to get every single bit of my earned tablespoon. :wink:

I did buy something called Better'n Peanut Butter, but it's like peanut butter frosting to me.. I prefer the real thing even with it's heinous cals.
  • clkuchtyn
    clkuchtyn Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'M SORRY...but I have the best solution. Spray a bit of Pam onto the measuring spoon before you put the PB into it. It slides right out and is clean for the next scoop. It will cost very minimal calories (I wouldn't even count it) and it won't change the taste since PB has lots of oil in it already. And...you're welcome :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I use a scale and just weigh it right into whatever I'm eating out of.
  • LastChanceForMe
    Options
    I use a gram scale. It is perfect, you put your item on it, click it to measure "Zero", put it on grams - - 1 tbsp= 16g.

Very inexpensive to buy. Maybe anywhere between $25.00 - $30.00. It is great to have. you can even set it to oz. and you can get the amount for different items. Look at wal-mart.com to purschase.:flowerforyou:
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I always spray a little bit of Pam cooking spray in the measuring device, and it slides right out