Lunch Ideas for a Driver

Options
Hi folks.

I'm about to start work as a driver which'll probably mean an early start and twelve hour shifts.

Breakfast and dinner are okay but can anyone suggest something healthy I can prepare the night before for the mid morning and lunchtime breaks. When I did it before, many years ago, I'd cook some chicken, rice and peas and have that cold. But it quickly got very boring and I've no culinary imagination.

My cupboard is pretty well stocked with dried herbs/ground spices etc, but it's knowing what works with what that's holding me back.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Chop up a bunch of veggies to have as your snack, and what's great is that once they're all chopped p, it's done for the week. Make sure you're drinking lots of water too, dehydration can make you tired, and a tired driver is never good! You could make yourself some wraps with different ingredients each day. I would make sure you eat something with a lot of veggies b/c the fiber keeps you full and protein. Carbs will just make you crash and leave you wanting something later on. Boiled eggs also travel pretty well.
  • Mazza4011
    Mazza4011 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Any more anyone?
  • cherriechiu
    Options
    - Green salad with chicken (I love using leftover roast chicken for this) topped with orange/grapefruit segments and a sprinkling of nuts. You can use the dressing of your choice, but I like to use a fat free honey mustard dressing.
    - Seared salmon and green bean salad (steamed green beans and marinate them with a balsamic vinegar dressing).
    - Farmer's chicken salad sandwich (shredded roast chicken with diced apple; if you are fat conscious, you can substitue the mayo with yogurt)
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i eat every 3 hours even when cutting.. no fridge where i work... so what i would do is put frozen veggies in a container with cooked refrigirated chicken breast on top n the stuff would thaw just in time for my last meal... so it kept everything cold from like 7am-3pm...

other ideas bring a can of tuna?
    apples, bananas, pears
    almonds
    there is alot of options just depends how far you want to go with it... best bet for a meal is frozen veggies n chicken breast! atleast for me haha