People are telling me I am too thin???

Options
I am 5 ft 6 and 47 yrs of age. My starting weight was 166lbs. I am now 143lbs. My goal was 140lbs but I am happy at this weight. However in the last couple of weeks colleagues have told me I am too thin. I think it is them adjusting to how I look now. I am now in a UK size 12 clothes which is a healthy range. I have no desire to be "skinny", I just want to be (and think I am) healthy. I am eating really well and my fitness is really good just now. My husband and family say I am fine, but I am getting paranoid.

I don't know how to post photos or I would post them here, for some opinions. Any comments?

Replies

• Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    They are jealous because of how fabulous you look :)
  • Formermermaid
    Formermermaid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them!! They really are just jealous. When they say that just respond, "Thanks for your concern but I'm happy and I feel great. Shall we talk about your weight now?"
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    They are jealous because of how fabulous you look :)

I'd say this! Either that, or they have such a distorted view of what is healthy.

Size 12 UK is not too skinny IMO.
  • thunderbolt37
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight and your happy. Ignore, Ignore, Ignore.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them!! They really are just jealous. When they say that just respond, "Thanks for your concern but I'm happy and I feel great. Shall we talk about your weight now?"

This!!!
    Brilliant response! Lol! x
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thamk you all for your response. It confirms my feelings. Looking forward to work today and ready to deflect any negative comments. BTW I measured myself and I am 37 - 30 - 39 so again I feel this is a healthy build for my height and age. Certainly not too thin as some are claiming. Thanks again folks x
  • smallsparkles
    Options
    Waiting for the day to hear this comment from others ha ha!

Yes, just ignore... I guess they just need time to get used to the new fabulous you!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Laugh it off and smile as you walk away in a bit because you are hotter than they!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options

bahaha i love this response!
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We are the exact same height and weight although I am younger. Dam I hope I will still be the same at 45, you look great! I had a comment similar the other day too saying that I dont need to loose any more weight. Have just reached my goal weight recently - my bmi is 24 and i am undecided whether i will aim to reach 22, may just maintain for awhile and see how i go. since normal is between 18.5-25 i dont feel that our weight is "too skinny" it is more the fact that for us it is "skinny" since they have not seen us this size for a long time.
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'5" and am aiming for 140lbs. I'd be happy to get to a UK size 12 and don't think I'd be 'too skinny'. Though I have encountered the similar reaction from a work colleague when I told her I still wanted to lose another 28lbs+. She said I'd look 'dreadful'!!!!!!!!

I'm overweight at the moment but closer to being obese than a healthy weight, so I'm determined to get closer to being healthy!

LouiseXXXX
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a healthy weight to me. I don't think it's that 'everyone is jealous', I think it's more that they are used to you looking a certain way and most people aren't very good at change.
    I had a lot of "you're so skinny" last year (which I'm certainly not, still just into the "overweight" BMI category) but I think it was because of the change, and they just aren't used to seeing me that way.
    Don't get discouraged, think of a simple reply, something like "I'm much happier and healthier now" and move on.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What's so special about 140lbs? Goal weights should only be a rough guide - better to aim for a range that your body feels happy in, or a clothes size. Which you seem to have done, so congratulations!

I wouldn't really respond with an attack back at them, just have my responses ready "Thank you, I'm happy that I'm at a healthy weight" or something.
  • vscott913
    vscott913 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You look great in your profile pic. I would talk to your doc. If he or she feels you have lost too much weight, then you have something to worry about. If not, I would agree that it's just your friends adjusting to your new look. Enjoy it! ;-)

Veronica
  • warriormonk
    warriormonk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Mos. I'm getting the same thing - I think it may be due to the fact I am a lot thinner than I was (a contrast).

It's interesting how peoples first impulse is to fatten us up!

I'd say ignore them and keep being healthy. Oh - and great work!
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    That sounds completely healthy. Tell them that you consulted a doctor and he said it was fine. Then see what they have to say. :)
  • jenhowse1
    Options
    I get that all the time - I am at the lower end of a healthy BMI and I'm happy to stay around where I am. I think people get confused with what is normal healthy weight and what is a average weight - Just because you are skinnier than average that is not a bad thing! Average is not always good!
    Your weight and size sounds good too me and and definitely not too skinny.
  • nstuart4
    Options
    hey i wouldn't worry about them. you look great and it's good that you're happy with how you look. it's how you feel about yourself that counts. i would be happy with myself too if i had lost all that weight. great job of doing so!! It will probably be some adjustng but hopefully they'll come around sooner rather then later and give you a proper congratulations that any of us truly deserve with losing weight. don't let it get you down and stop being paranoid. you look fantastic.
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Rather than assume they are jealous, perhaps you should ask them why they think that. If they say you just look too thin, assure them that you are a healthy weight and build for someone your age and height. They may genuinely be concerned for your health rather than just be envious.

Having said that, how good a friend/colleague are they? Have you been discussing your weight with them? It's not very common for someone you're not too close with to say you're too thin to your face without being jealous, I suppose. Either way,if you feel it is jealousy, as others have said, just tell them you are fine and get on with it. If you're happy with how you are, don't let others say you're too thin.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    This is the reason why I won't tell anyone I'm trying to lose a few. People get so super judgmental and everyone thinks they have the right to comment on you and say what is best for you. Comments about how I look, whether it's too big or too thin (and I've had both types, always in a negative way) just upset me so much.