Training for a half marathon in October- help / advice / tip

Options
I've decided I want to run a half marathon in October (Nike - Run to the Beat in London). I only started running in January but I'm loving it - I started once or twice a week, and now I'm doing it 5 days a week (I am running in doors at the moment, as it's just a little bit too cold, icy and dark to be running outside.

I'm not really checking my distant, but I am increasing my timing (started with 20 mins now moved up too 50 mins) & keeping a good pace.

I was wondering if any of you had any tips for a wannabe long distant runner who is a complete beginner?

Replies

• Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    bump....

...planning on a 5K in July and 10K in September... I'm doing the C25K program now...
  • nixnax
    nixnax Posts: 42
    Options
    Hiya,

I ran the bristol half marathon in Sept 2011 and only did one 10k training run and a 6k run. I managed to do 10 miles straight without stopping. I amazed myself. I did it in 2hr 23 mins

Since doing that I have now qualified as a personal trainer and my advice is practice running distances. Are you doing it on a treadmill? if so set it to a distance instead of a time if you have that setting. Or say to yourself.. today I am going to run 6k and just run it and see how long it takes you. I would get your distance practice up before your speed. Once you are able to run 8 miles, then I would start looking at speed and say 'today I aim to run 6k in so many minutes. (i've put everything in K's because the equipement at most gyms is in K's)

I'm training for the bristol half again this year. I'm actually going to train this time. I'm currently doing 3k in 20 mins, which is about 2.2 miles. so i'm just under a 10 min mile. I want to finish it in 2 hours this year, so lots of hard work to do.

Good luck and feel free to add me :)
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    Go to the grearun.org site and they have a variety of training plans on there for all abilities.

I'm training for:-

Great North Run 16th Sept
    Cardiff Half 14th Oct
    Great South Run 28th Oct

Good luck to all of you, add me if you like
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi Nixnax,

Thanks for the advice- (I added you!!) I'm planning on doing a couple of 5Ks and 10Ks in the coming months to build it up, so I'll keep the distance training in mind!
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Check out Runner's World website for a training program, I believe they have varying levels and time frames. I started to train for my half, gave up and stuck with crossfit. I had never run more then 8 miles (and that was once). I made it to mile 10 before I really started to feel sore (mostly my feet). It took me longer then it probably should have, but I find I run at a safe easy speed (something I need to work on).

Good luck - it's a proud, emotional, exhaustinig moment when you cross that finish line. I cried (thankfully I was wearing sunglasses). Not many people can say they've done a half-marathon. Own it.
  • nixnax
    Options
    I would also get map my run app on your phone. it follows you on gps and tells you how far you ran and everything. i love it.

Also, as soon as it's a nice day, get out there and road run, indoor running is completely different and road running is more strenuous and you use different muscles. you ache in strange places. In the 3 month running up to a 13 mile race, do a lot of road running. except for the week before the race, only do 1 run.

I'm contemplating the great north as well. but it's 2 weeks before the bristol so it may be a bit much.

I'm doing the bristol 10k in may
    the cancer research 10k race for life in july
    1/2 marathon sept.
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Did this half marathon two years ago was my first time - great experience and definitely 'doable' completed in 2h 17mins and was also a complete novice as ppl have said build up slowly i think i did about 5months worth of training so youre definitely very early which is good as you wont need to run all the time if you don't want to! Remember rest days are important too as are properly fitted running trainers to prevent injuries and black toes!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Have a look at this page - follow the links (at the bottom of the article) to the training programs. You have plenty of time so I suggest you try for a 10 K race in June/July then judge if you want to do the beginner or the intermediate program.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/144.shtml

I started from running 5Ks in January last year and ran my quickest half in 1h40mins in Nov/Dec.. 1 week later I did another half, a couple of minutes slower but in much tougher conditions. You'll be amazed what your body is capable of!
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    which half marathon are you doing in Sept - was looking into doing one but didnt want to wait til Oct.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, tips:

1) Join a club, running with other people is fun
    2) Run outside - even in the cold and wet its nicer (But I don't like running in the dark so its tread mills for me some of the time too)
    3) Cross train - The best runners I know are all cyclists too... They will do a long run on Saturday and a long bike ride on Sunday. This allows your muscles to recover whilst still building your endurance stamina.
    4) Sign up to several milestone events in the year. They're fun and they give you focus
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You are off to a great start and have plenty of time to prepare...
    runnersworld has great training tips and scheduled...I use it.
    Tyr and cross train too...take a spin class, or bike, elliptical, kick box, etc...incorporate weight training, too. Set your treadmill at a .5%-1% incline, that simulates a flat raod surface, 0% incline is actually down hill.

Mix your runs up: do speed work one day, long run another, hills another, tempo runs, short fast runs....increase your mileage about 10% each week..

I am signed up for:
    April, More 1/2 in NYC
    August, WIldHalf in Wildwood, NJ ( It is a shore town)

Add me as a friend....I am a fellow runner
  • jgoodgame
    jgoodgame Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    have a look at parkrun.org.uk

"parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in."

it doesnt matter how fast you are as there is always a volunteer back runner so you will never be last!

it's free, friendly, gets you out of bed on a saturday and gives you race practice.

I wish i had gone when i started running rather than waiting till i was sure that i could comfortably do it.

I've gone from 118 to 78 kg in 18 months by running.

happy running
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    the best advice I've been given, aside from getting proper advice on suitable footwear, is to enjoy your running, over a variety
    of different routes until about 16 weeks out from the race then follow a recognised plan.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    www.runnersworld.com has a free program called Smart Coach. All you have to do is register on the website (it's free), and then you can customize a plan depending on

a) how long a training time frame you have/want
    b) your goal time
    c) how hard and frequently you want to train

It also suggests days to cross train/rest, and each week you'll do a variety of easy runs, tempo or speedwork, and a long run.

I've used this program for all of my half marathons and love it! It estimates your finish time quite accurately too.

Congrats on taking the step to accomplishing a half - you'll love it! :)
  • nixnax
    Options
    The 2 I know of in September are the great north run on the 16th and the Bristol half marathon on 30th september.

Great advice there mumof3 I'd forgotten about the incline on the treadmill.

Running in the cold and/or wet is great, it really keeps you cool.

last year I ran the 10k in 1hr6mins it was a hot day, the last one i did was really wet and cold and i did in 56 mins. It's amazing what weather can do for you.

And most importantly keep yourself hydrated. especially if you are a sweater like me.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Fantastic tips, thanks so much! I am hoping to do a couple of 10K's and contemplating a half marathon this year..... Thinking about towards the end of the year, it's my birthday in September, I thought I'd be a nice treat :happy:

Edited to add: Sent a few friend requests, feel free to add me too :smile:
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Half Marathon Advice........

Get shoes made for your feet - have your feet measured and your gait analyzed at a proper running shoe store.
    Get good socks for your journey.
    Find a plan and stick with it - Hal Higdon offers a good one, but there are many.
    Work the plan. Trust the plan.
    Don't fudge on your long run days.
    Test your diet on your long training days to see what works and *ahem* what doesn't work for you.
    Don't try anything new on race day - no new diet, no new clothes, no new shoes. Stick with what's worked.
    Take water from the youngest volunteer out there. Water just tastes better when a 4 or 5 year old gives it to you. Their eyes light up!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    there are many programs out there for runners of all types to get them trained for a half marathon. find one that fits into your schedule and do it. don't be afraid to modify it a little, because remember, the plans are generic and made to be adjusted for real life.

pay attention to the plans limitations on milage and distance. don't go over them just because you are "in the zone" or something. this is a great way to over exert yourself and limit your progress. most endurance athletes that are training for something like this only increase their distance something like 10% a week.

i recommend that you do go outside to train as much as possible, but if the weather is keeping you inside for the moment, that is ok too. crosstrain by swimming or cycling once every seven to ten days, and don't neglect strength. you should try and do two full body strength work outs a week, doing a combination of legs, chest and arms, and core. deadlifts and squats will help your strong leg muscles push you further and longer, and your arms and chest help with the forward motion needed for running, and core well, helps keep you balanced. there is a saying in track: "you can only run as fast as you can pump your arms."
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    As others have said, get a program. you;ve also had some good tips in the above posts.

My tips for training:

1.If you have not got decent running shoes get some. go to a running shop for advice (not a general sports shop)

2. Have a run diary. Record, date, route*, time, distance and any notes (especially aches and pains)

* have a list of routes of varying mileages and hills etc. Know which of your routes are fully paved/fully lit. This is good when you have to do a night time or early morning run.

3. do not try to significantly increase your weekly mileage. 10% increase per week maximum.

4. Ensure you are eating well. Do not limit your calories too much and do not skimp on fat.

Most people who fail when preparing for a distance event seem to do so because of injury or illness. Minimise the chances of injury by tip number 3 and illness by tip number 4.

Best wishes
  • swimbikerun2006
    swimbikerun2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You have gotten a lot of great information from others. The only thing I would add if it hasn't already been said, is proper nutrition and hydration on longer runs. Taking something to eat 60-90 minutes into your longer runs will help sustain you until the end. There are many options out there. I choose sport gels and in particular Hammer products. But try different things on your training runs to find what works best with your digestive system.

It sounds like you have already developed a solid running base...just find a plan (lots of websites noted in other posts) and train!

ENJOY!