Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Colonoscopy?

OK - I know how hard it is for those of us with weight issues to get ourselves in to the doctor for health care, particularly maintenance. But if you are of the right age, or have a family history of colon cancer, please schedule your colonoscopy today, then post that you did.

Here's the story. My husband finally decided to go ahead and get his (7 years past the recommended age). His father had an issue with bleeding not long ago, so my husband talked (cajoled, threatened to sic me on him) his father into getting one as well. FIL's test was first, and those polyps they found 16 years ago - that he never followed up on? One is now cancer and he's having surgery in two days. My husband had his procedure this am, they found two small polyps - snip snip - done. Even if they are precancerous he won't need to have another one for three years. We pray and believe my FIL's procedure will take care of it, but why take the chance.

Schedule yours, take care of yourself. Please?

Replies

• Hear, hear! They tell you to have your first one at age 50. I'm only 46, but had my first one last week due to my Primary Immune Deficiency making me likely to develop problems with the gastrointestinal system. They found benign adenomas. As you said "snip, snip, come back in three years."

Adenomas are the kind of polyps that are likely to become cancerous if not removed. I'm glad they are gone, and even more secure in my decision to stick to this healthy lifestyle I've adopted. Exercise, fiber, fruits and veggies, and avoidance of red meat all help.

Get your tests please!!! :)
  • Did you know that if you are a woman with a family history with colon cancer, you are more likely to get colon cancer than a male in your family? My aunt died 11 yrs ago in March from colon cancer (which spread all thru her insides), and her doctors gave us that info an incouraged all the women to get checked. I've had two checks since then, and Im not even 30 yet!

Its not a chance Im willing to take! I'll keep FIL in my prayers...hope all goes well!
  • My husband had one a couple of years ago, at age 44, b/c he was having issues w/ inflammatory bowel. They found a couple of polyps and snip, snip. I'm really thankful he had one b/c who knows what would have happened to the polyps by the time he had his at 50. Yikes.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Great feedback. Thanks.
  • lja20
    lja20 Posts: 54 Member
    Ok, ok!!!!! I've been putting it off........ Guess I was meant to read this this morning. ;)
  • Usbornegal
    Ok, ok!!!!! I've been putting it off........ Guess I was meant to read this this morning. ;)

You will be so glad you are taking this step! They put you out completely for the procedure - over before you know it. And the prep is really just a body cleanse, and that is getting better/easier all the time!
  • lagcrg
    lagcrg Posts: 38 Member
    My hubby had one done in early 30's because of digestive issues. They found polyps then and got'em out. He has since had a follow up and all is well. Digestive issue has since been diagnosed and treatment is diet related, but I have really had no reason to have this test done. I'm in my mid 30's, and I don't know of a family history...but I will keep it mind to talk with doc at my next physical. It's good to get educated and know the family history, keep yourself healthy and get your phsicals ever year or two and your chances of staying healthy will be better.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    In the UK, there's a national Bowel Cancer Screening programme, for which people receive an invitation to participate from age of 60. I know, because I'm the data analyst for one of the hubs for the programme in England. The advice we give to anyone under the age of 60 who has concerns about their bowels, blood in bowel motion etc is to go and see your GP and get yourself checked out.

We get hundreds of calls a day, some saying the test kit we send out is disgusting, some saying that they don't want to participate in the programme, but some, the few that make it worthwhile are those that ring up to say thank you. They had a positive result in their test kit and were referred to a screening centre for a colonoscopy - in some instances it was simply polyps, that were dealt with in others it was just getting the all clear.

I'm with Usbornegal, any concerns, don't hold back and get yourself checked out!!
  • Usbornegal
    Thanks for the UK update, Kendra! In the U.S. it is age 50 unless there is a family history or a problem. Too many people put off the screening (I know I was hesitant until I had an issue and needed to be checked) but this test can eliminate years of pain, chemo, surgery and/or radiation.

Take care and be well my MFP friends!
  • Usbornegal
    Bump. Baseball sized tumor removed from my FIL - no prior symptoms or pain, only found through the colonoscopy.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    I had my first one last year and will need one again next year. It's really not as bad a procedure as people make it out to be.
  • Usbornegal
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • I couldn't agree more! Please don't put something like this off. I am only 21 years old and already have had one. My mother passed away, March will be a year, from colon cancer at the age of 50!! It's no joke, it could save your life!
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    I had my first one last year and will need one again next year. It's really not as bad a procedure as people make it out to be.
    Had mine last year when I turned 50. All clear and not nearly as bad as everyone led me to believe. Just do it.....
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    i have a family history of colon cancer; had my first colonoscopy in 2009. it was stressful, but not as bad as i thought it would be. i was completely lights out the whole time. i would rather go through that than cancer.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Bump
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    I had one last week, all clear. I've had one every 5 years for maybe the last 20 yrs. and this time they told me I won't need any more. My dad died from colon cancer after it had spread to his pancreas, because he waited too long to get his first one. The problem is I can't get DH to get one, he hates going to the doctor, just like my dad did.
  • Usbornegal
    @issyfit - Sorry to hear about your father. My husband used to be the same way as yours. I kept up gentle pressure, but he also had some friends who kept encouraging him to go through with it and helping to convince him it was a really good thing to do. When he finally decided to do it, he then convinced his dad to go - which is when they found my FIL's cancer. FIL is just home from the hospital, feeling great, and we believe they got it all. Maybe your hubby has some friends who can help encourage him?
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    @issyfit - Sorry to hear about your father. My husband used to be the same way as yours. I kept up gentle pressure, but he also had some friends who kept encouraging him to go through with it and helping to convince him it was a really good thing to do. When he finally decided to do it, he then convinced his dad to go - which is when they found my FIL's cancer. FIL is just home from the hospital, feeling great, and we believe they got it all. Maybe your hubby has some friends who can help encourage him?

Thanks. After mine last week I told him he was next. I hope your FIL fully recovers.
  • Usbornegal
    Bump