Training for a half marathon in October- help / advice / tip

Options
2»

Replies

• stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    Yeah the Great North is on the 16th Sept I did this in 2008 in 2hrs 24 min on first attempt and to be honest it was alot harder
    than I expected. The incline on a treadmill will come in handy for this one, luckily I live in the Vvalleys so don't require a treadmill.

Can't wait to get back to Newcastle an beat my time.

However the ballot for general entries is now closed ( yesterday) but plenty of charities will have places if you want to run this one.

Again, best of luck
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I like Hal Higdon's plans, and you're definitely running long enough to jump into one of the novice ones, if not now then by spring. Or start now and repeat the middle bit to get really comfy:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

You might want to consider a run/walk technique, such as run four minutes, walk one and repeat. Runners of all abilities can actually go faster this way than trying to run all the way! Here are Jell Galloway's tips and recommended ratios. Despite being slower, 4/1 works for me.
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

If you don't have fancy GPS tech, use a phone app like Cardiotrainer or Runkeeper to measure your distance. Plan your route ahead of time using MapMyRun, but ideally run in a series of different loops so you're never super far from home if it all goes horribly wrong.

Just one word or warning, I heard bad things about the organisation of Run To The Beat last year. Check online reviews, including in Runner's World, and maybe adjust your plans for getting there and nutrition (carrying gels etc.) accordingly. I've also heard it's hilly, so make sure you incorporate some hills in your training. Good luck, and add me as a friend if you like!
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    The US Air Force Marathon (Half, and 10K) is September 16th in Dayton, Ohio. The 5K is the night before. Registration is open (and currently at a discount online)..... www.usafmarathon.com if anyone is interested.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Fantastic advice from everyone - Ive signed up for my first half marathon in May so Im finding this really useful too. FR sent in case you want to swap tips/advice xx
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider a run/walk technique, such as run four minutes, walk one and repeat. Runners of all abilities can actually go faster this way than trying to run all the way!

Is that really true? I'm not sure that actually walking/running is faster at all levels - however there is a principle which I know DOES apply: It is possible to recover when on the move: If you learn what your natural pace is then you can attack a portion of the race at a higher pace than you can complete the whole thing at, then recover whilst still running and then speed up again.

Why do this... Well, for example hills: you put in extra effort going up then recover on the flat or better yet on the down hill (which you can do at some considerable speed and still recover: its all about relaxing and letting gravity take you...) Its also excellent if you get your pace wrong at the start of the race and feel like you're burning out... Just take it down, recover, then pick up again later. Psychologically it is fantastic because being tired doesn't mean that you're out of the race: On the contrary - it means that you've just completed a good 'effort' section.
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    save
  • BerryH
    Options
    You might want to consider a run/walk technique, such as run four minutes, walk one and repeat. Runners of all abilities can actually go faster this way than trying to run all the way!
    Is that really true? I'm not sure that actually walking/running is faster at all levels
    Maybe not ALL levels - I've never seen Paula Radcliffe stop for a stroll while selecting the next podcast! However, Galloway cites a number of examples in his book where experienced Marathoners go from, say, 4:15 to sub-4 with regular walk break, and friends have gone from 5:30 to sub-5. No scientific proof and may be largely anecdotal , and could just be the result of following a plan, but I've yet to hear anyone complain it made them slower.

In the case of the super-slow like me, regular walk breaks right from the beginning could certainly save me a painful walk/crawl for the last few miles if my limbs give up the ghost!
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Just one word or warning, I heard bad things about the organisation of Run To The Beat last year. Check online reviews, including in Runner's World, and maybe adjust your plans for getting there and nutrition (carrying gels etc.) accordingly. I've also heard it's hilly, so make sure you incorporate some hills in your training. Good luck, and add me as a friend if you like!

I choose Run to the Beat because of the date, I'm doing a Degree and my End of year exams are at the start of October, so I thought finishing my academic year with a half marathon would be amazing ( plus I listen to pod casts whilst running as a form of revision). But I'm based in Oxford, so if there are any runs in the South of England around the same time I might consider them.

Thanks for all the advice- I think collectively we could write a book about it running!
    Going to find a programme that suits me and get cracking on it this weekend.
  • stuey39
    Options
    Great South Run is 28th October in Portsmouth but it's only(?) a10 miler
  • monkeypantz
    Options
    Great South Run is 28th October in Portsmouth but it's only(?) a10 miler

My Best friend is getting married on the 27th, so I'd be in no state to run on the 28th!
  • stuey39
    Options
    haha fair play.

My daughters want me to run it in a Chicken suit so I think I'd rather be in yous position :)
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half this May, and agree with what everyones been saying. Don't overtrain even tho you may feel you can run farther, stick to a plan and don't stress if you have to miss a day or a few due to sickness or injury. Just steady increase of distance to build endurance seems to work... I just did an 8 mile (12.8km) run yesterday and was fine. Never thought that would be possible....

You can do this!
  • jgoodgame
    jgoodgame Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    have a look at

Windsor Half Marathon
    Sunday October 7th 2012

http://www.runwindsor.com/index.php

it has a few thousand people, it's run in a royal park, no traffic, no time limit.
  • BerryH
    Options
    no time limit.
    Now, this is news I can use. I've never yet turned up to a half as they all seem to have time limits I'm not sure I can achieve :blushing:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've decided I want to run a half marathon in October (Nike - Run to the Beat in London). I only started running in January but I'm loving it - I started once or twice a week, and now I'm doing it 5 days a week (I am running in doors at the moment, as it's just a little bit too cold, icy and dark to be running outside.

I'm not really checking my distant, but I am increasing my timing (started with 20 mins now moved up too 50 mins) & keeping a good pace.

I was wondering if any of you had any tips for a wannabe long distant runner who is a complete beginner?

Congrats on making the decision to run your first Half!! Warning - they are addictive :)

You have plenty of time to prepare. I started running 2 months before my first half and finished it, so I don't think you'll have a problem at all.

I would definitely start running outside as soon as possible. Running outdoors is a LOT harder on your body than running on a nice cushy treadmill. Get GOOD shoes. They will save your legs - literally. If you can ONLY spend money on one thing, make sure it's SHOES. And go to a running specialty store (i.e. Fleet Feet, Road Runner Sports) where they can watch your gait and stride and help you select shoes that will work for YOU specifically.

Other than that, have fun! Find a training plan you like and stick to it :)

Oh and don't be afraid of eating carbs. You're a runner now, carbs are your friends.
  • jgoodgame
    jgoodgame Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    last year at windsor the slowest person took 4 hours. that is 3.25mph.

For my first half i made sure there was no cut off and some walkers. It takes all the pressure away!
  • monkeypantz
    Options
    have a look at

Windsor Half Marathon
    Sunday October 7th 2012

http://www.runwindsor.com/index.php

it has a few thousand people, it's run in a royal park, no traffic, no time limit.

Oooo this is good! I grew up around Windsor- and never knew about this!!! Thanks!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Damn it, I'm already fighting through training wibbles over London and now I want to do Windsor, grrr!