Dog's Dinner's

Options
Just wondering , does anyone else feed their dog proper home cooked food or is it me??

Replies

• the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I don't feed ours, BUT I do know a couple that their German Shepherd gets a hot meal for breakfast & supper.

JM
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    glad it not just me then, my mmrs reckons I stupid haha
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by home cooked food in your question. However, I do vary my pooch's (pitbull) meals. I alternatively feed her Origen (store bought minimal processed kibble) and a concoction of raw /slightly seared meats and pureed vegetables. I do not feed her "table scraps" in addition to her twice a day feedings. If I have salmon or eggs, I always set aside a bit for her as well as plain yogurt. For treats, I give her bites of banana, carrot, and broccoli. For training treats (I work her in agility) I use Zukes rabbit or salmon bites, or string cheese.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Rachael Ray has a whole area on her website with recipes for your pooch.
  • stuey39
    Options
    No table scraps just proper food, ie chicken breast with rice and fresh veggies or lean steak mince wth pasta and veggies
    things like that.
  • octafishy
    Options
    My 3 get cooked beef mince and rice with their dry dog food.
    they will not eat tinned dog food at all. they also get bones and some leftovers from our meals intergrated into their food but not the scraps.
  • stuey39
    Options
    My pampered pooch has never liked dry food and i refuse to give her the tinned crap so give her some real stuff, which
    I think she deserves as she is a very loyal and willing training partner and clocks up some serious miles with me, hiking
    and running on a daily basis.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Options
    No table scraps just proper food, ie chicken breast with rice and fresh veggies or lean steak mince wth pasta and veggies
    things like that.

There are a number of "recipes" on reliable pet care web sites; and many vets have recommended recipes. I puree her veggies because a canine's digestive system cannot break down fiber efficiently. In the wild (like wolves and such) the fiber they ingest is already broken down in the entrails of their prey; and easily digested.
  • stuey39
    Options
    I didn't know that and thanks for the advice, maybe that's why she sometimes leaves a trail of carrots in her wake lol
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Options
    My pampered pooch has never liked dry food and i refuse to give her the tinned crap so give her some real stuff, which
    I think she deserves as she is a very loyal and willing training partner and clocks up some serious miles with me, hiking
    and running on a daily basis.

Bonnie's coat is gorgeous. She' a "ripped" pit. :D
  • stuey39
    Options
    Luna is just a mad 3 year old Jack Russel who's coat is normally horrible as she off road with me alot and will not be bathed haha
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Options
    Luna is just a mad 3 year old Jack Russel who's coat is normally horrible as she off road with me alot and will not be bathed haha

A JR? You have your hands full! Great running partner! I don't bathe Bonnie frequently. Her coat is gorgeous from good nuitrition.
    Yeah, give a go at grinding up the veggies -- I promise there won't be anymore carrot trails! :D
  • stuey39
    Options
    Oh yes my hands are fuller than full, luckily she loves to run and as you say a great partner but she excels when it comes
    to mountain work!!

I have one of those proper waistbelt/lead thingies so I just gotta go with her.

She's atypical Jack though, proper feisty and does my head in at times but still the best training partner I've ever had.

Thaks again for the advice on grindin up
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    My rottweiler Cooper eats dry food for his meals, but I do make these for him on a pretty frequent basis. He is such a sucker for peanut butter - just like his mama! ;)

http://www.veganmachine.com/2011/05/peanut-butter-oatmeal-dog-treats.html
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I don't...but I have been thinking of starting. Especially since my dogs have some digestive problems...

An old friend of mine used to make home made stews for their dog on a daily basis...or basically whatever they and their family had for dinner they'd make a plate for each of their dogs too! Their one dog lived to be 19 years old...and the other one lived to be 17...so clearly they were doing something right. They still had a community bowl that was filled with kibble that the dogs cuold nibble on throughout the day, but they fed the dogs one big hearty and healthy meal per night.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    things like that.

My dogs are a bit spoiled............

They get Acana (grain free biologically appropriate) dry kibble, but also get supplemented with raw. Pig ears, marrow bones, hunks of chicken, raw vegetables and fruit, raw egg.

I never feed our dogs grains as they would not eat them in the wild. When they go to daycare, they are the only dogs there with duck, turkey or beef jerky treats and baby carrots.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My dog gets dry food and she's more than happy. She's happy with anything edible! My neighbors switched to "natural" home cooked meals for their German Shepard because he was constantly having seizures (sometimes several a day). In a short period of time, the seizures were almost non-existent! There's something to be said for feeding your dog the proper way -- the way nature intended.
  • davidc_81
    Options
    My three get Blue Buffalo.