How can you keep avocado from turning quickly?

Options
I want to eat only 1/4 of an avocado a day. But I haven't done this b/c I don't want to waste a bunch of avocado's... It'll turn brown before the 4th day, when I finish one whole avocado.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• tayshk
    tayshk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,

If you imagine your avocado standing upright with skinniest part at the top and larger and the bottom; Normally we tend to cut vertically - this exposes too much to air. Instead I would try cutting 1/4's in horizontal rings per day, keeping it seeded. Cover the exposed portion with cling wrap and place in fridge. As there is less exposed you should get 4 days out of it, with maybe just having to cut a couple of millimetres each day of the exposed area if it is brown.

Good luck :)
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Well, obviously refrigerate it. Also, most produce sections in your grocer sell little containers for sealing in produce. Try that.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Squeeze fresh lime or lemon juice on it. It preserves it and keeps it from browning. Tastes great too.
  • swobbles
    Options
    Keep the stone with the avocado. If you remove the skin from the full thing and cut it up, put what you aren't using into a bowl, put the stone in with it, cover with cling-film and pop it in the fridge, it should last longer.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    once the avocado is ripe put it in the fridge it will last for 5 days. Once you cut an avocado squeeze lime juice over it and keep the pit with it in an air tight container in the fridge.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do all of the above: keep the seed in it, put some lemon or lime on the exposed part, and put plastic wrap directly on the exposed cut sides, so no air can get to it. Keep it in the fridge. Will last more than 4 days.
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thanks girls! i will try this out.

yeah.. i know obviously refrigerate it.