Always needing to toilet!

Options
:huh: Hi,

I have only been using MFP for 3 weeks but I am always on the tiolet after trying to consume 8 glasses of water daily on top of having my normal daily drinks. I have even started getting up multiple times during the night to go.

Is it really necessary to consume this amount of water? If so, why? Does coffee / tea / fruit juice count towards this or not? At the moment on average I am having 3-4 cups of coffee or green tea, 8 glasses of water and a couple of fruit juices and I am never off the tiolet!

Do I have a week bladder that needs seeing to? I read as long as you are hydrated (your pee is clear) that you should be ok, but if I go by this rule do I risk not loosing weight?

Any advice most welcome..

Replies

• EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS me too. It is quite embarrassing when my friends notice ... 'are you going to the bathroom AGAIN???'

I try to have most of my allowance in the AM and less in the evening, or I end up getting up during the night too.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your system - you are just drinking A LOT. I personally would count tea and fruit juice towards your allowance, but not coffee. Bear in mind that coffee is a diuretic and will further increase your need to go to the loo!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's normal and your body may adjust. A hydrated body will pee every 3 hours. And no other stuff besides water doesnt' count. Juices have sugar and can dehydrate you and coffee as describe is a diuretic.

ps- I pee every 2-3 hours and wake up in the middle of the night to pee. I drink 120-150 oz of water a day.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    As long as your urine is showing that you're properly hydrated (light, straw-colored yellow to clearish) there is absolutely no reason to pump yourself full of extra water. Extra water does not make you lose any extra fat/weight. Extra water is just filtered through your kidneys and into your bladder.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's normal and your body may adjust. A hydrated body will pee every 3 hours. And no other stuff besides water doesnt' count. Juices have sugar and can dehydrate you and coffee as describe is a diuretic.
    Cite your sources. This is not true.
  • leanne4000
    Options
    thanks everyone, I will drink enough to keep myself hydrated and no more.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The first month I did this (and I drink a 1/2 gallon of water a day) I was going to the bathroom for #1 every 1/2 hour. When your body gets used to that much intake, it will slow down. Now I go about every 3 hours or so. Around 10, around 1, and right before I leave work at 4.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You are drinking way too much! It is possible to overhydrate your body just as it is possible to be dehydrated. You can count your other drinks toward your fluid intake as well.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    To stop myself getting up multiple times in the night to pee, I try to stop drinking liquids after 8 or 9pm. I've also found that after 6 weeks my body seems to have started to adjust and I don't have to pee as much as I did orginally.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Cite your sources. This is not true.

You should pee 4-7 times a day, which makes it a range of every 3-6 hours essentially. So it's not fully off. Now if you have other information stating otherwise, then you should post it. BTW, if you are going to say someone is wrong, then you should state your source.

http://healthgrades.mm-health.com/simple-solutions-for-an-overactive-bladder/how-often-should-you-urinate
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Tea, juices and stuff do add to your water intake. :)

Also, you WILL adjust eventually to the higher amount of water you've been drinking, it will just take some time! Just think of it now as your body flushing out any water that could be retained and adding to your scale!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Well, the "water" log actually just means liquid. Don't over do it:smile:
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too ..even during my workouts of Turbo Fire i have to stop just to pee !! its really annoying! when i was on weight watchers they told me tea and juice do count as water..even coffee if it's black..once you add stuff to it, it doesnt count as water anymore. i only drink 64 oz of water a day (which i always heard ur supposed to) ..i drink a bottle in the morning..a bottle with my lunch..and a bottle with my dinner and then sip on another one throughout the day..and try not to drink water too close to bed or you'll be up all night . .hope this helps :smile:
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    There was more to that post than just restroom frequency buddy, it was said to cite sources (and its might be referring to the caffeine/sugar part).

The caffeine/sugar debate has been going on for as long as I can remember, I count half my coffee because my body doesn't react like it used to do to caffeine. Sodas I don't count, but anything else I do.

Either
  • Sweetpopcorn619
    Options
    It's not that bad if you sit in the office all day Monday to Friday.... But it gets a bit difficult at the weekend when you are trying to go shopping with friends then it ends up like a toilet hunting game...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    And here is some good information on how much you should drink.

"The adequate intake for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day. " -- Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Frequent urination is also a sign of diabetes. In fact, it is usually the most blaring symptom of uncontrolled diabetes.

Are you eating a lot of processed carbs? Have you had your blood glucose checked? Getting up at night multiple times is very suspect, even if you are drinking a lot. Please rule out diabetes before continuing. Good luck.
  • kelseykness
    Options
    They have come out and said drinks like brewed tea with no caffine and no sugar added, the shake up mixes and some coffees do actually count towards your daily water intake. I work in a gym and our nutritionist agreed with this info.
  • swall0810
    swall0810 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    On a good day I will drink 10-12 glasses of water a day and at first I was in the bathroom all the time, then my body adjusted and I go every few hours.
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    3-4 hours? When your body getting use to the increase of water, try every 20 minutes!! I have not heard of counting juice towards water because of the natural or added sugar. Maybe tea with no sugar or a crystal light or something like that. But the majority of your intake should be pure water and 6-8 glasses which is 64 oz is what you should be shooting for everyday. Coffee is definitely not a part of your water intake. Have you ever thought of cutting back on the amount of coffee and using fresh fruit for energy? Thats a change that I've made. Anyway nothing is wrong with you, your body is just getting use to the water. Keep drinking it and eventually you'll notice that your "going" will start to taper off somewhat.
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    IMO fruit juice doesn't count towards water...coffee you could argue has water in it. I count my tea as water, because it's basically flavored water. I aim to drink the number of my weight in ounces, so 130 ounces of water or tea a day. I'm usually going to the bathroom everything 3 hours when I drink that much. Seems pretty normal to me, it's a lot of liquid, but it seems like there are a lot of differing opinions on the subject.