ideas for eating in early am?

Options
staceyw37
staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
i'm new to waking up so early for exercise.
i'm up by 5:30 to take the dog out for short walk.
then i do exercise dvd (40-60min, 300-400cals).

what should i eat before doing the dvd? what is fast and light enuf so i won't get cramps?

or could i skip eating till after the workout??

all suggestions appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• katealim
    katealim Posts: 45
    Options
    I eat a yogurt, sprinkled with a little Fibre One before I work out in the am.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    generally it's a good idea to have some protein and fat before a cardio exercise (20 to 30 minutes before) and then you can have some carbohydrates after, don't go crazy on either side though, maybe 200 before and 200 - 300 after (calories that is). Complex carbs after is the best because of it's long time for digestion. Something like oatmeal, or whole grain toast, some kind of veggie or fruit maybe as well...etc.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before workouts and I know I should :ohwell: I would probably do what shboss recommends like a piece of toast w/ peanut better, 1 egg, etc...
  • kryoung
    kryoung Posts: 10
    Options
    If your 'cutting down' on your meals in the evening, your going to be hungry in the morning.
    Boil a bunch of eggs.
    Eat one when you get up with a cup of herbal tea or milk (almond, soy or 1%)

Thats what I do:flowerforyou:

And like stated above, have a carb afterwards
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You should eat a decent, healthy breakfast to get your metabolism rolling. Wait 20 to 30 minutes before your workout. Don't starve yourself before your workout.
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with others have said here.Something with good amount of protein before, Whole wheat bread or high fiber cereal (hot or cold) with fruit after.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    See how you feel with eating before. I personally can't eat before I work out - not even a little bit. If I do I get all acid refluxy and feel nauseous.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I always eat before I work out in the morning. I like cream of wheat with strawberries and skim milk but I do resistance training in the morning not cardio.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before working out in the morning.

Roll out of bed, get dressed and head straight down to the basement.

If I was to eat I'd have to wait at least 30 minutes and I don't have that spare time before I head out to work..
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    the reason for not going crazy with carbs before working out in the morning (or anytime) is because the reason to do cardio is to drop fat, fat is pulled from our body when we have a shortage of usable energy from our dietary intake.

So if you want to burn fat, put something in your stomach to kick start your day, but make it something with protein and a little good fats, and little carbs. Since there are little carbs coming in, and the body needs fuel for the burning, you'll burn a slightly higher percentage of stored fat. After you exercise, since aerobic activity doesn't burn calories after we work out (not many at least) you can now give yourself the good complex carbs you need for energy throughout the day.

The idea is protein before cardio, carbs after cardio; and some carbs before weight training, and protein plus carbs (about 2 to 1 carb to protein ratio) after weight training.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    :happy: thank you all!

and banks, thanks for explaining the science part.
    i am doing lots of cardio to burn the fat, so now i understand the rationale.

hope you all have a great day!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options

The idea is protein before cardio, carbs after cardio; and some carbs before weight training, and protein plus carbs (about 2 to 1 carb to protein ratio) after weight training.

Thank you! This makes sense and is very helpful!
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    I usually have a banana because it's easier to digest, especially since my stomach is so sensitive in the morning. I just try to avoid it all together until the workout is over. Hope this helps.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm doing a really tough workout I dont eat beforehand (just some coffee) but if I'm going for a long run, or the morning of a race I'll normally have a piece of wheat toast (or a kashi wheat waffle) with some PB on it and maybe a banana.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before working out in the morning.

Roll out of bed, get dressed and head straight down to the basement.

If I was to eat I'd have to wait at least 30 minutes and I don't have that spare time before I head out to work..

Exactly why I don't eat before working out. I would have to get up at like 3:45!!