Always needing to toilet!

Options
2»

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    It's normal and your body may adjust. A hydrated body will pee every 3 hours. And no other stuff besides water doesnt' count. Juices have sugar and can dehydrate you and coffee as describe is a diuretic.
    Cite your sources. This is not true.

You should pee 4-7 times a day, which makes it a range of every 3-6 hours essentially. So it's not fully off. Now if you have other information stating otherwise, then you should post it. BTW, if you are going to say someone is wrong, then you should state your source.

http://healthgrades.mm-health.com/simple-solutions-for-an-overactive-bladder/how-often-should-you-urinate

I think they may have been referring to the part where you stated juice and coffee do not count as water. They do. There is water in most drinks and most foods. This is a highly discussed topic by professionals who claim you don't even need to "drink" your eight glasses because we derive a lot of water from our fruits and veggies and whatnot.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    What types of drinks are you drinking? I've spoken to my doctor and he has explained that our bodies are able to separate the water out of most beverages... hence why people who NEVER drink water are not dehydrating and die. So... I drink unsweetened tea and coffee along with my water... so I don't JUST drink 8 glasses of water on top of my other drinks. Maybe, you should speak to your doctor to follow up... but, if you have just started this journey... it's possible you are flushing water weight.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    As long as your urine is showing that you're properly hydrated (light, straw-colored yellow to clearish) there is absolutely no reason to pump yourself full of extra water. Extra water does not make you lose any extra fat/weight. Extra water is just filtered through your kidneys and into your bladder.

This! No need to force water. Look at your total fluid intake. Unless you are in some crazy desicating situation like hiking the Mojave Dessert, drink when you are thirsty, don't when you are not. Trust your body. If you are peeing every 30 minutes, your body is telling you that it's more than well hydrated and you can back it off. As someone else said, about every 3 hours to pee is about right. sometimes more, sometimes less but not every 30 minutes.
  • bearschbizz
    Options
    The point really is to consume the water in replacement of the other liquids....it is by far the healthier choice. Plus, you will find you eat less throughout the day.
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes I am like this too I drink water through the night as well as I'm a light sleeper and wake up thirsty.
  • krunchykat
    krunchykat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this but the guideline for this is 8 cups, which is 8 - 8oz servings of water. It's supposed to be 64oz of water per day not 8 glasses, which could end up being double that or more. If you're drinking 4 16.9oz bottles of water or the equivalent throughout the day you're getting enough.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    It takes time, but your body can / should adjust accordingly to the increase in water that you're drinking. I know I was the same way for quite a while after I started drinking water all the time, now I do okay. If I'm drinking anything with caffiene in it though, that definitely causes me more frequent restroom visits. :tongue:
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The point really is to consume the water in replacement of the other liquids....it is by far the healthier choice. Plus, you will find you eat less throughout the day.

Very true. While you do get water form other sources, clear natural water is always the most healthy and beneficial. :)
  • Shaneekwa
    Shaneekwa Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Here is some information I read on a site:

There are many reasons why it is important to drink water, especially if you are dieting:

•Initial weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration.
    •The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.
    •Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.
    •Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.
    •Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising.
    •A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.
    •Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_water.php
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Always going... story of my life. Seems like every 15-20 min in the morning then slows a little in the afternoon. At least 3 times during the night. Ugh. Annoying.
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options

The idea that you'd eat less by drinking more water is only really applicable if you mistake thirst for hunger (which some people do) so if you're adequately hydrated then water will have no impact on appetite.

Additionally if you're dehydrated, in a lot of cases, your natural appetite is suppressed. (I'd cite references but have other stuff to be getting on with - however, google is your friend :laugh: )
  • renu74
    renu74 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's normal and your body may adjust. A hydrated body will pee every 3 hours. And no other stuff besides water doesnt' count. Juices have sugar and can dehydrate you and coffee as describe is a diuretic.
    Cite your sources. This is not true.

If you ask any health care professional, this is exactly what they say, do not drink caffeinated/carbonated drinks or juices as they dehydrating.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Is it really necessary to consume this amount of water? If so, why? Does coffee / tea / fruit juice count towards this or not? At the moment on average I am having 3-4 cups of coffee or green tea, 8 glasses of water and a couple of fruit juices and I am never off the tiolet!

I will point out that the caffeine in the coffee and green tea will also contribute to the need to toilet frequently. If you're able, try cutting down to decaf on some of those cups. I know this might or might not be realistic for you-it wasn't easy for me. The big answer you're looking for is yes, other liquids count. I would recommend cutting down on your juices and eating whole fruits instead. They give you liquid intake too and offer better nutrition than the juices. You don't need another 64 oz of water on top of what you're getting.

Your veggies and other foods have water in them too. If you eat celery, fruits, broth-based soups, or other water-logged foods you're getting water from them as well. Count it.

Your body will adjust, but there's no reason to drown it. Keep up the great work!
  • gameovergt
    Options
    more water more water out
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking 8 glasses of water a day. I was going to the bathroom every 10 minutes like clock work. Sure everything was as clear as watered down apple juice (nice visual there for ya :D) but having to sprint to the bathroom every 10 minutes was crazy! I fel like one of those people on those overactive bladder commercials
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS!
    Nothing beats just pure water.

But log in all liquids.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You do not need to drink that much water.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/

Drink when you're thirsty. Drink if you are sweating a lot (e.g. from heat or exertion). Eat lots of moisture rich foods (like raw fruit and vegetables). Also, there is evidence beverages other than water (even those with sugar or caffeine) have a net hydrating effect. Oh, and it is possible to drink too much water and make yourself sick that way, although 64oz a day shouldn't be nearly enough to do that.