Leg Stretches

Options
Sorry if this has been posted before but I don't really have the time to search through the forums.

I need some good leg stretches that will help my shins keep from hurting when I run.
I know I probably need new running shoes, it's on the list to look into it.

But until then, how can I stretch out my legs so I'm less in pain??

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i'd suggest to hold on to running while your shins hurt, you dont want any further injury.
    as for shoes, you are right, once i got myself new running shoes, it solved all my problems!

ah stretching, i dont know any names for those stretches, but what i do:
    before run- after i get my muscles warmed up, i stretch my calves by sticking out the heel and pulling on to my toes
    , then i do that thing when you make a huge step and lean forward. the last one is where my feet are tight together and i bend down as far as i can.
    after run i do the floor stretching right when i get home. you know, the regular spread legs and lean forward and to the sides, stuff like that.
    oh god, that was hard to explain, hope it helps lol
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    If you go over to the Runner's World site, they have some videos, etc. of different leg stretches, though you will maybe have to take a second to search for the ones you want. The 'search' function on their site is better than the one here. :bigsmile:

http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-241-287-0-0,00.html
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    also drink lots of water, and gnc sells a vitamin to help with that. Mostly it is caused from the acid being produced from exercising mucles.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If your shins are hurting, you're probably pushing too hard ("shin splints"). Take a break to recover, then take it a little easier (don't go as far or as fast), especially until you get yourself a good pair of running shoes.

Also, make sure you're running with good form. You should be landing mid-foot, not on the heel. If you're landing on your heel, then you're probably extending your legs too far. Heel striking while running sends more of the force of the impact of your stride up your body (as opposed to getting absorbed by the spring action of your foot), which can cause pain and injury.

As for stretches, check out the Yoga section of about.com ( http://yoga.about.com/od/anatomicalfocus/tp/anatomyhub.htm ). They have a ton of poses for the lower body area to help stretch and strengthen your legs and hips, complete with pictures. Most of them you may actually be familiar with already, since they're common stretching poses.
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    stand holding on to something and point and flex your feet several times and roll your ankles several times in both directions.....
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are usually caused by pushing a bit beyond your ability.
    Try slowng your pace a bit and take smaller steps (shorter stride)

You can search youtube for proper running form, theres lots of really good videos there.
    It worked for me.

Good luck !
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have them terribly in my left leg. I taped mine last night and was able to run two miles. We will see how tonight goes as i am a bit sore today. Taping is only a bandaid to the problem though, I need better form and new shoes :)
  • JLWilson27
    Options
    If you can't afford new shoes right now try getting insoles. I used to get shin splints when I ran cross country in high school and a good pair of insoles would help a ton. If they are shin splints, I would recommend taking a break from running activities until they heal. Also ice helps. When you do run, ease into it and stop at any sign of pain. Try building up your lower leg muscles also by doing the tiptoe exercise - that's what we call it lol, I think it's really called toe raises maybe?