Salmon Steak

Options
AskingTooMuch
AskingTooMuch Posts: 50 Member
I bought a salmon steak for my dinner tonight, and I need some help. I really am not a fan of fish, so I don't ever buy it, and therefore don't know how to cook it. The only way I know is on the BBQ, but I need a way to cook it using my oven. How do I do it? I have a lemon-dill dry spice thing to flavour it. Thanks.

Replies

• inchik
    inchik Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually marinate in italian dressing and pop in the oven for 25 min at 350. I wrap the fish in foil (like a pocket) to keep from getting dry.
  • chefanie85
    Options
    You can get thin cedar planks that you soak and then wrap around the fist before you put it in the oven. Just a little salt and pepper before it goes in, and a little lemon when you're ready to eat it. :)

Though, if you're not really a fish person, you might ask the person at your fish counter for some suggestions. I love salmon, but it has a pretty strong flavor.
  • MissM929
    MissM929 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The cedar plank method is a good one. I like to keep it simple with some of the Lemon Pepper seasoning and then some lemon juice when you're ready to eat it. It also cooks up well on one of the little indoor grills so long as you spray the grill first. Enjoy!
  • sunspotalli
    sunspotalli Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'd say cover a baking pan with tin foil, spray with some pam put on your seasoning, bake in the oven for about 350 15-20 minutes until the fish gets flaky and you are ready to eat sounds super yummy. I don't think you have to do a lot to fish and the seasoning you have sounds good
  • maryjeffe67
    Options
    I usually drizzle it with olive oil, slice lemons very thin and place a few on the salmons top, toss on a couple of capers and wrap in foil, but tint the foil so salmon steak can sort of poach/steam itself with in the oven. 350 for about 20 minutes depending on thickness.

Another way my sis swears by is to put a layer of reduced fat mayonaise on top and bake it. That too keeps it from drying out.
  • lpeace2u
    lpeace2u Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You can also pan fry it but do it on low heat with some cooking spray. I use a lemon pepper or cajun seasoning....whatever my taste is that day then put it on top of my salad.
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    We cook ours till it just flaky. We cook ours on a George Forman grill, high heat. with a little olive oil. We like green onions cooked on top of ours.

We have also cooked it on the stove top. Olive oil, a little water and once again green onion. Cover the pan to keep the steam in, Dill is very good on salmon also.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I lay out a big piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, put the salmon on top, drizzle with olive or canola oil (flavored if you have), then put spices or rubs on top but keep it simple cause the salmon is moist and delicious on it's own. Cover the salmon by closing the foil creating a closed pouch. Into oven set at maybe 400 degrees for 10 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the fish. Eat it hot, warm, room temp or cold from refridge. It's a favorite at my house
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do mine on top of the stove so I can get a good sear - usually just salt, pepper, and olive oil. If it's a good piece of fish that's all it needs, and I'll usually leave it a little rare in the middle. If I'm trying to dress things up I'll drizzle some really good aged balsamic on it sometimes.
  • luluadelmann
    Options
    I like to poach fish. I just use a skillet on the stove top with some warer. Let the water come to a boil and then reduce the heat as you put the fish in. Cover and let it just simmer for a few minutes. Real fast. You can easily check for the doneness you prefer. Add lemon after you remove the fish and sprinkle lightly with dill weed.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite foolproof salmon recipe, it does look very complicated but it's not really - and the great thing about cooking your own food is that if one of the ingredients doesn't sound very nice, you can leave it out!

Note, the rule with cooking is, don't miss ingredients or muck about with quantities for ANY recipes where texture is totally important, like bread or cake or souffle which need to rise. Every other recipe, like this one, you can play about with the "minor ingredients" as much as you like. :smile:

Baked Zingy Salmon & Pasta

Salmon steaks
    Onion
    Yellow or orange bell pepper
    Lime
    Lemon
    Ginger
    Soy sauce
    Mirrin (if you have it)
    Hot chilli pepper
    Creme fraiche

Fry finely sliced onion slowly in a non stick pan without oil until it's very soft and slightly brown, add roughly chopped garlic & thinly sliced red bell pepper and fry, stir in the zest and juice of a lemon and lime (halving then microwaving them for 20 seconds gets loads more juice out btw) soy sauce, mirrin, and the finely chopped or grated ginger & thinly sliced hot chilli pepper.

Turn the sides up on a large foil square, saving a little liquid, place the mixture on the foil, top with pieces of salmon and pour over the rest of the liquid.

Form into a parcel, and bake in a VERY slow oven for 45 minutes. Cook pasta to serve with it, any shape that holds sauce will do, but not spaghetti for instance.

To serve, put the salmon aside for a moment on a warm plate and stir together a little creme fraiche with the mixture that's left in the bottom of the foil parcel - pour that over the hot pasta, stir it in, and serve it with the salmon.

It takes a bit of time to put together but the salmon parcel can be prepared the day before and kept in the fridge - ideal for entertaining as it gives you the max time with your guests, plus it seems far more indulgent than it is.