Just because you can't see the muscle............

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
doesn't mean you aren't working it while lifting weights. A friend of a client told me yesterday that she doesn't want to lift weights until she loses more fat so she can see the muscle more. While this is true to a point, I told her she'd get much better results if she'd start lifting now and once the fat reduces that the muscle will be firmer and stronger while losing fat along the way. Guess that's why my client introduced me to her.
DON'T WAIT. It's like waiting to start weight loss at the beginning of the month or blah, blah, blah. It's just an excuse to NOT do what needs to be done. IF you're wanting to really change you physique, lifting weights (and not the 2lbs 3lbs weights) can totally change it. NOW HIT THAT IRON!!!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    doesn't mean you aren't working it while lifting weights. A friend of a client told me yesterday that she doesn't want to lift weights until she loses more fat so she can see the muscle more. While this is true to a point, I told her she'd get much better results if she'd start lifting now and once the fat reduces that the muscle will be firmer and stronger while losing fat along the way. Guess that's why my client introduced me to her.
    DON'T WAIT. It's like waiting to start weight loss at the beginning of the month or blah, blah, blah. It's just an excuse to NOT do what needs to be done. IF you're wanting to really change you physique, lifting weights (and not the 2lbs 3lbs weights) can totally change it. NOW HIT THAT IRON!!!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is very good advice.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    You totally need the muscle to burn the fat faster at rest! I do an hour full body weight class twice a week! And also, women need it for our bones!! Happy lifting!!!!
  • stone307
    Options
    I have been lifting for a year now with a trainer but I was not good on my cardio and food. I am fixing that now. I always joke with him that under all the extra puff, there is a rock solid girl. I cannot wait o show her off soon. MFP is really helping.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Great informed post with advice we can all use, as ever!
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options

How much weight should women lift? I started with 5 and recently went up to 8.
  • sweetrice12
    sweetrice12 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    love it. T Y
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I always said that I had a six pack, it was just hiding behind the Keg. Well now that I've finally drained the keg, sure enough, there's the six pack. I love the advice in this thread and I wish I could convince more people of it. I try to tell them, look, when the fat is gone, don't you want to have nice shapely muscle in it's place? The time to develop that muscle is now, not wait until the fat is gone and then wish you had better muscle definition.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Great post niner as you are always so full of great info. Iwish alll ladies would lift heavy and not be so scared of anything over 5lbs. I just upped my free weight bicep curl from 20 to 25 lbs!! I know there is hott body under this fat and it's starting to peek through!! :happy:
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Great post niner as you are always so full of great info. Iwish alll ladies would lift heavy and not be so scared of anything over 5lbs. I just upped my free weight bicep curl from 20 to 25 lbs!! I know there is hott body under this fat and it's starting to peek through!! :happy:

Holy moly - how long have you been lifting? I just went from 10 to 12.5 lbs and it's HEAVY!!!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    BUMP!

Amen to that
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gvswaim
    Options
    bump
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options

Holy moly - how long have you been lifting? I just went from 10 to 12.5 lbs and it's HEAVY!!!
    Well I taught Group Power (which is like Body Pump) for two years and I used 30lbs on my bar for biceps and the track last 4-5 mins so I had good endurance from that. Then I stopped teaching and started free weights last year for a few months but I couldn't progress because I was starving myself and not realizing (eating 700-900 calories and burning 800-1000). So I started eating better 1600-1800 calories started back lifting in December with 15lb weights and now I'm up to 25 and I can do 3 sets of 5-6.
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    Question here :
    As a strong bodied women, my weights are farely good size weights. I put on mass easier than dropping fat.

Is there such a thing as going with longer repetitions and do not increasing weights or is is a legend of some sort?

For example:

- Biceps, free weights, I am doing 2 sets of 15 with 15 lbs weights not to overcharge and get more resistance.

Should I go with 20 or 25 lbs and do 2 sets of 10 reps instead?

Same for leg press :
    2 x15 reps for 180 lbs...
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options

How much weight should women lift? I started with 5 and recently went up to 8.

More.

Read New Rules of Lifting for Women. Or starting strength by Rippetoe. Or Staci, here, http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

OP, thanks for the post. I couldn't agree more!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Question here :
    As a strong bodied women, my weights are farely good size weights. I put on mass easier than dropping fat.

Is there such a thing as going with longer repetitions and do not increasing weights or is is a legend of some sort?

For example:

- Biceps, free weights, I am doing 2 sets of 15 with 15 lbs weights not to overcharge and get more resistance.

Should I go with 20 or 25 lbs and do 2 sets of 10 reps instead?

Same for leg press :
    2 x15 reps for 180 lbs...

bump to hear the answer
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    While I agree with the sentiment that you should "lift" all the time - whether trying to lose weight, or not.

But, I would ADD to that idea by stating you sould LIFT HEAVY.

It isn't just about "lifting" - it's "lifting heavy" that is key!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    While I agree with the sentiment that you should "lift" all the time - whether trying to lose weight, or not.

But, I would ADD to that idea by stating you sould LIFT HEAVY.

It isn't just about "lifting" - it's "lifting heavy" that is key!

The key to what? What do you consider heavy?