HELP! Broken foot = no cardio!

Options
HELP! So this weekend I broke my foot. i'm thinking great no CARDIO. I don't want to stop loosing weight so i thought i would turn to you, how can i stay on track with my workout with out actually running or doing much of any cardio (minus the workout i get on my crutches) any help at all would be grateful!

Thanks so much

sarah

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Check out videos for people who are wheelchair bound.

Strength train your arms, good leg, core, back, etc.

I spent six months in a cast, and put on THIRTY POUNDS... on top of the 30 I already should have been losing....
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Rowing can be good cardio. There are rowing machines designed for wheelchair users that you could pull up a chair to- no back and forth motion to hurt your foot.

There are also seated workout videos that actually do work up a sweat- these are also designed for wheelchair users so there's no standing needed. I've bought mine from College Video (bad name but great workout videos).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Start lifting weights, and lift heavy. And in reality, you don't need exercise to lose weight. But weight lifting will help maintain lean muscle mass which will help prevent your metabolism from decreasing.
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    use your arms!
    try shadow boxing, where you dont need a bag to punch at but you pretend you do. put on some fast paced music and just go crazy. its not the same as running but you can still get your heart rate up. you can even learn some boxing moves.
  • bciochetti
    Options
    You could find a gym with a hand bike as well!
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    sit in a chair and do punches - great way to elevate your heart rate.. go accross your body on a diagnal !
    hope you heal quick!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    you can also use this time to focus on your food! you will continue to lose weight if you are on a calorie deficit
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    Punches!
  • runnermel
    Options
    I found myself in this same situation. I had worked for years to lose weight, finally did it, then broke my ankle! I was so scared of gaining it all back. so, I asked my doctor what I could do to workout. which, I couldn't do much the first week, but after that, he told me that anything I could figure out how to do with my walking boot on, then I could do it. so.....you will laugh....but i did the eliptical!! I just used the one leg to move the pedals. it looked ridiculous, and people watched in horror, but I didn't care!!! then, I also went to taebo/kickboxing class, and did what I could, all the punching and arm movements and raised the one broken leg. it worked!!!! and I also paid very, very close attention to my sugar content. kept it as low as absolutely possible.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above maintain your healthy eating habits. Don't create to much of a deficit from food though or you'll slow your metabolism.

Are you in a cast or a boot that can be removed. If it's possible you can try water aerobics. Such low impact it shouldn't effect your healing injury but still give a decent cardio work out.
  • audddyy
    Options
    When I broke my foot I had a fibreglass cast, which meant I could still swim and do a lot of things. Not run though which I was gutted about YET I could do water running with a belt so I maintained my fitness and didn't gain on that occasion. I only gained the 3rd time I had an injury, just lose interest and took a complete break for 5 weeks... not good made it so much harder to get fitness back and gained 5 kilos argghhhh... Good luck with it, hope you're not out for too long. Whereabouts did u break? I think the worst was when I not only fractured my tibula but also tore a ligament, it was the ligament that took longer to heal omg!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Strength training is a great workout and you can just do arms/upper body. Or you can check out some boxing DVDs, which always gets my heart rate up without any lower body.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Is there a boxing gym near you? There are lots of upper body cardio exercises that boxer do.
    Depending on the severity of your break and the adaptability of the gym you could work with a speed ball easily.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    When I tore a ligament in my ankle I did a ton of strength training and core stability and still lost weight :) Got really toned arms too!
  • jens1285
    jens1285 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i've broken my foot several times along with various other bones. I tried to eat mostly vegetables some fruits and lean meats, whole grains and dairy once or twice a week. I aslo got many resistance bands which help tone and the doctor gave me the ok to use them on my broken leg (i'd check with yours first tho) but now is the time to really target certain areas.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I broke my right foot back in May, and then my left big toe 6 weeks ago (dropped a dumbel on it, doh!) -- so I'm going to speak from experience.

Depending on the severity of the break, a broken foot shouldn't slow you down that much. Give yourself 7-10 days for the initial swelling to go down. No running (obviously). The elliptical might be a bit difficult too. However, the stationary bike and rowing machines should be very doable. And while the swelling is subsiding, work those arms! Take a boxing class... you'll work up a MAJOR cardio sweat.

P.S. Anyone want a boot? I've got one for each foot in storage. Oh wait... I'm clumsy... I'll need them again. NVM
  • SuperMelRunning
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? You could do pool running.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    HELP! So this weekend I broke my foot. i'm thinking great no CARDIO. I don't want to stop loosing weight so i thought i would turn to you, how can i stay on track with my workout with out actually running or doing much of any cardio (minus the workout i get on my crutches) any help at all would be grateful!

Thanks so much

sarah
    Swim - or think of something.
    There are always possibilities when a person is determined.
    If it were me, I'd insist on an air cast, then get on a board and swim laps.
    Or go rowing in a boat....
    Or lay down in an empty room and just rolling across the floor from one side to the other.

The only reason not to do cardio is if you just don't want to.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Do weights.

Weights are much more effective for losing fat than cardio anyway.
  • emmaruns
    emmaruns Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I got into the best shape of my life healing a broken ankle! You CAN do it. If you can, get an "air cast" so you can swim and I'm not sure for a foot but I could do the bike with my post surgery ankle. Also, crutching is like cross country skiing through life - it's a workout!