HELP! Broken foot = no cardio!

Options
2»

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? You could do pool running.
    Another great idea!
    Again, there is always something one can do.
    NO EXCUSES!
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    When I sprained my leg, I did upper body workouts with and without weights. I used my HRM to make sure I got my heart rate up there. I knew I could take a break and just focus on food to lose but for me consistency is everything and I didn't want to break from my exercise routine. It worked!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Spin bike, one legged. 30 min at time, it is hard on the rear.

It's been shown in studies that this still engages the muscles in the other leg at least somewhat, and keeps the nerves firing too.

Did mostly this after a tri-mallaour break. And some swimming. And some arm spinning (boring!)

As soon as he gave me 25 lbs and 10% of movement in the boot, I found I could put the bad foot in and be within that range easy. Just didn't stand.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Do weights.

Weights are much more effective for losing fat than cardio anyway.
    So true, and still there are opportunities to get in some cardio.
    But he's right.
    Too often we forget how effective resistance is in this battle.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You could find a gym with a hand bike as well!

^^My thoughts exactly!^^ Also, you could look at it as an opportunity to build your upper body strength. You can still go for walks, but use crutches instead. You can still get your heart rate up by using your arms instead, and you're building upper body strength at the same time. Also, check around and see if some one you know has a wheelchair you can borrow for taking "walks" around your neighborhood. Pushing your body weight around in a wheelchair for extended periods of time can really get the heart rate up there.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights, and lift heavy. And in reality, you don't need exercise to lose weight. But weight lifting will help maintain lean muscle mass which will help prevent your metabolism from decreasing.
    This^^ I had knee surgery in August, and was back in the gym three days later doing strength training. No reason not to keep toned and you can get an excellent workout with strength training. If you've not done a lot - get a few sessions with a personal trainer to get you started.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    When I had to have knee surgery I used to do a 30 minute abs workout daily that was run at my gym when I was younger. You can add more stuff to it, too. I posted some blogs on sparkpeople.com that you can view with ideas for workouts:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3188515
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3194402
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3197933
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3205808

HTH
  • Hawksbillus
    Hawksbillus Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas. You might also try some pilates or yoga exercises. There are a lot of great things you can do with either of those that don't involves standing on both legs. I have a very bad back and all I do is yoga, for now. I'm not burning a "ton" of extra calories, but with a good diet I've definitely seen some good results.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You can do boxing (with a real bag if you got one!), lift weights, rowing, pushups, pullups, crunches, walks on crutches, etc. Check out http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/TheBeastWCBB/ and see what can be done without the lower body.
  • aqua_girl
    aqua_girl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I had foot surgery a few years ago, I used a pilates tape and did mat exercises
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Ugh!!! I broke my foot a year ago and it was hellacious!! :( I'm so sorry that happened to you!!

I would definitely echo the weights!! Also...hopefully you are as lucky as I was, I got out of the cast in two weeks. Once in a boot I could take it off and go swimming. You can definitely do core work to your heart's content!! For awhile you won't be able to do a whole lot, so focusing on the diet will be key. Just remember though, if you don't take care of yourself now...the recovery will take a lot longer, so don't push it! Focus on healing!!
  • SMILLS2122
    Options
    wow thanks for all the advise!!! I am going to do cardio because I refuse to give up or waste the 2 weeks I have in this cast. I cannot go swimming already checked with the doc, just because of where the break is in my foot i could break it more with any movement. I also have hand and ankle weights that are coming in handy. I want to work my core more for sure, but never thought about boxing, great idea!!! I have 2 weeks then i need to re xray and then should be able to run again. I also spoke with my doc today with some of the same questions I asked you all. He said that I can use the bike and only use pressure on my heel of my broken foot, tape it to the pedal and go to my hearts content. I also discovered that YOGA is a great way to get my heart going. Thank you all again.!!!!

-sarah
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I hope you are healed but if not...

I broke my 5th metatarsal on Oct 27th and am still in a walking boot. I only discovered this 3 weeks ago - but I am taking indoor rowing classes and just using my right leg. It is an AMAZING cardio workout!!!! My class is called Indo-Row but other gyms may have something similar. It's just really important to get good instruction on HOW to row properly. It's a workout that 60% legs, 20% core, 20% arms. I am so grateful!!!!

Of course I wish I figured this out earlier but the past is the past!

Good luck!
    Melody
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    dont eat as much.

this site is designed to make you lose weight without any exercise at all